Slight Error: Jointed Rail web site home page

mrjunction

If it rides on Rails....
Hi
So, when I open your site (very nice revision BTW) and scroll down,there is an image showing a B&O loco rounding a curve with a small church in view. The image is tagged as being from Eagle River Railway. That little vignete is actually on the curve that is just east of the town of Peabody, in the Coal Country route. About a quarter mile east of the east switch of Peabody(*see footnote) loop. I believe that the church was not there before the latest revision? I would'nt want some poor soul to buy Eagle River, and go mad trying to find that very scene. It is a beautiful route to run JR's nice stable of Southern RR locos.I have always liked the Southern"s "tuxedo" black & white w/gold striping paint scheme, and they look great running up and down Coal Country.The upcoming SD40 should look right at home here. Randy

* Scratchy: your routes are superb and I am a big fan,but, in the US, the section of track where a train pulls off the mainline and waits for an on-coming train, is called a"siding". We do have loop tracks,but they are more commonly known as "balloon tracks". First time I saw the usage, my reaction was "where is the loop"? All kidding aside, keep the great routes coming!

Yep you're right it should read Coal Country, good pickup.

Fair enough about the terminology in the US but generally around the world a passing loop would be accurate, a balloon loop like you say would be at a mine so the loco doesn't need to run around the train, and a siding might service an industry.

Thanks for the kind words on the routes :)

Oddly enough, though it might be that in Canada we use different terms, up until today the only place I had ever encountered the term "balloon track" was in the Marias Pass route for TRS12, which was created by a couple of Germans ... :hehe:

Back