Looking for an American Steam Era Express Passenger Route

K_181

Can anyone suggest a good route that would be representative of the types of tracks the PRR T1 & the NYC J3a-Dreyfuss would have run on in the late 30’s – mid 40’s?

I am looking for a mainline route with appropriate high speed sections (80+mph) that will take between an hour or two to drive from one end to the other with a few well-spaced passenger stations along the way.

I am not looking for exact reproductions of the Broadway Limited and 20th Century Limited routes from New York to Chicago, just a section of track that would be similar so I can put these two locomotives through their paces.

It’s a shame that these locomotives were included as bonuses for TANE Platinum & TRS19 Platinum without an appropriate route to drive them on being included or available for purchase on the DLC.

If your computer can handle it without melting (mine barely did) you could try the Levi & Appalachian. It is a long route with lots of both medium and high speed running.

Will, thank you for your suggestion.

After a couple of hours downloading I have managed to install Levi & Appalachian on TRS19. It looks like a fantastic route with many of the things I am looking for.

I see what you mean about needing a good computer to run it, I've had to turn a lot of settings down to medium to get it running smoothly.

My sincere apologies for turning your desktop computer into a portable space heater. My poor computer screams every time I fire up the L&A.

When I built the L&A I pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it as I wanted it to be a tour-de-force of all the things I love about steam era railroading. I certainly hope you enjoy it and please post some screenshots I would love to see them.

Dave

The section of Levi & Appalachian from Cincinnati through to Aberdeen is exactly what I was looking for.

Dave (thai10n) thank you for making a fantastic route

Bill
LA_PRR_T1_100.PNG

2021-01-18_175736.jpg

2021-01-18_200528.jpg

Can anyone point me in the direction of these missing items from Levi & Appalachian?

<kuid:68926:800276>
<kuid:68926:800787>
<kuid:68926:800195>
<kuid:68926:800989>
<kuid:68926:800041>
<kuid:68926:800261>
<kuid:68926:800608>
<kuid:68926:193800>
<kuid:68926:800862>
<kuid:68926:800040>
<kuid:68926:245000>

Are those the items by SteveLerro? If so they relate to a payware train the creator forgot to remove from one of the portals. I haven’t found any problems caused by them missing.

If you do want to get rid of them open route in Surveyor.

Search for “Milwaukee oubound portal” (spelling used in the route)
Delete the consist listed under Produce New Trains and remove the tick on the check box.
Change the layer for the portal for “Portal” to Route-layer” to have the changes save at route level, not session level.

Save as new route.

While you are fixing things there are a few switches missing their switch motors between Grand Central and CUT and more 2 more missing switch motors either side of track mark “PRR Lunkin Crossover”

Also note the route uses invisible variable speed signs that set the speed on sections of the track depending on the Priority set for the locomotive. Eg On the fast section from Aberdeen to Cincinnati the speed limit for the center tracks are set at Priority 1 - 100mph, Priority 2 – 75mph, Priority 3 – 60mph.

I hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
Very helpful. Thank you.

The portal edit took care of the missing dependencies. As far as fixing those switches........uhm..... looks like finding them may be like a needle in a haystack, at least the ones between Grand Central and CUT

Last edited:
These are the missing switch locations I have found so far working my way from Grand Central to CUT

Levi-%26-Appalachian-missing-switch-locations-Grand-Central-to-CUT.jpg

Levi-%26-Appalachian-missing-switch-locations-Grand-Central-to-CUT.jpg

Bill

Very sorry for the missing switch machines. On a route of this size and complexity there are some warts :confused: . I thought I cleaned the portals out of all payware, but I'll go through the L&A again and make sure all the portals are empty and do another update. Please feel free to fix the spaghetti bowl of tracks known as Cincinnati :hehe:.

Dave

Very sorry for the missing switch machines. On a route of this size and complexity there are some warts :confused: . I thought I cleaned the portals out of all payware, but I'll go through the L&A again and make sure all the portals are empty and do another update. Please feel free to fix the spaghetti bowl of tracks known as Cincinnati :hehe:.

Dave

If it's Cincinnati, there needs to be chili on top of that spaghetti.

It's an amazing piece of work, thanks for sharing it.

Back