Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

Been working my way round the route and its about 2/3rds of the way there. I still have some tunnels to do and veg to change, decided to forget about region specific pine /spruce trees are as there hardly are any so just used a variety of the RMM pines and the built in Hemlocks.
I have never liked Glenview yard much so had a major revamp of it , a fair new number of structures have been added and the tracks been changed here and there, there is no standard gauge turntable as there is a wye in the original route . I will show the standard gauge stuff today and the 36 inch later on. i just spent about 2 hours getting the NG engines and stock working in 2019, some genius used the locomotive sand thats part of the dependencies in a payware route so I had to swop it for another version., as a result I have almost all of the K series engines and other NG drgw locos to work altho it may be an issue for users when the route is released . it is an easy fix tho. There seems to be a lack of the k-37s that still work tho...:-(

65iy2V5.jpg

rEcWiaG.jpg

9gWtLpW.jpg

2M7WyN8.jpg

5kJRqaE.jpg

this is a joint DRGW and Colordao and southern/CB&Q route, there is history of the two companies working together so its not beyond the realms of possibility.
52JW3EY.jpg

1F30AIA.jpg

O84KPrk.jpg

K6bmfLH.jpg

Last edited:
Dangavel,
I love the screenshots. Your progress looks really nice. I especially like the shots of the yard. It really looks sharp.

Interesting that Colorado & Southern/CB&Q had some history with DRGW. This will give me a chance to run some of my CB&Q steam as well. :D

Thanks so much for doing this. All your hard work is really appreciated. :cool:

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
I love the screenshots. Your progress looks really nice. I especially like the shots of the yard. It really looks sharp.

Interesting that Colorado & Southern/CB&Q had some history with DRGW. This will give me a chance to run some of my CB&Q steam as well. :D

Thanks so much for doing this. All your hard work is really appreciated. :cool:

Heinrich505

they ran the California Zephyr jointly , although whether they allowed running on each others tracks is another matter , they shared some overlap in areas so they could have granted trackage rights to each other , anyway, it allows more option of using rolling stock.
its fun doing this again as I can see all the areas that were rushed last time , there more variety in a route like this, doing cliffs and vegetation for weeks on end over mile after mile for the Uintah now almost all the other items is done is rather tiring , also its on a much larger scale, this is easy work by comparison. The biggest issue with this is the items that didn't work for me and had to be replaced, very annoying to keep on finding items that used to work and which now don't, I also don't like the way 2019 often crashes, but I've got used to it and could live with it if i had to , apart from tree shortages its not bad. lighting is the biggest improvement i've found.

You should be having fun with working/driving this route - it is so well done and so well scenicked. :) The Unitah is so huge and imposing, so it's good that you take time away and just enjoy some of your handiwork.

I really like the lighting settings you have for your screen shots. You've found the right formula.

Narrow gauge in Glenview yard.

I changed things considerably, there's now a roundhouse and turntable , materials shed, new warehouse, new station building, an oil transfer depot to allow the oil from Greenfields to be moved onto the standard gauge, lumber transfer 3ft to standard gauge and a coal transfer track. all track is procedural, and I'm afraid that means that you've lost the dual standard/ng track in the older section of the route, it just looks so old compared to the newer track and also I screwed up in changing over bulk track , forgetting there were some sections that had different types of dual track, it was a mess,. so i relayed it all.
Anyway, back to this section, its super early in the morning as an overnight passenger train pulls into Glenview, will post more images of the new stations and the trip to redtop soon. I'm aiming to try to get everything to be downloadable on the DLS for this version and will delete all rolling stock to avoid angst among those who cant find it ....one major reason i got rid of the 30 inch section...
H1FYnML.jpg

e6wmq2z.jpg

YNqimu7.jpg

PJF30xh.jpg

in this shot you can see the lumber car I've reskinned which is one of Ben Dorsey's 34 ft Uintah cars , the DRGW had something similar and I've numbered these as the 6200 series, color is a reasonable match but could not find a way to change the text from Ariel to the DRGW type.
n0zovB0.jpg

HPzNnhD.jpg

Pa5Nn6G.jpg

6CiqVU9.jpg

J8vojag.jpg

ATv2vc4.jpg

general overview of this section of the yard

Last edited:
New stuff, i just lost all i posted so I can't be stuffed to do it all again, as my hands are going numb , so here's the latest revamps of the bottom of tollume pass.
kyMzXio.jpg

YS8nHDR.jpg

bSUB0j7.jpg

BVyRLdB.jpg

Q6iUJ3q.jpg

oVBvjHa.jpg

FNBTzC1.jpg

ZOcm43D.jpg

bODJMpk.jpg

SxfjbKw.jpg

lot more work to do,especially on the top half of the grade, but thought i'd drop something in so folks wont think ive given up on this .

Dangavel,
The screenshots are really great. I love the rock escarpments. They are very convincing and fit the area nicely.

You always capture the vast area involved so well. There is a real sense of distance portrayed. Great job! :cool:

Heinrich505

more new stuff, I've replaced most vegetation and added much more in the flat plains and semi desert sections of the route as they were always a bit underdone for my liking, here we have an early morning stock train leaving Como pulled by (GASP ) A DIESEL !!!!
Wb8YSPy.jpg

G8zfz7L.jpg

7jOidUP.jpg

qacOkDu.jpg

U2OneNY.jpg

gKoCRiu.jpg

a few changes needed in all of these areas , but close to completion, half the speed signs I used for the TANE version have now become payware and were seen as unknown , along with many other items that are on DLS but due to kuid changes were appearing as unknown ...

back to steam, the prairie grasslan section and the wilderness route.

