Hardware Upgrade for Trainz 2019

HgoDR

i'm considering buy a i3-10100F of the new generation or an i5-9400F of the 9th gen, what will runs Trainz 19 better? I can run it on full with one of these CPUs?

Hi,
Remember that TS19 and TANE use the GPU more than CPU!
I'm using an i5 (overcooked to 4.2) with an nVidia 2060. That's capable of >30fps with settings high to ultra +shadows.
Both CPU & GPU are about 95% capacity.

I would suggest the best CPU you can afford, GPU better than 2080, and a separate fast see for the Trainz programs & data.
Make sure that your pc case has good cooling, and I'd recommend a high-end cooling for the CPU not the standard fan.

As always, the performance will depend on the route. A large route with lots of details will be slower than a small route with only a few details.

Colin

The i5 is a good CPU for Trainz. I have used the same i5 2500K for several years at N3V high settings (not max). Ultra for shaders to give max visual color fidelity. The i5 is overclocked to 4.2 gps. The thermal max (internal limiter on CPU) gets hit at times at 98C but I must have a golden CPU that takes abuse and "keeps on ticken"". Agree on GPU usage. I have a 1060 in my 5 year old computer at this time. I have a little monitor program that is always have running and the worst beating the CPU takes is a rebuild of the database where it almost "locks in" at 98C. The "heat grease" is critical. Smear it carefully with the edge of a credit card. Its main purpose is to fill the myriad of VERY SMALL voids in the metal surfaces and compensate for any "reasonable" unevenness in the CPU or cooler surfaces.

Overclocking the GPU seems to be a risk with no value from what I have read. I did it and saw no improvement with all setting (N3V) at max. Use the Task Manager to look for "bottlenecks".

My route has lots of trees which is really dumb since at train level you can't see most of them. But I like to get in my drone and fly above the forests of the State of Maine and watch my train. I use the Ultra series of trees.

i'm considering buy a i3-10100F of the new generation or an i5-9400F of the 9th gen, what will runs Trainz 19 better? I can run it on full with one of these CPUs?

and the rest of the system?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-10100F-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.497786.0.html says it doesn't have an integrated GPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-9400F-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.508420.0.html neither does the i5-9400F.

i5-9400 does have integrated graphics but it is low end.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php a score of 10,000 is reasonable, an RTX 3080 won't be wasted.

Basically the CPU is more or less irrelevant, it is the GPU that makes the difference.

Cheerio John

High end GPU are very hard to find now, one place I tried you had to be on a list and git an Email that you had to reply to within 8hr.

High end GPU are very hard to find now, one place I tried you had to be on a list and git an Email that you had to reply to within 8hr.

If you can live with a 1070Ti, there are dozens on ebay. Just make sure they will fit in your case and the Power supply is up to it.

Back