Track marker Question

thisdude

Hi Folks,

I have several track markers set up along the route & sometimes when I tell the driver to drive to a track marker the train goes backwards to it. I imagine it's because it is closer going backwards but I really would like the train to only move forward to the track mark even if it takes a bit longer. Is there a way to have the train only move forward & not backwards when going to a track mark?

Thanks!

Hi
You can use the yellow track markers to force a one way run, but that can mess up your route, depending on the topology.

Colin

I would suggest adding additional markers to prevent the loco from going backwards. The markers are free and you can use as many as you want (as far as I know). Yes, the directional track would work, but that will cause other issues as ColPrice2002 noted.

Hi Folks,

I have several track markers set up along the route & sometimes when I tell the driver to drive to a track marker the train goes backwards to it. I imagine it's because it is closer going backwards but I really would like the train to only move forward to the track mark even if it takes a bit longer. Is there a way to have the train only move forward & not backwards when going to a track mark?

Thanks!

I have several routes, sessions, that I have had problems with ai not following commands in regards to the direction of it. In the past I have made a point that there is a direction on the track and it effects the train direction (forwards/backwards), and a direction marker does not fix it (and with sp2 the end of the track that bends has changed somehow), and I get instantly shut down that the track direction is of no matter.

A simple loop with 1 station and 3 track markers (nav to station, track1, track2, track3, repeat) and forget it, train, boat, airplane, what ever is on that track will go backwards.

So to get past it I've found you add more points to not let the ai look backwards, so now loop needs (nav to station1, track1, track2, station2, track3, track4, station3, ... repeat) and now it works.

what I do is put invisible track behind the last trackmark giving you a junction then put direction marker on track before the junction.
Your train should then not go into that junction.
Hope this makes sense .

I tried each method & no luck. No matter what I did, the train would go into reverse. I noticed "Dummy Trackmark 4" was placed after a junction so I moved it before the junction & it worked! What the train does now however is it slows way down when driving past any marker. The speed limit is 60 but as the train approaches any marker it slows way down to 5 or 6 MPH but does not stop. Then it picks up speed again. There are no commands telling the train to slow down or stop there. Is there a way to not have the train slow down so much at markers?

Thanks!

I tried each method & no luck. No matter what I did, the train would go into reverse. I noticed "Dummy Trackmark 4" was placed after a junction so I moved it before the junction & it worked! What the train does now however is it slows way down when driving past any marker. The speed limit is 60 but as the train approaches any marker it slows way down to 5 or 6 MPH but does not stop. Then it picks up speed again. There are no commands telling the train to slow down or stop there. Is there a way to not have the train slow down so much at markers?

Thanks!
Your train is not in a push/pull arrangement is it? If it is, then when the loco is at the rear and pushing, then Trainz gets very confused. The solution is to add the "invisible loco" to the front of the train (so opposite end to regular loco!). Good luck! :)

thisdude: - Suggest use 'Drive via {track mark name}' commands instead of 'Drive to {track mark} in any event, unless you are planning to immediately issue another driver command at a particular track mark.
That way, your consist will not slow down more a couple of MPH as it passes through. Much less likely to reverse consequently too.
For example: Drive via Dale Junction Main 2 East, Drive to Woodchips Pickup Entry, Wait 10 seconds, Navigate to Woodchips Loader, Load, etc.

Indeed never use drive to, unless you plan on stopping the train and then say reverse into a siding, or if it is stopping to load/unload. Also, it has been shown that too many trackmarks cause the AI to slow down (usually about 12 mph) and crawl until it's passed a trackmark, so it's a matter of balance. Too few is almost as bad as too many.

Indeed never use drive to, unless you plan on stopping the train and then say reverse into a siding, or if it is stopping to load/unload. Also, it has been shown that too many trackmarks cause the AI to slow down (usually about 12 mph) and crawl until it's passed a trackmark, so it's a matter of balance. Too few is almost as bad as too many.

I use lots of "Drive To" (or navigate to) to have the train go to a holding place and wait for awhile before proceeding to the next location. But in this case, yes drive via or navigate via would be the best choice.

If you set the radius of the track marker to less than 1 meter, the AI will not slow down very much, if at all. Once it is past the marker radius it has other things to think about. :D

Back