Setting Crossing (Whistle) Signs

rick1958

Does anyone know. Is there a formula for placing the crossing (W) signs as far as distance, like "N" number of feet per "Y" miles per hour?

I'm no expert but that wouldn't work as there's no guarantee every train will approach a crossing at the same speed. There may be a standard formula given a posted speed limit, but I'm not aware of it.

Does anyone know. Is there a formula for placing the crossing (W) signs as far as distance, like "N" number of feet per "Y" miles per hour?

U.S. operating rules generally require an engineer to begin blowing for the crossing at least 12 seconds before reaching it. A reasonable setting for crossing gates/lights is 15-20 seconds (depending on how fast the gates operate). Use the posted speed restriction for the spacing: 60 MPH = 88 FPS so 30 is 44 FPS and 15 is 22 FPS. Thus an engineer doing 60 should begin whistling at or before 88X12 or 1056 feet/346 meters/352 yards. If you set the whistle post at the calculated distance it will trigger the whistle 20 meters before.

:B~)

U.S. operating rules generally require an engineer to begin blowing for the crossing at least 12 seconds before reaching it. A reasonable setting for crossing gates/lights is 15-20 seconds (depending on how fast the gates operate). Use the posted speed restriction for the spacing: 60 MPH = 88 FPS so 30 is 44 FPS and 15 is 22 FPS. Thus an engineer doing 60 should begin whistling at or before 88X12 or 1056 feet/346 meters/352 yards. If you set the whistle post at the calculated distance it will trigger the whistle 20 meters before.

I replied but don't see it here, so I'll thank you again. That's exactly what I was looking for

You're welcome.

But I was mistaken, working off the top of my head -- the correct whistle interval should be 15 seconds, not 12. Watching a couple of videos this evening it would appear 30 seconds is more accurate for crossing signals and gates.

Best,

Back