Large N-scale layout "Spingfield & Peoria RR"

jeff1959

Since I lost my last route, I decided to return to my N-scale roots (routes). So I am building what would be in real life a larger club layout. The layout is 16' by 10', with 24 inch benchwork depth. It has a peninsula that extends out 3 feet into the center of the room. The layout depicts a shortline railroad in central Illinois. The railroad bridge is the duck-under reach the inside of the layout. I envision it will be DCC with manual switch levers. There still lots of work needed, but it's a start.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Hmmm.

The layout start looks really nice, Kudos!

One thing though, it does not look like you're using scaled up assets for N scale. What I see looks like standard HO.
All of the Model Trainz room assets are in that scale, so if you're using them, you're not in N-scale. The only way to achieve an actual N-scale look are with room assets (walls, floor doors, furniture, etc) that are upscaled enough to simulate the illusion of N-scale size.

I am glad you posted this though, maybe we'll get some room assets upscaled made for N from Dave Snow, Euromodeller, Philskene, Oknotsen and others :)

Rico

One thing though, it does not look like you're using scaled up assets for N scale. What I see looks like standard HO.
All of the Model Trainz room assets are in that scale, so if you're using them, you're not in N-scale. The only way to achieve an actual N-scale look are with room assets (walls, floor doors, furniture, etc) that are upscaled enough to simulate the illusion of N-scale size.

Not so - I have three basic assets on the DLS scaled to enable an N scale simulation - look for "DDD MR-N" - there are a door, table and chair - nut much, but maybe enough to give the illusion.

Ray

I know some of non-layout assets are HO. Other than DDD and a couple others, we don't have the correct size. I may just delete the door and cabinets altogether. The wall height is probably a little high; but I can live with it.

Asset creation is far beyond my understanding, skills, and software.

I know some of non-layout assets are HO. Other than DDD and a couple others, we don't have the correct size. I may just delete the door and cabinets altogether. The wall height is probably a little high; but I can live with it.

Asset creation is far beyond my understanding, skills, and software.

Wellllllll.

1.) Ray Whiley might make more N-Scale stuff if you ask.
2.) Dave Snow might as well. He made some custom supports for me (HO)
3.) Euromodeller is Model RR crazy like me, he is constantly making stuff. Ask?

If you do, make a general post in Surveyors-Operators-Engineers thread, that way they will all see the post, won't have to ask individually.

If we get more stuff, I would build N-scale as well, even Z :)

Rico

Ray Whiley might make more N-Scale stuff if you ask.
Unfortunately, if I did, they would not be suitalbe for use on this layout which has a benchwork depth of 24 inches. All my model railway/railroad overscale assets assume that the baseboard surface is at normal table top height of around 30 inches, which is a comfortable height for operation whilst seated.

Ray

Unfortunately, if I did, they would not be suitalbe for use on this layout which has a benchwork depth of 24 inches. All my model railway/railroad overscale assets assume that the baseboard surface is at normal table top height of around 30 inches, which is a comfortable height for operation whilst seated.

Ray

Ray, if I understand what you are saying, my layout is too low? If that's the case, wouldn't the solution be drop the floor. In n-scale, I was taught 24 inches was as wide as you should go.

Sorry, Jeff, I misunderstood and thought that the bench work had a height of 24 inches. I now realise that by depth you meant the measurement from front to back, which would certainly be OK for N gauge.

We don't normally use the term bench work in the UK, hence my misunderstanding.

Best wishes.

Ray

Back