Reskins with .im files

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Hi,
I'd like to try reskinning a particular loco, purely for personal use. I've done simple reskins before, but on this particular loco the images are .im files. I normally do my reskins in paint.net which can open most image types but it can't open a .im and actually my PC doesn't even recognise it as an image.

Can anyone help me - how can I open a .im file for editing?

Cheers!

You're trying to open the wrong file type - .im files are mesh files, the 'skeleton' that makes up the model's basic shape (the format abbreviation actually stands for 'independent mesh'), and can only be open in a suitable 3D modelling program like Gmax or Blender. Reskinning involves changing the texture files which are basically like wallpaper that is laid over these mesh files to make up the model's appearence. As I recall texture files in Trainz are usually .tga format which any graphic program should be able to open and edit (someone more knowledgable on the subject would be able to clarify that further though).

Either way, you need to find the revelant texture file of the model you're trying to reskin and edit that in Paint.net or any graphics program.

Last edited:
Back