Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

Good evening Sir Dan,

You from what I have read in the last 40 messages, have been quite busy here, redoing, changing Gauges, making it up 7% or better grades...........? :hehe:

Your tenacity and just absolutely amazing Skill Sets, are prevalent again from all the elegant pictures shown.......:p

I think this Route is going to be superb, now you need to do one little thing here,, REMEMBER TO BREATH my friend..........OK........A little Pause to refresh would work nicely.......?

With that, I wish you Blessed Easter Sunday...........:wave:

Thanks to all for nice comments , i am also building various stuff in my garden so getting some relief from trainz , but stuffing up my body doing so :) heres the pix of the train of empties on their way up the wilderness canyon. some of this is still a bit underdone, it needs a few more grasses and sage...
AEYiHbZ.jpg

1PalIMu.jpg

8Ileiid.jpg

augLfdx.png

bLIj70m.png

s5MObFi.png

PVWxpaW.png

the limestone industry at the end of the line is stuffed , the interactive part of it vanished into the ether and the remaining mine needs work to get loading sorted, so images of that lot will have to wait. i spent today planting canna tubers in the garden and doing the yard at Prower as well as fixing about 10 grass covered boards that somehow had changed texture overnight, trainz doing its thing again .......

Dangavel,
These are more great shots! The trestles look wonderfully precarious. As for things being a bit underdone, I think it looks just right already. It feels right.

Heinrich505

Thanks to all for nice comments , i am also building various stuff in my garden so getting some relief from trainz , but stuffing up my body doing so :)
<snip>
<pictures removed>
<snip>
i spent today planting canna tubers in the garden <snip>

Does that include a garden railway, or do you need Mrs. dangavel's permission for that?

Does that include a garden railway, or do you need Mrs. dangavel's permission for that?
We used to have a live steam 0-6-0 , but it was a very bad steamer, our old block was big enough to create an oval track , but I never got round to it as it would have meant it going through existing fences and through the front garden, so no , never did have one.

Dangavel,
These are more great shots! The trestles look wonderfully precarious. As for things being a bit underdone, I think it looks just right already. It feels right.

Heinrich505
I like those steel bridges , I suppose there are such barren areas , but I've replaced groups with single items so just here and there it needs a few more touches. The big yellow grasses also need moving off the track.

Last edited:
One bit of advice wanted, being a narrow gauge person so far I've not had to mess much with signals. Klinger used invisible signals on his version but of course Ive added sections as well which have none . Do you think the standard gauge sections need color signals ? I'm not that familiar with US signalling , i know in the UK they were using semaphore in the 1950s, which is mainly when this route is set. anyone point me to a decent article on DRGW signal procedures or give your experiences ? is it horrendously diffiicult to get to work correctly ?

You can use both. The DRG&W had both depending upon the line. For signal check either the DLS or on Jointed Rail's free-stuff section. They have also used a basic setup for signal types.

Type 04 = absolute signal.
Type 05 = advanced or permissive.
Type 06 = diverging - there's also an advanced form with a d after the name.
Type 08 = Interlocking used for crossovers and wyes.

They have an array of dwarfs as well in the colored-light form.

Their Hall semaphores will work fine as well and they too also follow the same.

In these areas, the semaphores were still used in some places until the early 1970s so don't worry about using them on your route. The DRG&W used a tri-color signal similar to the Saftran 3-color signals. I remember seeing them when I was out in Colorado in 2016. There was a dormant former DRG&W branch that still had the original signals on it. The good news is this line has been activated again to Eads.

Regarding the missing stuff. I don't blame you for not polluting your route with the DLC content. The good news is N3V is fixing that by making all the non-DLC content available on the DLS as well. The problem is this should have been done sooner rather than waiting until complaints happened. I also remember your big crash. Very sad mess that caused due to a spike or sag. SP3 should be out soon(tm) barring major issues. So far other than some quirky things, it's showing up to be pretty good.

