Upgrading from TS2010 to TS2019?

mcelhoehb

Rusty Rails
I currently have TS2010 and hope to be upgrading soon. Question, can TS2019, TS2019US, or TS2017Model RR import routes I've built in TS2010?

A lot of things have been changed content wise. While a lot of older content has been updated to work with newer versions, there probably is a lot that will not work as well. You might find that things like signals, track, and trees will be faulty or just inoperative and will need replacing. Terrain textures have changed as well. You can technically import the routes I guess, but you may have to do a lot of "rebuilding". I'm sure the route builders here will be able to give you a more concise answer.

I currently have TS2010 and hope to be upgrading soon. Question, can TS2019, TS2019US, or TS2017Model RR import routes I've built in TS2010?

Don't upgrade to 2019 unless you are prepared to possibly spend a LOT of time replacing stuff and getting things to install correctly. Even getting routes made in TANE with niche items that have older builds ( and for which there are no decent substitutes ) can be a hassle, i just spent the best part of two days trying to get a route I updated in TANE sp3 to work in 2019 and its been endless issues with dependencies , items being faulty and having to do extended database rebuilds. stuff that used to be in the base now isn't there and isn't installing correctly.You need to install the TANE items pack ( which i have done, but a few items still aren't present )

Yet some people have no issues at all with the same route and content . I have different problems on both Mac and PC versions with this route, even tho they are the same route and assets, which is why I'm giving up and sticking with TANE ,as every time I try to use 2019 I spend most of my time trying to sort out installation issues . I'm sure the 2019 zealots will tell you different , but for me its been a nightmare and has since it came out. I am using the original version , but SP2 seems to give some people major problems as well.

mcelhoehb - Absolutely! Go right ahead. Trainz has come a LONG way since TS2010 and looks and performs MUCH better.
Suggest purchase, download and install TRS19 (preferably the Platinum edition) and get it up and running to your satisfaction and enjoyment BEFORE you attempt to bring over your TS2010 content.
Spend some quality time beforehand getting to know the built-in routes, sessions and general content - the new Surveyor and Driver interfaces and Content Manager. These are all very different from TS2010.
Have a crack at building simple routes and sessions from scratch so you can get the gist of how things have changed in Surveyor mode.
Only when you have spent quite a bit of time familiarising yourself with the new paradigms and methods that 64-bit TRS19 brings and you feel confident using the Surveyor editing tools, should you then even consider importing your old routes from TS2010 to edit them and bring them up to TRS19 standards. (Done well, the results will be amazing, but as Dangavel suggests above, the path can be tortuous, or even torturous)!

FYI.

I brought in a TS2010 route into TRS2019 and there were a few issues I needed to attend to, but most of the route worked right out of the gate. I found that a good 90% of the assets worked fine as well including trees because I had used built-in Speed Trees back then and not 3rd party ones.

Yeah...the missing speed trees are a real pain. I've also had some terrain issues going from TANE to '19, but IMO it's worth it. Most routes go through the upgrade uneventful.

Back