Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: problems with the sp2

United States of America, Florida, WinterHaven

my problem causes the triangles when i try to use 2 pbr textures together. i put down pbr ballast, then when i put pbr grass next to the track where the ballast is at ,the triangles show up no matter where i put the grass. the problem goes away when i remove the pbr grass and use non pbr grass next to the pbr ballast. i will just wait until the problem is fixed or a work around on what i need to do.
    Windows 10 Pro,Intel 10600k at 5.1ghz, Rx 5700 XT
    48 gb ddr4 gskill 3200mhz, 1 TB m.2 x2 raid 0 Trainz build 110491

My videocard is NVidia GTX 1080ti with the latest drivers , ive replace the drivers about 4 time to make sure it was not them,
    If it was the videocard or the settings there of then it would more so happen all the time no matter what mode you were in !! but it doesn't, so now we look back at the SPacks
    Last edited by steve123; January 17th, 2021 at 04:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Seems like it deleted my save games too. Was I supposed to do something else after patching?
    Listen to that GE ROAR!!!!
    GEVOs- True American Muscle

United States of America, Florida, jacksonville

i would think n3v would at least address the problem with the sp 2

Blog Entries

I'm stupid. I figured it out. It seems now that you have to pick your route and you'll find your saved games there. Thanks for the reply though.
    Listen to that GE ROAR!!!!
    GEVOs- True American Muscle

Blog Entries

Hi All
    To clarify, the 'triangles' appearing through splines, tracks, and similar are due to the mixing of ground textures with 'parallax' (ie heightmaps which make them look 3D) and ground textures without 'parallax' (ie they look flat). PBR ground textures can be either, depending on whether the creator provides a heightmap in the asset or not. Both are valid configurations, but it is strongly recommended to not mix them, or at least not mix them close to the camera or near other objects. Unfortunately there has been a lot of confusing of terminologies since TRS19, in particular with heightmapped ground textures being termed 'PBR', and then creators releasing 'PBR' ground textures without parallax.

This is not something that can currently be prevented when mixing parallax and non parallax ground textures, and as such you will need to try re-painting over that area with one or the other type of ground textures.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Good gad, what an utter mess! Explains why so many, myself included have so much trouble with PBR textures. I can bulk replace under a track, then have to repaint the texture because the original creator (even me) built it with non PBR textures back in Tane. I have found when I come back the next day if I am stupid enough to touch the texture under track I did yesterday with the EXACT same texture, it goes faulty showing shadows and I end up having to repaint it all again. If there are two types of PBR, frankly you must demand and practice putting a notice on the info for that texture stating whether or not it uses parallax or not. This is beyond stupid and makes updating routes or even making new ones even harder when we have no idea which type of texture we are actually using. Seriously you need to sort this out, or it isn't worth working for two years to build a decent route, especially when you are constantly fighting those shadows that keep coming back. Gees....
    Last edited by Alikiwi; January 22nd, 2021 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typos

United States of America, Florida, jacksonville

zec is it possible to remove sp2 without a re-install?

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    This would be great as i think, the SP2 is a big mess. I experienced some of the here in this and other threads mentioned problems also.

After facing several problems, i deleted and reinstalled TR19 (SP2) now several times, finally - i have the program plus my things from the content shop installed without any missing and faulty assets.

Everything was working fine for me in the older version. I am not imressed how the SP2 works, not a bit.

For those experiencing any kind of Trainz issue of the serious kind (i.e. it ceases to work and/or CTDs or BSODs, because N3V can't be bothered to properly vet new assets) ..... my advice is to keep multiple backups of the whole of your Trainz build. One backup isn't enough as the problems (particularly those with the database) can take a while to come on. A recent backup may still contain the germ of a serious issue, as might the one before.

It's also a wise precaution to make CDPs of anything you've just done substantial work on. When you do a full delete-and-replace of your Trainz Build, you can lose lots of recent work if you have no CDPs of what you did recently, to load back into your backup- replacement files & folders.