I realize that upgrading to standard gauge is not an easy task. I did that with another route sometime ago and it kept me busy for weeks as I replaced bridges, crossings, rebuilt curves, and adjust yards to fit the modern equipment.

That's why whenever I build a route, I use olegkhim's S_ series of fixed track and turnouts and frogpipe's 3Dtrains turnout jigs, which include olegkhim's series double-track sections with 5-meter spacing, regardless of what gauge the route is, so I can change the gauge without worry about trains hitting each other in the yard.

Question: Are you using PBR ground textures on this version? If so, You can use trainboi1's track that he released on April 1st, which is on the DLS with the same KUIDs. He made 24 inch, 30 inch, 36 inch, and standard gauge procedural track with different colors of ballast. Scroll down to post #7 in this thread to see how to turn PBR into non-PBR ground textures: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...elease-1-April-2021-KO-amp-G-And-Nothing-Else
No, I want nothing to do with it , I tried out the pbr mud in rivers, it looked grotesque, not touching any of the "advanced features " can't use turf fix as I have a Mac, just using the best textures I have at hand , if the bump maps are good enough they look ok .

You can use both. The DRG&W had both depending upon the line. For signal check either the DLS or on Jointed Rail's free-stuff section. They have also used a basic setup for signal types.

Type 04 = absolute signal.
Type 05 = advanced or permissive.
Type 06 = diverging - there's also an advanced form with a d after the name.
Type 08 = Interlocking used for crossovers and wyes.

They have an array of dwarfs as well in the colored-light form.

Their Hall semaphores will work fine as well and they too also follow the same.

In these areas, the semaphores were still used in some places until the early 1970s so don't worry about using them on your route. The DRG&W used a tri-color signal similar to the Saftran 3-color signals. I remember seeing them when I was out in Colorado in 2016. There was a dormant former DRG&W branch that still had the original signals on it. The good news is this line has been activated again to Eads.

Regarding the missing stuff. I don't blame you for not polluting your route with the DLC content. The good news is N3V is fixing that by making all the non-DLC content available on the DLS as well. The problem is this should have been done sooner rather than waiting until complaints happened. I also remember your big crash. Very sad mess that caused due to a spike or sag. SP3 should be out soon(tm) barring major issues. So far other than some quirky things, it's showing up to be pretty good.

I realize that upgrading to standard gauge is not an easy task. I did that with another route sometime ago and it kept me busy for weeks as I replaced bridges, crossings, rebuilt curves, and adjust yards to fit the modern equipment.
Biggest task on the timber ridge is Tollume pass, and the numerous yards , which are far too close together but give a lot of potential in play. Thanks for drg signal info, one other thing , can anyone recommend seasonal trees for the year round snow scene in tollume pass , I have thrown in the hemlocks used by Jango in Rollins pass and set the season to dec but nary a snowflake is on any of them, I may have to set the snow height much lower, anyone got any other solutions as to firs , spruces in 2019 which have snow on them

I haven't done a huge amount in the past week or so as i've been fixing all the vegetation sets that would not appear in 2019, thanks to clam1952, the problem has been solved, an easy fix but time consuming when there are a lot of items to fix. Sorted out quite a few sections, but then when driving realized that some items probably had no lod, and were just appearing suddenly quite close to the engine when driving along , so they all had to be replaced . I do wish more creators would apply a height position in their vegetation as it prevents these from floating above the surface , same with mines etc, which have no height adjustment , I've had to add this to many of the DLS mines config files.Fortunately most allow changes in config an
d uploading to dls
KvfeKaZ.jpg

new vegetation on the plain outside klingerville, yard had been revamped extensively but no shots as yet.
Zox8a8v.jpg

FwZnNsG.jpg

after much hassle over finding the correct kuid numbers the steelworks is now restored. some parts of this section still need work.
HRvH77A.jpg

all this section has been revamped and sage and trees replaced, new track throughout by trainboi, who is producing some exceptionally good stuff , nice to see it now on the DLS !
7WV0Shx.jpg

m3Hq30a.jpg

6f8L3Bl.jpg

rOAE99t.jpg

ziEidHL.jpg

qSWNOiD.jpg

One day, I might go back and remake my old 1700 kitbash. The old girl is in real need of a good upgrade now, the original one is about three years old, but I'm glad she still sees some use on this route, thanks.

