Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

more new stuff, I've replaced most vegetation and added much more in the flat plains and semi desert sections of the route as they were always a bit underdone for my liking, here we have an early morning stock train leaving Como pulled by (GASP ) A DIESEL !!!!

a few changes needed in all of these areas , but close to completion, half the speed signs I used for the TANE version have now become payware and were seen as unknown , along with many other items that are on DLS but due to kuid changes were appearing as unknown ...
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Default back to steam, the prairie grasslan section and the wilderness route.

this was the dual gauge section , sadly no more.......... the track just doesn't look right and also i stuffed up when i converted to standard gauge.

nearing prower with empties.

Prower has a new yard but more of that later as its still got detailing to add..

Last edited by dangavel; April 3rd, 2021 at 05:27 AM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

WILDERNESS. Rain shadow of the mountains means this is a badland..... its hard for anything to grow well.

wilderness Wye, more to come tomorrow

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Dangavel,
    A veritable wealth of amazing screenshots here. Thanks so much for the great pictures. They look wonderful!

The first set, post #31, of the flat plains and semi-desert look especially convincing. Aside from the...uh...diesel [gasp]...the terrain is so very nicely done. It just looks "right!" You've done a great job at making it about as realistic as it can possibly be. The early morning mist, matched with the soft lighting, make for a very cool set of screenshots. The vegetation really makes the scene sing.

I felt a little better with the next set, post #32, the prairie grassland, as we are back to steam...[sighs contentedly]. Ya had me worried for a moment.

The sun is coming up, and the shadows on the vegetation look really cool in the 7th shot. We get a good sense of the vastness of the route in these shots. Prower looks good already. I'm not sure what more needs to be done, but whatever you add will make it even nicer. Don't worry too much about the demise of the dual guage. It was fun while it lasted, but we are going to be just fine with standard. The trackwork looks very good. Your amazing work ethic just shines on this route.

The third set, post #33, is the badlands and wilderness. It looks sparse and grim, just like it should. Again, you've captured the look and feel for the area. The terrain really lends itself to a vast area here, and we get the feeling of major distances to be traveled. It makes me thirsty to just look at it. I'm sure the steam engines are thirsty too, making it important to make water stops every chance the driver gets. I really like the rock escarpments, especially in the close-ups. They are excellently done.

It's really cool how your sets of pictures show off the route's change in topography and terrain, from grassland to wilderness. Seeing the changes as one drives the route will really give the sensation of traveling distances.

I'm really looking forward to this route. Thanks so much for all your hard work on it. It looks superb!

Heinrich505

Ditto to everything Heinrich505 just said. Great job Dangavel!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Ditto what Gary says! Great minds think alike. I was thinking about changing my narrow gauge copy the other day!

The only missing asset I have is the old one from Klinger. All the other speed signs are already there. Are you sure you have installed all your payware and built-in routes you have available to you in TRS19?
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

[QUOTE=JCitron;1866132]Ditto what Gary says! Great minds think alike. I was thinking about changing my narrow gauge copy the other day!
    )
    Ha, it's a big job , even if you just changed the track , it's bridges, yards and curvature that would be too tight that needs replacing and to redesign, I now have it so you could run big engines on most of the route, it's liberating to be able to use a wider range of rolling stock and there's still the 3ft and 2ft lines to play with.

The only missing asset I have is the old one from Klinger. All the other speed signs are already there. Are you sure you have installed all your payware and built-in routes you Have installed )

Before my power outage , and consequent database scramble , I had only 2 missing items, after it, i had 175, then I've got it down to 80, many of them being old vehicles such as the AA fords, which has already been replaced earlier by newer versions , the weird thing is there are very few actual items showing as missing, I cannot find the missing vehicles anywhere and I've got "show missing items " turned on ! If you remember I had all sorts of issues with my database recently, even after complete rebuilds, stuff from the klinger era that had been deleted in my version showed as being part of the route, forget exactly what happened with those speed signs but they weren't available to use, yet others in the same set were , it defied comprehension that in two weeks they went from usable to non usable.. I also had items that were on the route before the problem occurred just disappear on me. I still am not 100% sure just what went on. I am using first version of 2019,this may well be causing some items to not show butting am not updating until sp3 is out , shown its not got too many issues and has been in use for a number of months. If items are part of huge payware or dlc routes I'm not using them, I'm darned if I'm going to fill up my drives with excess stuff just so I can use one or two assets, I'd rather replace them .

One bit of advice wanted, being a narrow gauge person so far I've not had to mess much with signals. Klinger used invisible signals on his version but of course Ive added sections as well which have none . Do you think the standard gauge sections need color signals ? I'm not that familiar with US signalling , i know in the UK they were using semaphore in the 1950s, which is mainly when this route is set. anyone point me to a decent article on DRGW signal procedures or give your experiences ? is it horrendously diffiicult to get to work correctly ?

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    One bit of advice wanted, being a narrow gauge person so far I've not had to mess much with signals. Klinger used invisible signals on his version but of course Ive added sections as well which have none . Do you think the standard gauge sections need color signals ? I'm not that familiar with US signalling , i know in the UK they were using semaphore in the 1950s, which is mainly when this route is set. anyone point me to a decent article on DRGW signal procedures or give your experiences ? is it horrendously diffiicult to get to work correctly ?
    This is a website that has D&RGW signal aspects. However, they're for 1938. https://railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/rulebooks.htm
    Homepage of this website: https://railroadsignals.us/
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    This is a website that has D&RGW signal aspects. However, they're for 1938. https://railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/rulebooks.htm
    Homepage of this website: https://railroadsignals.us/
    great stuff that's what i needed . why doesn't it appear when i google "drgw signals" or any variants ? probably doesnt get many visits so its buried in the thousands of other higher ranked items.
    cheers mate !

Thumbs up

Good evening Sir Dan,

You from what I have read in the last 40 messages, have been quite busy here, redoing, changing Gauges, making it up 7% or better grades...........?

Your tenacity and just absolutely amazing Skill Sets, are prevalent again from all the elegant pictures shown.......

I think this Route is going to be superb, now you need to do one little thing here,, REMEMBER TO BREATH my friend..........OK........A little Pause to refresh would work nicely.......?

With that, I wish you Blessed Easter Sunday...........

Thanks to all for nice comments , i am also building various stuff in my garden so getting some relief from trainz , but stuffing up my body doing so :-) heres the pix of the train of empties on their way up the wilderness canyon. some of this is still a bit underdone, it needs a few more grasses and sage...

the limestone industry at the end of the line is stuffed , the interactive part of it vanished into the ether and the remaining mine needs work to get loading sorted, so images of that lot will have to wait. i spent today planting canna tubers in the garden and doing the yard at Prower as well as fixing about 10 grass covered boards that somehow had changed texture overnight, trainz doing its thing again .......

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Dangavel,
    These are more great shots! The trestles look wonderfully precarious. As for things being a bit underdone, I think it looks just right already. It feels right.

Heinrich505

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    Thanks to all for nice comments , i am also building various stuff in my garden so getting some relief from trainz , but stuffing up my body doing so :-)
    <snip>
    <pictures removed>
    <snip>
    i spent today planting canna tubers in the garden <snip>
    Does that include a garden railway, or do you need Mrs. dangavel's permission for that?
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    Does that include a garden railway, or do you need Mrs. dangavel's permission for that?
    We used to have a live steam 0-6-0 , but it was a very bad steamer, our old block was big enough to create an oval track , but I never got round to it as it would have meant it going through existing fences and through the front garden, so no , never did have one.