Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    probably the big difference would be that there is a payload at the end of this pass, gold silver and coal, plus timber, so there would be a big payback at the end. Very little freight goes up , it will be mostly freight going downhill , a much cheaper enterprise than Rollins as heavy traffic went both ways. Not so high as Rollins pass either, so not snowed in nearly as much. South Park line was another line that had ludicrous conditions in winter and huge costs in creating their routes. Fortunes were thrown away on so many occasions on these routes in the rockies.

Yes, but the South Park Line {I assume we are talking about the Alpine Tunnel route) at least did end up in a rich mining area. Moffat's line just eventually stopped in NW Colorado. It never amounted to much of anything until the Dotsero Cutoff, which joined it to the Denver & Rio Grande line on the Colorado River.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

new track at the start of Tollume Pass. Still needs a lot of fine tuning here and there.
    I suppose i could have started the climb a bit earlier , but even then, the conditions are so steep and narrow further up I'd still be faced with crazy grades.

even here there a 4.3% grade

12 bridges and four tunnels, in about 2 and half miles.... Over the top ?
    Last edited by dangavel; February 14th, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

Dangavel,
    Nah, not over the top at all, since the idea is to get over the top of the ridge. It looks really cool. With all those loops and whorls, I'm getting a "Philskene" vibe.

You are using two engines, one pulling and one pushing, right? Or are there more engines in the center of the consist?

It really looks super. Thanks for your hard work on this.

Heinrich505

That just downright looks like so much FUN!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich505 View Post
    Dangavel,
    Nah, not over the top at all, since the idea is to get over the top of the ridge. It looks really cool. With all those loops and whorls, I'm getting a "Philskene" vibe.

You are using two engines, one pulling and one pushing, right? Or are there more engines in the center of the consist?

It really looks super. Thanks for your hard work on this.

Heinrich505
    Two light 2-8-4s and the consolidation, they had no trouble with this load as it was empties.a 2-10 wheel arrangement probably would find some curves a bit tight , but I will try it out , the point was to open it up to more diverse rolling stock, could grant running rights to other lines as well as the Drgw , or create an actual timber ridge line roster, I don't drive much as too busy route building, but I have always liked driving this route and it is a lot of fun doing it as I can just forget about being accurate to a specific prototype.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Been working my way round the route and its about 2/3rds of the way there. I still have some tunnels to do and veg to change, decided to forget about region specific pine /spruce trees are as there hardly are any so just used a variety of the RMM pines and the built in Hemlocks.
    I have never liked Glenview yard much so had a major revamp of it , a fair new number of structures have been added and the tracks been changed here and there, there is no standard gauge turntable as there is a wye in the original route . I will show the standard gauge stuff today and the 36 inch later on. i just spent about 2 hours getting the NG engines and stock working in 2019, some genius used the locomotive sand thats part of the dependencies in a payware route so I had to swop it for another version., as a result I have almost all of the K series engines and other NG drgw locos to work altho it may be an issue for users when the route is released . it is an easy fix tho. There seems to be a lack of the k-37s that still work tho...:-(

this is a joint DRGW and Colordao and southern/CB&Q route, there is history of the two companies working together so its not beyond the realms of possibility.

Last edited by dangavel; March 4th, 2021 at 05:44 PM.

Dangavel,
    I love the screenshots. Your progress looks really nice. I especially like the shots of the yard. It really looks sharp.

Interesting that Colorado & Southern/CB&Q had some history with DRGW. This will give me a chance to run some of my CB&Q steam as well.

Thanks so much for doing this. All your hard work is really appreciated.

Heinrich505

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich505 View Post
    Dangavel,
    I love the screenshots. Your progress looks really nice. I especially like the shots of the yard. It really looks sharp.

Interesting that Colorado & Southern/CB&Q had some history with DRGW. This will give me a chance to run some of my CB&Q steam as well.

Thanks so much for doing this. All your hard work is really appreciated.

Heinrich505
    they ran the California Zephyr jointly , although whether they allowed running on each others tracks is another matter , they shared some overlap in areas so they could have granted trackage rights to each other , anyway, it allows more option of using rolling stock.
    its fun doing this again as I can see all the areas that were rushed last time , there more variety in a route like this, doing cliffs and vegetation for weeks on end over mile after mile for the Uintah now almost all the other items is done is rather tiring , also its on a much larger scale, this is easy work by comparison. The biggest issue with this is the items that didn't work for me and had to be replaced, very annoying to keep on finding items that used to work and which now don't, I also don't like the way 2019 often crashes, but I've got used to it and could live with it if i had to , apart from tree shortages its not bad. lighting is the biggest improvement i've found.

You should be having fun with working/driving this route - it is so well done and so well scenicked. The Unitah is so huge and imposing, so it's good that you take time away and just enjoy some of your handiwork.

I really like the lighting settings you have for your screen shots. You've found the right formula.

Default Narrow gauge in Glenview yard.

I changed things considerably, there's now a roundhouse and turntable , materials shed, new warehouse, new station building, an oil transfer depot to allow the oil from Greenfields to be moved onto the standard gauge, lumber transfer 3ft to standard gauge and a coal transfer track. all track is procedural, and I'm afraid that means that you've lost the dual standard/ng track in the older section of the route, it just looks so old compared to the newer track and also I screwed up in changing over bulk track , forgetting there were some sections that had different types of dual track, it was a mess,. so i relayed it all.
    Anyway, back to this section, its super early in the morning as an overnight passenger train pulls into Glenview, will post more images of the new stations and the trip to redtop soon. I'm aiming to try to get everything to be downloadable on the DLS for this version and will delete all rolling stock to avoid angst among those who cant find it ....one major reason i got rid of the 30 inch section...

in this shot you can see the lumber car I've reskinned which is one of Ben Dorsey's 34 ft Uintah cars , the DRGW had something similar and I've numbered these as the 6200 series, color is a reasonable match but could not find a way to change the text from Ariel to the DRGW type.

general overview of this section of the yard
    Last edited by dangavel; March 4th, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

New stuff, i just lost all i posted so I can't be stuffed to do it all again, as my hands are going numb , so here's the latest revamps of the bottom of tollume pass.

lot more work to do,especially on the top half of the grade, but thought i'd drop something in so folks wont think ive given up on this .

Nice! Makes my mouth water just to see these screenshots!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Looks like a great route coming along.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Dangavel,
    The screenshots are really great. I love the rock escarpments. They are very convincing and fit the area nicely.

You always capture the vast area involved so well. There is a real sense of distance portrayed. Great job!

Heinrich505

a great looking route.