TRS19 SP2 Performance degregation from Intro Screen

pitkin

I start driver and surveyor from the CM. I noticed stuttering on a route in SP2. A useless new feature seems to open the Intro screen when I start a route or session. This screen uses a significant amount of graphics engine resources and needs to be closed. There may be a way around it, I use SP1 mostly.

Last edited:
Agree Pitkin,
in another post you can read, that N3v want to show how nice TRS2019 looks
We already know that, or we wouldn't be here.
Here i just made that screen much lighter(quicker to load) and more neutral
greetings GM

I am not seeing a new GPU-consuming screen that SP2 introduced since SP1, whether launching from the CM or the Start Trainz screen. If you are referring to the Start Trainz screen, another way to look at it is if your hardware can't stomach that screen, it won't do well with what comes thereafter, and maybe you need to reduce your performance settings. What is the issue if it is short-lived anyway?

I am not seeing a new GPU-consuming screen that SP2 introduced since SP1, whether launching from the CM or the Start Trainz screen. If you are referring to the Start Trainz screen, another way to look at it is if your hardware can't stomach that screen, it won't do well with what comes thereafter, and maybe you need to reduce your performance settings. What is the issue if it is short-lived anyway?

Well, it seems to be there. It is the Start screen, by the way. My observations show it is consuming about 50% of the GPU processing power. Why should I give up half of my video capabilities for a window that I do not want? I find your stomach comment to be really strange, frankly. The other issue is that it is another stupid, annoying, unnecessary nit that N3V has introduced. And my hardware does just find on max settings, stomach or not.

As I recall, it does not go away unless I delete it. Always nice to have extra steps to have to take.

Last edited:
Hi Pitkin
The route in the 'main menu' allows you to preview your graphics/performance settings without having to load a route or session. If this is greatly affecting your performance, then you may need to turn down the graphics/performance settings in Trainz.

It has been designed to give a realistic representation of a detailed route in Trainz, and as such a good benchmark for the performance on a current standard route.

Regards

Fwiw, you can also use Content Manager to find, filter and load sessions and routes so you don't need to ever use the Routes menu if you don't want to.

Well, it seems to be there. It is the Start screen, by the way. My observations show it is consuming about 50% of the GPU processing power. Why should I give up half of my video capabilities for a window that I do not want? I find your stomach comment to be really strange, frankly. The other issue is that it is another stupid, annoying, unnecessary nit that N3V has introduced. And my hardware does just find on max settings, stomach or not.

As I recall, it does not go away unless I delete it. Always nice to have extra steps to have to take.

Maybe you find my comment "strange" because you do not understand what it had to say - it alludes to the purpose of the Trainz Start screen, to provide a sense of the GPU load forthcoming. It is much easier to adjust your performance settings with that small simulation than loading and unloading full scenarios as one had to do with TANE. Now that N3V has corroborated this, hopefully you will accept the rationale behind the Trainz Start screen. A better approach would have been to ask the screen's purpose rather than throw stones at N3V; and amplify it with the term "another".

I still don't see what the issue is if the screen is short-lived It is not added to the GPU loading of the simulation.

If a "nit" you "don't want", N3V has provided the capability to launch from the CM, as you identified initially, which still works in SP2. All of this has been the case since TRS19 was introduced a few years ago. Unless the screen's purpose was never understood, I'm not sure why this is re-surfacing now. Hopefully this thread has subsided your frustration.

I don't stay long enough on that screen to even bother about it, it has no effect on the GPU or memory once you have moved to whatever menu choice is made and you don't have to wait for it to load either although it's pretty much instant here anyway.

I don't stay long enough on that screen to even bother about it, it has no effect on the GPU or memory once you have moved to whatever menu choice is made and you don't have to wait for it to load either although it's pretty much instant here anyway.

If you bothered to read my post that started this thread, you would see that I did not make a menu choice. I opened MsgSapper's Coastal Route from the CM and started flying in the airplane. The crop rows were stuttering. I noticed that the "Start Trainz" or whatever window you want to call it was open, even though I never requested it. When I closed it, everything was fine at max settings. With that window only, my Nvidia app shows the GPU running at half capacity.

If some of you wish to leave this window open and reduce your settings to accomodate a window that you are not using, go for it.

I simply posted this to alert anyone for whom this was happening. As is often the case, "No good deed goes Unpunished".

By the way, I know that Degradation is spelled incorrectly in the subject line..... I simply posted this to alert anyone for whom this was happening. As is often the case, "No good deed goes Unpunished".

In my humble opinion, a spelling apology is dwarfed by the apology needed to N3V, for those disparaging words I will not reprint here. That would be the appropriate "deed" now that Zec confirmed the useful purpose of the Start Trainz screen.

If you bothered to read my post that started this thread, you would see that I did not make a menu choice. I opened MsgSapper's Coastal Route from the CM and started flying in the airplane. The crop rows were stuttering. I noticed that the "Start Trainz" or whatever window you want to call it was open, even though I never requested it. When I closed it, everything was fine at max settings. With that window only, my Nvidia app shows the GPU running at half capacity.

If some of you wish to leave this window open and reduce your settings to accommodate a window that you are not using, go for it.

I read all your posts and it was not clear that the "Start Trainz" screen opens in parallel to your CM launch. G.M. sounds like he didn't come away with that from you either. This should not be the case - when you launch from CM ("open asset in Driver") you should only see the spinner screen with the Rocky Mountaineer, then the session. It is possible to manually do what you describe, but it should not occur from merely a CM launch.

A clear problem statement, which does not cast stones prematurely, would have been: "For some reason in SP2, the "Start Trainz" screen is coming up in parallel with a session launched from the CM. Is this normal?"

"No good deed goes Unpunished".

You don't even know if it is a good deed yet because you have not corroborated your experience to be correct program behavior. I dare say everyone in the thread has interpreting you use the CM to avoid the "Start Trainz" screen and that you have a problem with that screen. Its not a good deed if no one else has a parallel launching problem. I responded "I am not seeing a new GPU-consuming screen that SP2 introduced since SP1, whether launching from the CM or the Start Trainz screen." To you that should have meant your installation is misbehaving.

Last edited:
You really gave them no choice after typing:

I am sure they have free will. They sometimes swoop down to the forum. I feel Zec's explanation of the issue with Wait For Trigger has been helpful to someone who might try to alter it (although I do not use it myself).

Problems with SP2 aside, this seems to be developing into a personal attack on the OP. Give it a rest, I for one find it offensive!!!

Back