7n9aWOt.jpg

this was the dual gauge section , sadly no more.......... the track just doesn't look right and also i stuffed up when i converted to standard gauge.
cSHUuDq.jpg

nearing prower with empties.
64omVKL.jpg

EZfgQ9Q.jpg

1XNjJLY.jpg

Prower has a new yard but more of that later as its still got detailing to add..
MuZZIab.jpg

m2U7Ras.jpg

Png68K5.jpg

Last edited:
WILDERNESS. Rain shadow of the mountains means this is a badland..... its hard for anything to grow well.
tpTNl3Q.jpg

2tDKy4O.jpg

RqCjcep.jpg

vrZ56yS.jpg

0aq8j46.jpg

A4UryZx.jpg

wilderness Wye, more to come tomorrow

Dangavel,
A veritable wealth of amazing screenshots here. Thanks so much for the great pictures. They look wonderful!

The first set, post #31, of the flat plains and semi-desert look especially convincing. Aside from the...uh...diesel [gasp]...the terrain is so very nicely done. It just looks "right!" You've done a great job at making it about as realistic as it can possibly be. The early morning mist, matched with the soft lighting, make for a very cool set of screenshots. The vegetation really makes the scene sing.

I felt a little better with the next set, post #32, the prairie grassland, as we are back to steam...[sighs contentedly]. Ya had me worried for a moment. :hehe:

The sun is coming up, and the shadows on the vegetation look really cool in the 7th shot. We get a good sense of the vastness of the route in these shots. Prower looks good already. I'm not sure what more needs to be done, but whatever you add will make it even nicer. Don't worry too much about the demise of the dual guage. It was fun while it lasted, but we are going to be just fine with standard. The trackwork looks very good. Your amazing work ethic just shines on this route.

The third set, post #33, is the badlands and wilderness. It looks sparse and grim, just like it should. Again, you've captured the look and feel for the area. The terrain really lends itself to a vast area here, and we get the feeling of major distances to be traveled. It makes me thirsty to just look at it. I'm sure the steam engines are thirsty too, making it important to make water stops every chance the driver gets. I really like the rock escarpments, especially in the close-ups. They are excellently done.

It's really cool how your sets of pictures show off the route's change in topography and terrain, from grassland to wilderness. Seeing the changes as one drives the route will really give the sensation of traveling distances.

I'm really looking forward to this route. Thanks so much for all your hard work on it. It looks superb! :cool:

Heinrich505

Ditto what Gary says! Great minds think alike. I was thinking about changing my narrow gauge copy the other day!

The only missing asset I have is the old one from Klinger. All the other speed signs are already there. Are you sure you have installed all your payware and built-in routes you have available to you in TRS19?

Ditto what Gary says! Great minds think alike. I was thinking about changing my narrow gauge copy the other day!
)
Ha, it's a big job , even if you just changed the track , it's bridges, yards and curvature that would be too tight that needs replacing and to redesign, I now have it so you could run big engines on most of the route, it's liberating to be able to use a wider range of rolling stock and there's still the 3ft and 2ft lines to play with.

The only missing asset I have is the old one from Klinger. All the other speed signs are already there. Are you sure you have installed all your payware and built-in routes you Have installed )

Before my power outage , and consequent database scramble , I had only 2 missing items, after it, i had 175, then I've got it down to 80, many of them being old vehicles such as the AA fords, which has already been replaced earlier by newer versions , the weird thing is there are very few actual items showing as missing, I cannot find the missing vehicles anywhere and I've got "show missing items " turned on ! If you remember I had all sorts of issues with my database recently, even after complete rebuilds, stuff from the klinger era that had been deleted in my version showed as being part of the route, forget exactly what happened with those speed signs but they weren't available to use, yet others in the same set were , it defied comprehension that in two weeks they went from usable to non usable.. I also had items that were on the route before the problem occurred just disappear on me. I still am not 100% sure just what went on. I am using first version of 2019,this may well be causing some items to not show butting am not updating until sp3 is out , shown its not got too many issues and has been in use for a number of months. If items are part of huge payware or dlc routes I'm not using them, I'm darned if I'm going to fill up my drives with excess stuff just so I can use one or two assets, I'd rather replace them .

One bit of advice wanted, being a narrow gauge person so far I've not had to mess much with signals. Klinger used invisible signals on his version but of course Ive added sections as well which have none . Do you think the standard gauge sections need color signals ? I'm not that familiar with US signalling , i know in the UK they were using semaphore in the 1950s, which is mainly when this route is set. anyone point me to a decent article on DRGW signal procedures or give your experiences ? is it horrendously diffiicult to get to work correctly ?

One bit of advice wanted, being a narrow gauge person so far I've not had to mess much with signals. Klinger used invisible signals on his version but of course Ive added sections as well which have none . Do you think the standard gauge sections need color signals ? I'm not that familiar with US signalling , i know in the UK they were using semaphore in the 1950s, which is mainly when this route is set. anyone point me to a decent article on DRGW signal procedures or give your experiences ? is it horrendously diffiicult to get to work correctly ?

This is a website that has D&RGW signal aspects. However, they're for 1938. https://railroadsignals.us/rulebooks/rulebooks.htm
Homepage of this website: https://railroadsignals.us/

Back