Sound setting or not?

Ghost42

I just had a driving session with the Deltic - the engine/background noise sounds like a mad rush of air or jet exhaust.
It overpowers what I feel I should hear, is this a setting I have missed or normal?
Happens with some N.American diesels also.

I don't find the sounds to be particularly satisfying in any version, and I noticed similar things with the North American locomotives I drive. Horns and bells are nearly silent in the cabs which isn't true in real life. They're softer, but shouldn't be nearly silent either.

I don't find the sounds to be particularly satisfying in any version, and I noticed similar things with the North American locomotives I drive. Horns and bells are nearly silent in the cabs which isn't true in real life. They're softer, but shouldn't be nearly silent either.

The racket going on drowns out the sound of the supercharger, it should be as satisfying as listening to a Merlin engine.
I'll try to find if any sound settings make any difference.

Ghost42 - Do you have the option 'Enable 3D sound effects:' checked in the Sound Settings in Trainz Settings dialog? Also check the volume levels (and use the opportunity to turn OFF the 'Play sound in Menus:' option!)
The sound quality of TRS19 is very good generally speaking, but only when the source is well-recorded and presented.
I use surround-sound speakers and a high-end discrete sound card on my PC and am generally satisfied with the 3D effects and audio quality.

Because I only use the LG monitor speakers unticking the 3D effects shut out a lot of the noise.
As I can only hear up to 3000hz a sound system would not be a good investment.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

A pair of basic Creative or Logitek powered speakers would make a vast difference to the dreadful speakers in most monitors!

I use a small quality amplified speaker. I tried various other options of traditional speakers and other amplified ones. Trainz never had any reasonable bass. I installed a sophisticated equalizer package and could to some tailoring but the bass component was always missing. The sound of an operating diesel or steam engine is also thin and more like hissing as you describe. Track sounds are not anywhere near those recorded by "rail fans" in videos on the web. I can hear bass in their videos but never in Trainz. Several years ago the "competition" made a big push to ride in engines with proper sound recording devices. You can rent that stuff and maybe get a ride in an engine. However, N3V could do some simple tests and plot their actual spectrum for reference first.

My very old Altec-Lansing speakers did sound the best but after MANY years they finally failed.

Agree that the display speakers are dismal.

Last edited:
Back