How to Extract a Route

Selby_deleon

Another question (I am having to learn this by trial and error). I bought a route, spent many hours creating a session with many locomotives, lost it to one mistake. Started all over and spent any more hours. Now, how do I extract that route with all the new dependencies. I tried saving to CDP but it did work. Could somebody here provide the instructions, I am sure there is nothing to it. Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by "extract"? How do you lose a session? You save route and session as separate CDP's. What do you mean by "did not work"?

What do you mean by "extract"? How do you lose a session? You save route and session as separate CDP's. What do you mean by "did not work"?

I may not be using the proper terms when I said extract... The route was incomplete and I had to fix it. When I saved the route and the session, the session dissappeared.

Basically, I am trying to get all those files so if I happen to reinstall the game or buy a new computer, I can install them instead of spending hours setting it all up again.

Last edited:
For the route, use CM to get all dependencies. Select all and save as CDP. Second CDP will be the save of your repaired route. Do not understand the session "disappearing". If you bought the route, it may be locked. Look in the CM list for dependants and see which sessions appear there.

If you find it, the third CDP will be of the session. To be clear, you will need 3 cdp's. I suppose you could then save all 3 in a single mega cdp.

Remember you will have to save all dependencies down the tree for each asset.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the session is a separate asset. If you create a CDP of the route and its dependencies but do not include the session in the CDP, you will have to go back and include it.

A session disappearing also indicates that you maybe clicking on a different route with no session associated with it. When you've saved a route, it's assigned a KUID just like the session. If you were to create a new route with the same name, you will now have two versions with the same name, but one route will note have a session and the other will.

A session disappearing can also be caused by the session being open for edit or faulty. You can find this out by checking in Content Manager. If the route is open for edit, highlight, right-click, and choose submit. If the session is faulty, it can be caused by many different things including a missing route.

If you buy a route and install it, it is still the creator's route. If you then alter the route and then save it, it is saved with your kuid number and is no longer given the creator's kuid. The creators sessions will not link to your route. The session may be linked to an older route you saved or you have opened the route only for edit. This will not load the session but create a new one. Don't save all the dependencies if they are built-in or on the DLS as you can redownload them and get the latest ones.

When you create a session for a route, the session records the route's KUID in its config.txt file. When you fixed the route and save it, the route now has a different KUID. The session is still referencing the old route if it still exists. To fix this, open the session for edit in explorer and then open the config.txt with notepad and edit the KUID listed for the map to the KUID of the new route. Note: this will only work if you were careful when building the session and kept everything on the session layer. You should be able to find the session in CM.

William

If you buy a route and install it, it is still the creator's route. If you then alter the route and then save it, it is saved with your kuid number and is no longer given the creator's kuid. The creators sessions will not link to your route. The session may be linked to an older route you saved or you have opened the route only for edit. This will not load the session but create a new one. Don't save all the dependencies if they are built-in or on the DLS as you can redownload them and get the latest ones.

I was answering his question. Whether his approach is efficient is another matter. I don't see any great harm in saving the builtins if it provides him peace of mind.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, all this sounds like a foreign language. I will try to firgure it all out though. It is taking me some time, to learn all I need to know about this game, but I am definately getting there. At least I have learned how to change cab, scripts, sounds, engine specs. I was able to completely modify a locomotive to my likings and it works without errors.

Thanks all for the input.

I don't know if this will help ... As suggested, if you edited the route, you may now have more than one copy of the route. Look at your route list to see if it is listed more than once. If so, check each copy of the route to see what sessions are listed with it.

Back