Getting Started Tutorials

akhouzam

Hello Everyone. I have attempted to get into Trainz for many years, but frankly, I find the whole UI experience and terminology somewhat overwhelming for beginners. I purchased my first Trainz back in 2006, and upgraded to each subsequent version since like 2009, 2012, New Era and now TRS2019. I added the platinum package to New Era, my TRS2019 is Platinum edition. Everytime I try to make an effort to spend time, I download content, but I get errors, such as content needs updating or dependencies missing, and yet when I go to Updates in content manager, there is nothing waiting for update. I have to say the whole experience, to me, is not intuitive. I am a relatively bright guy, computer literate, build my own systems and been flight simming for many years. But for whatever reason, I haven't been able to successfully figure the Trainz process out. Plus, It seems like there isn't a whole lot of content online to help you get started, unless I am looking in the wrong places. There is a ton of flightsimming content for X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, but very little for Trainz.

I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction to any documentation or videos to help beginners in understanding the terminology and help explain how Trainz is organized from a User Interface perspective. For example, the opening page has Manage Content, and Content Store, plus when you start Trainz, there is My Collection and more content. I have no idea where I should be going to look for this content I keep purchasing but can never track down.

Thank you for your help!

Yes, this Sandbox is "different." It would help also to know if you purchased Platinum outright or if you are on a Gold, Silver, Plus subscription because that makes some difference.

Many will chime in here. For now I'll just explain this: The "My Collection" and such within the game shows you what has occurred already with "Content Store" and "Content Manager (Manage Content). N3V Payware that you have purchased (or is part of subscription) will show in your Content Store. It's Payware items only. Content Manager is more of a "manager" and "viewer" into all your assets (including Routes, Sessions, and individual assets). It is also used to download Freeware which is uploaded by end users. There are many many great Freeware Routes, Sessions, and items (assets) uploaded, much of it equal to and better than some of the Payware.

To summarize: Generally speaking - Download Payware and purchased items in the Content Store, Download Freeware and manage and view more "tech" info about the items (version numbers, etc) in "Manage Content" (content manager). The in game "My Collection" etc shows a "summary" of your items in game. "My Collection" shows the same thing as the top pulldowns on the Driver Screen (which shows the routes and sessions at bottom)

You mention "tracking down" items you purchase. I assume you mean from N3V. Just go in game and to Content Store the click the "purchased" icon top left. Everything you have purchase should be shown there. (after download it will also then appear in also in Content Manager IF "installed" filter is on.)

Key points just to get you started. Others will add.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help. I did purchase Platinum outright with TRS19. I will keep trying to figure it out, but was hoping there would be some type of guide or documentation to help newbies. Eventhough, I have been buying each version since 2006, but never really making use of the application. Hoping others might provide more information. I appreciate your time.

Funny you are a mind reader. I'am in the same boat, i posted a couple of years ago i'am not a programer and everytime it seems you have to spent more time on errors and missing dependencies. Some times i just want to run a route and session.

My copy of TS06 came with a paperback style book that I still keep within arms length on my desk. It's hopelessly out of date but much of the jargon hasn't changed. It also came with a cardboard cheat sheet of commands that also got a lot of use.

Then the documentation got bundled as a PDF at least up to TANE and now I believe the TS19 version is on the Trainz WiKi. You might start here and especially at the large icons towards the end of the page.

The problem with faulty assets on the DLS is that they are now subject to much more validation than when they were first uploaded. The undermanned Content Repair Group is slowly fixing those that can be fixed but with 7000+ faulty assets it will take a very long time.

Funny you are a mind reader. I'am in the same boat, i posted a couple of years ago i'am not a programer and everytime it seems you have to spent more time on errors and missing dependencies. Some times i just want to run a route and session.

A community member provided me with alot of assistance and insight today. Those errors are false positives and the packages do actually install. Apparently it is a known issue. :)

I managed to download a number of routes and trains, each resulting in an error but can confirm they actually installed okay. I also managed to run a session successfully. Let me know if you need any information to get you going.

Back