Headlights not working on cab car with specific enginespecs

janathan

Can someone please tell me why when I select a cab car enginespec to use with a cab car I'm making, the headlights and ditchlights don't work, but the tail lights and horn does?:confused: I've tried <kuid:375451:100017> and <kuid:45317:102635> and in both cases, the the cab car was being pushed by the locomotive, but the head lights and ditchlights wouldn't turn on. Only the horn worked. But when I detached the locomotive from the trailer, the trailer's tail lights came on. What's goin' on here? I've never heard of an enginespec where the headlights wouldn't work.

The only cab car enginespec I've tried that worked was <kuid:321936:102304>, but I have no idea why because the config file is not very different from that of the DVT enginespec. Plus I can't use <kuid:321936:102304> since it's not on the DLS and the website appears to be defunct.

hi janathan,
I'll try to answer this (as no-one does sofar...)

enginespecs (kind enginefile) have in theory, no influence on the lights whatsoever,
so it doesn't matter which one you use.

Auran/N3v has struggled 15 years to get the lights working properly
smart Spanish content creator Didoz, made us the Loco Light Control Rule
which required Content Creators, to use specific corona point in the mesh

since TANE there are 4 options:
-1 you don't care and they will not work as in reality.
-2 older content often uses LLCR rule, that needs to be added to any session
-3 some content creators have scripted similar function in their own script
-4 since TANE you can put a tail-lights container in the config of a traincar
read about it here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Tail-lights_container

try to study it a little more.
hope this helps
greetings GM

If this is a cab car, then it's up to the original content creator to actually put in the headlight on the attachment points. It doesn't matter if you have the push buttons for it in an installed cab. The extra bits have to be there on the model its self in order for that part to work.

I have seen many, many cab cars that look fine but have no working headlights because they are just modeled without the actual light attachment point included.

To answer your questions:
Using an enginespec that was made for a locomotive does work, though it's kinda unrealistic. I still find it weird that the cab car enginespecs would cause the lights to stop working, but not effect the tail lights or the horn.

Yes, there are attachment points for the headlights on both sides of the vehicle. (It's the trailer unit for the SEPTA Silverliner IV.

These are basically the same car as the MBTA cab car and the Amtrak Horizon cars. These are all based on the original MetroNorth Horizon commuter cars. The script used controls the sidelights not the headlight automatically to indicate whether a door is open or closed.

With that said, check that the sidelights aren't turning on and off when you put the switch into the on position.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cab cars I'm making aren't reskins. They're made from scratch in Blender and don't use any scripting.

Nice vid janathan
You mention you don't know how to add sounds to (passenger)doors

You can use an event file that gets added to your animation on exporting .kin
read about it here : http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/FBX_file_format
after that you need to add a soundscript container in your config:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Soundscript"_container

Currently you use 2 seperate animations, the door, the trap door (as panto)
What i would do (personal choice)
Combine all in 1 longer animation and then with the above mentioned event sounds

If you want something else(instead of textures) for numbers on the train,
you can use the kind name effect
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Kind_name
but it requires scripting to change,
Peter made a nice rule Change destination Sign, and it works with both methods

In the end it will be well worth to learn a little scripting
it brings your already nice content to the next level.
greetings GM

Last edited:
Okay, I managed to get a sound to play while opening the doors, but I can't figure out how to get a sound to play while the door closes. I thought if I referenced the last frame and told it to play "close.wav" at the last frame, it would work, but instead, no sound plays when the doors close and the "open.wav" sound plays at the first frame while closing. How do I make it so that "open.wav" plays while it opens and "close.wav" plays while it closes?

Here's what the .evt looks like:
001 Sound_Event /open
002 Sound_Event open
078 Sound_Event close
079 Sound_Event /close

And here's what the soundscript looks like:

soundscript
{
left-door_scene-close
{
trigger "close"
nostartdelay 1
repeat-delay 2,2
distance 100

sound
{
0 "close.wav"
}
}

rignt-door_scene-open
{
trigger "open"
nostartdelay 1
repeat-delay 2,2
distance 100

sound
{
0 "open.wav"
}
}

right-door_scene-close
{
trigger "close"
nostartdelay 1
repeat-delay 2,2
distance 100

sound
{
0 "close.wav"
}
}

left-door_scene-open
{
trigger "open"
nostartdelay 1
repeat-delay 2,2
distance 100

sound
{
0 "open.wav"
}
}
}

Is it a 80 frame animation?
The simplest .evt could be:

002 Sound_Event open
079 Sound_Event /close

the slash says, play the sound on the return trip

then in config, only 1 open and 1 close container needed (so half of what you have now)
sound does not always play well in TRS (here)
but you are on the right track ;-)
greetings GM

Last edited:
I still can't get it to work. It only plays "open.wav." When closing, it ignores "close.wav" and plays "open.wav" at the first frame. Meaning after the doors have closed, you instantly head the "open" sound effect.

go back to your original .evt file it should work (in gmax .kin export it does)
the / should stop a sound
try 2 values for distance, FI distance 5,100
check if the close sound is really good (can be used in Trainz), by switching the close and open in the config
hope its not another SP2 feature...
greetings GM

Man Trainz 2019 is flat-out refusing to play any sound while the doors are closing. No matter what I do, the close sound will not play, which is weird because when submitting it, it says
; <kuid2:140046:102603:1> : VE264: Parsed animation event file left-passenger-door/left-door_scene.evt with 2 events.
; <kuid2:140046:102603:1> : VE264: Parsed animation event file right-passenger-door/right-door_scene.evt with 2 events.
So it KNOWS two events are supposed to happen, but will only play one of them. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I typed exactly what is written on other .evt files on other trains that have an open and a close sound, for example, Magicland's NYCTA R46 Subway Cars, but it won't work with my doors. It's still only playing the open sound.

Also, I'm beginning to think that / doesn't work in Trainz 2019. When used, the sound doesn't play regardless of the direction of the animation. Neither forward nor backwards. But if I just name the trigger "open" or "close," but don't use the /, the sound plays regardless of the direction of animation, both forward and backward.

What program you use to create janathan?
i know (cause i use it myself), gmax and the old exporter adds the .evt correctly and my passenger doors still works in TRS2109SP2
the / is used to stop a sound and without it should start it.
Once again your original event file was correct (for gmax) not sure about other software.
don't give up yet, its worth it
greetings GM

if you use gmax try
1 Sound_Event /open
2 Sound_Event open
78 Sound_Event close
79 Sound_Event /close

i do without the extra 0

Last edited:
I use Blander 2.8. I'm not sure if there's a way to create a .evt file in Blender. I created mine from scratch by creating a .txt document, typing the correct data in and saving it as a .evt file.

Back