Timber Ridge goes standard gauge in 2019

I'd go with it fully signaled. Use JR's Hall Semaphores for the narrow gauge and the JR H Style Searchlight for the standard gauge, both found on the freeware page of Jointed Rail, Hall Semaphore on Page 1 and H Style Searchlight on Page 2, though the H Style are included in the JR DLC Pack.

I would leave it unsignaled.

I'd vote for signalled, or partially signalled. Those of us that have no clue on how to set up signals - such as myself - would be lost when trying to add signals themselves. :confused:

I'd go with it fully signaled. Use JR's Hall Semaphores for the narrow gauge and the JR H Style Searchlight for the standard gauge, both found on the freeware page of Jointed Rail, Hall Semaphore on Page 1 and H Style Searchlight on Page 2, though the H Style are included in the JR DLC Pack.

if it does get signals, and i'm inclined not to do so as i have heaps of other stuff to do,some of it non trainz activities that should have been done weeks ago, I won't be using any assets that aren't on the DLS. if you have suggestions for items ON the DLS that suits 1940/50s DRGW, then that would be a help. also not having examples of yards from the era makes the task trickier.

I'd vote for signalled, or partially signalled. Those of us that have no clue on how to set up signals - such as myself - would be lost when trying to add signals themselves. :confused:

well I've not done it either, which is a two edged sword, i would like to learn how to do it, for future projects, however the uintah ha sno signals at all and that will take another year or so at least complete, so I wont actually need those skills unless i take up another project as a side line.

The willunga line in SA is the next project I'm thinking of undertaking and that probably used tokens again as it was single line and had very limited traffic . It would be much easier for me if someone else with existing skills had a go.Apart from the time taken to apply the signals , I imagine it all has to be driven and tested and that can take a long time to do.
as far as I can see from the few images i have of US yard of this era, they used lamps mounted on the switches , I could probably use the BDW items he added recently in lieu of the prototypical DRGW ones.

if it does get signals, and i'm inclined not to do so as i have heaps of other stuff to do,some of it non trainz activities that should have been done weeks ago, I won't be using any assets that aren't on the DLS. if you have suggestions for items ON the DLS that suits 1940/50s DRGW, then that would be a help. also not having examples of yards from the era makes the task trickier.

I'd suggest you use Frogpipe's US&S Style-B semaphore signals on the DLS. And I was wrong about the H type signals, they weren't included in the JR DLC, I got it in Legacy of the Burlington Northern v2.

Last edited:
Good Day Sir Dan Gavel, Pictures look exquisite and so natural............:cool:

Now down to Signal Business..........?

My thoughts, you have put in endless hours of labor intensive work into this project......The Detail and diversity of Flora and hardscape among many other noted Details, not copied and pasted, but individually placed just shows your intensity for perfection Dan........:)

If you will allow it, Please let the us decide if there should be Signals or not? If it we think it should be signalized ,then we assume the duty and diligence to complete that task! ;)

It would allow you the latitude for change of venue and onto your new project...........

"The willunga line in SA is the next project I'm thinking of undertaking and that probably used tokens again as it was single line and had very limited traffic ."

Update 5/5/2021: Love the Snow Scenes above, its supposed to be mid 90's next few days here, so looking at the White Fluff too keep me Cool in your awesome. Msg #68....

Last edited:
Good Day Sir Dan Gavel, Pictures look exquisite and so natural............:cool:

Now down to Signal Business..........?

My thoughts, you have put in endless hours of labor intensive work into this project......The Detail and diversity of Flora and hardscape among many other noted Details, not copied and pasted, but individually placed just shows your intensity for perfection Dan........:)

If you will allow it, Please let the us decide if there should be Signals or not? If it we think it should be signalized ,then we assume the duty and diligence to complete that task! ;)

It would allow you the latitude for change of venue and onto your new project...........

"The willunga line in SA is the next project I'm thinking of undertaking and that probably used tokens again as it was single line and had very limited traffic ."

most of the route is pretty easy to set up as its only one line with a few passing sidings here and there , but i was adding up the yards i need to do on the route, and its 12 , i will,try one out and see how long it takes.

Today revamped Tollume pass snow covered areas. can't find any decent deciduous snow covered speedtrees, so thus winter billboards are still there until i can find suitable substitutes :eek:

xxzme6Q.jpg

cyZrijM.jpg

4MD4EpL.jpg

Q3AyONV.jpg

G33qg6B.jpg

ejAbJBz.jpg

wNkabZi.jpg

KWWxSIW.jpg

Owkkiwc.jpg

unfortunately there's a dearth of properly dressed people for snowy conditions, the only ones I can think of were on the Rollins pass winter version, but they aren't on the DLS... most of the passengers waiting at these stations are gonna freeze to death ...

Dangavel,
Great shots! :cool: We need the plow for the third shot - snow cover is getting deeper. I'd say the snow-flecked winter billboards are capturing the look just fine.

As for freezing passengers, well, they are a hardy lot that live in that extreme climate. But, we'll just have to run more passenger service and keep those platforms cleared, haha.

The route is coming together so nicely. You are doing a fantastic job on this!

Heinrich505

Dangavel,
Great shots! :cool: We need the plow for the third shot - snow cover is getting deeper. I'd say the snow-flecked winter billboards are capturing the look just fine.

As for freezing passengers, well, they are a hardy lot that live in that extreme climate. But, we'll just have to run more passenger service and keep those platforms cleared, haha.

The route is coming together so nicely. You are doing a fantastic job on this!

Heinrich505
The shots were taken on a test run ,I have thinned out the snow in a few sections as there aren't any dgrw std gauge plows around that I could find.

I have now completed the Tollume area , added Roys sapling group to the area, makes a huge difference to the river banks. Did a drive from Tollume Wye to the township itself to check it all out . I must admit, these c48's are so pretty, can't get enough of watching them in action !
37UWY2f.jpg

1LypOX8.jpg

NoJjy2g.jpg

4MrA39k.jpg

Lprz1sM.jpg

vrNGsC6.jpg

xmNLLkI.jpg

I'm now checking out everything, found several major flaws in tunnels one section, so need to drive the complete route and also check out industries to see if they work or not as i have added/changed quite a few. if you are familiar with the route in TANE, it has some significant differences in vegetation and in yard buildings and also some track plans where industry placements didn't always make a lot of sense as they would have meant it was very difficult for goods to be send in some directions. Signalling is too difficult an undertaking at this time , I can understand how to set up simple blocks and passing loops but when it comes to wyes and complex yards, i don't have the time to learn how to do it.

Dangavel,
You are so right about the C-48. She's a beauty and your screenshots of her are great! Your high-level vegetation and tree cover looks very realistic. The snow effects are perfect.

At this point, and after all the work and effort you've put into this, I'd say you are right to pass on the signaling. Your strength is clearly in the railroad details and scenicking, so stay with that and we'll figure out the signals.

The route looks simply amazing. Great job! :cool:

Heinrich505

i'm in the process of uploading all the items that aren't on the DLS, and cleaning up a few more things, once I have checked to see they are all online, i will load the route on my pc and double check to see if its all there, remove any rolling stock not on the DLS and upload sometime early on next week.
Remember this is now a route with 2ft 3ft and standard gauge, no 30 inch items. I will include the locomotive sand fix so many of the 3ft locos by prowler will work in 2019.

Dangavel,
That's really great news. I'm with Forester1 on this. Your upgrade is much anticipated! Thanks for all your hard work putting this together. :cool:

Heinrich505

Back