Realistic mode tutorials

chili46

I've been using Trainz since the 2004 version and really enjoy it. After all these years, I would like to learn how to effectively use the Cab control mode instead of the DCC controls. My attempts at self-learning have been disastrous, to say the least. Are there any good step-by-step tutorials out there on how to use the controls?

Try the tutorial build into TRS2019
Select the Kickstarter route, and play all tuts
takes you there step by step
greetings GM

There is a tutorial specifically called Realistic Controls. I have found that even after SP2 they don't always work very well though. The train brake, throttle and forwarder seem to want to move backwards from the mouse (Actually, I don't think I got the throttle to work at all), and I found if I tried to do in-cab on the Dynamic Brake tutorial, I could get started, but could not get any speed up, and eventually ground to a halt. There seems to be an issue with the brake pipe pressure with that one still, and holding the "D" key will not drain it. Also, in the Steam Tutorial, there are only one or two items that actually work.

I tried them and, yeah, they sort of work. Maybe. Sometimes... If you're lucky. One was working sort of okay, but then the consist crashed because the track coming out of a tunnel was broken. Basically like a friend of mine use to say, "interesting, but otherwise useless".

Fortunately the broken tracks have been fixed in SP2 in both Tutorials where they were broken. And the brake pipe pressure has been fixed in the Realistic Controls Tutorial, I believe. At least it worked the last time I tried it.

I've always been a either a DCC driver or I've just let the AI drive through commands, but I did go through the cab tutorials this time and found that they worked OK, using keyboard commands. I thought they gave the basics to start cab driving, if I ever want to.

Yes, in general, the keyboard commands work great. That is usually what I use, because actually trying to physically move the levers with the mouse is very iffy, which to me is a bit disappointing....

Fortunately the broken tracks have been fixed in SP2 in both Tutorials where they were broken. And the brake pipe pressure has been fixed in the Realistic Controls Tutorial, I believe. At least it worked the last time I tried it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have the Platinum version (105100 which does not have any patches scheduled yet. It was originally stated that Platinum would NOT have any patches and a table on the N3V wiki (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Build_Numbers) shows 105100 does not have an upgrade. When trying to upgrade to 110491, the patch application breaks with an CRC error (checksum mismatch) on kuid2:276266:100460:14.tzarc. I suppose I could somehow manually edit the routes, but I don't feel it is worth it. The tutorials are pretty lame and don't really help that much with learning how to use the controls. DIY trial and error seems to work just as well as the tutorials.

Actually, SP2 is out there now for Platinum. You have the same build I used to have prior to installing SP2. Make sure you are set to the Trainz 2019 Platinum Stream.IT takes about three updates to complete, but it gets there eventually.

Back