this is a new section I''ve built as i already had the boards there and part vegetated, it is a short extension of about a mile and leads to a gold mine, which I cannot get to load correctly , the train stops, but nothing loads.
paczKG5.jpg

This is an overview of the new extension . immediately over those hills in the distance is the other mine cluster which you reach over the very high bridge, which is now a girder bridge on stone piers rather than a trestle, in order to cope with the heavier standard gauge trains.
M1KBMub.jpg

mine has been cobbled together using two or three different items, thus the differences in color.
IEdtEnH.jpg

tlkdg1q.jpg

u9kPO4g.jpg

4O2wE76.jpg

FThhAEs.jpg

after crossing this dry gulch the line runs alongside the river up to the high bridges
2mj3Lf5.jpg

XSivSdR.jpg

river is to the right , in a deep gorge.
HMjxoI0.jpg

and here is the new junction, the right track leads to the mines through dense pine forest , steep grades and three tunnels. none of this was part of the original Timber Ridge .
how long will it take to get this complete ? possibly a month, as there's so much new veg , track and other items it needs a lot of checking for items that float. I may release it as a WIP and ask folks to drive it to check for faults. firstly tho I need to get rid of those pesky TUME payware items which are unknown unless you install ALL of the routes that come with 2019.One other thing, the wonderful mallet in this pic was eventually used in DRGW livery, has anyone reskinned these as such ? Not sure if reskins are allowed of this item on DLS.

Last edited:
One day, I might go back and remake my old 1700 kitbash. The old girl is in real need of a good upgrade now, the original one is about three years old, but I'm glad she still sees some use on this route, thanks.
There do not seem to be many routes that feature the standard gauge DRGW steam era, so it's nice to see a few great looking steam locos like the 1700 out there to use on the Timber Ridge , I think it still looks very good for its age. Of course,an update might be welcomed if it was on the cards.....:)

Dangavel,
I concur with Forester1 and Pitkin. The screenshots are wonderful and they compliment and highlight the details and effort you are putting into the route. The new section with the gold mine fits in perfectly. I wouldn't expect the mine to be all one color, so your different parts all play well together to show a mine that has been added to and updated by the owners. This gives it a very realistic appearance.

I am constantly impressed by the way you have captured the vegetation that varies so drastically with the elevation that is being represented. As you climb higher, the trees thin and the vegetation changes. This really gives the visual sensation that you are traveling into different areas of the route.

The rock escarpments close to the tracks blend very well and look highly realistic in your shots.

The first three shots in post #52 are my favorite, as they really show off the distances represented in your route. There are no map edge cutoffs to spoil the immersion effect here. Just countryside that seems to keep on going into the distance. The third shot, panning out over the steel mill is just plain breathtaking.

Your work is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all your details. They really shine! :cool:

Heinrich505

well, getting very close to completion Just another week or so of work , unless I actually do a signalling system, can i have some indication as to how many people would like one, or if people would prefer to add their own after installing. I imagine it could take a considerable time, as the yards are pretty large and I'm not sure of what was installed either, not many images around to go by. I'm quite happy to have somebody add signals and them upload as a different version.

well, getting very close to completion Just another week or so of work , unless I actually do a signalling system, can i have some indication as to how many people would like one, or if people would prefer to add their own after installing. I imagine it could take a considerable time, as the yards are pretty large and I'm not sure of what was installed either, not many images around to go by. I'm quite happy to have somebody add signals and them upload as a different version.

I'd go with it fully signaled. Use JR's Hall Semaphores for the narrow gauge and the JR H Style Searchlight for the standard gauge, both found on the freeware page of Jointed Rail, Hall Semaphore on Page 1 and H Style Searchlight on Page 2, though the H Style are included in the JR DLC Pack.

Back