Personally I keep four backups of a Trainz Build, one taken about once every three days (i.e. days when I work on something and thus change my Trainz database). I use Windows Synchtoy, which can be set to backup the whole file structure at the start then perform copy-only-changes on subsequent passes. There are other such copy-it programs about. This requires a substantial amount of storage but it's worth it.

If (or perhaps when, these days) Trainz goes doolally, you probably then have a complete build that is still alright. Delete the whole current-and-problem folder structure and copy into it's place a backup folder structure. If you have a Trainz Build on a dedicated disc with nothing else on it (another wise precaution) consider a full format of the disc as well. This all takes time although it's fairly quick if you use SSDs rather than spinning discs.

I learnt this the hard way, after having to install Trainz as the N3V basic program then try to get all my local data stuff back in. That's a PITA compared to just doing a wholesale delete-of-bad and replace-with-good.

I've come to regard N3V's lack of policing of new assets allowed on to the DLS that can cause these database issues, crashes and fatalities as akin to letting in a virus. The damage isn't malicious but wastes a similar amount of user time and patience. It also gets N3V a bad name, which isn't going to help sales in the long run.

NV3 - GET A CONFIGURATION MANAGER and a system test crew to vet all uploaded assets, if that's what you think is the fundamental cause of these issues! It shouldn't be the users of your product who have to spend hours trying to identify and eliminate rogue assets facilitated by you; or fix the often extensive damage they do.

Lataxe
    Last edited by Lataxe; January 23rd, 2021 at 07:33 AM.

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

This PBR mix can not be a surprise to N3V. They just adopt a PBR only attitude internally and move on forgetting to tell the customers. This is poor organizational discipline. If you, as a programmer, find some operational issue, that might be encountered by a customer, you have a professional obligation to note it. Then include it in the "instructions for use" that accompany the new build.

When the objective is sales over process you see these things. One thing I found when programming is to anticipate the users/customers use of the product. If you do not want to get phone calls you always viewed your creation from the user's view. I still got some calls. Customers complained that the system died after certain functions. It turned out those old computers took time to process. A simple fix was to stick a clock on the screen to show them it was still working. Maybe N3V could follow that example.
    Last edited by boleyd; January 23rd, 2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 110491

The whole forced PBR thing annoys me, when i returned after 11 years.
    You should open some of those PBR assets, they use 4x sometimes 8x(size and ammount)of the textures a normal asset would
    EVERYthing has to be loaded at 1 time to see it, yes we have better CPU's, yes we have better HD's (m2)SDD
    but loading them always takes time, slowing the experience. Not to mention the spam on our Drives.

My estimate, maybe only 5% of the meshes/assets actually need PBR to look better, cause they are viewed real close-up.
    Keep the old bulk simple and quick to load. Be critical when and where to use PBR.
    learn to bake (not in the kitchen, search for a tut if you don't know what i mean)
    Then the loading process sequence is not logic (could write a whole page on this but i wont)

There are wonderfull smart hard working people at N3V and i respect them all.
    But it lack someone, that sees the big picture.
    Someone that says STOP, we first make this game stable, user(and content creator) friendly (again) and work on the weakest links.

I really love this game, help when and where i can and am willing to fight for it
    greetings GM

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

What I find really, really annoying about it is opening up existing routes to find the textures have gone weird with the jellyfish guts all over the place with roads and tracks buried. If the original texture-creator wants to provide PBR, they should have created a new KUID rather than obsolete the existing ones. I went as far as to clone the older textures I found and use the clones rather than the originals because I don't want to end up inadvertently updating my existing textures in error.

Don't get me wrong here. PBR is great for new routes, but it's pure hell to work with on an existing route and totally makes a putrid mess of everything. Typical no thought process has been put into this.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Quote Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
    (snip)
    There are wonderfull smart hard working people at N3V and i respect them all.
    But it lack someone, that sees the big picture.
    Someone that says STOP, we first make this game stable, user(and content creator) friendly (again) and work on the weakest links.
    (snip)
    Exactly! That is the role of a Configuration Manager, who (amongst many other things) herds the program-creation cats so that their various modules and data subsets are cohesive and coherent; who enforces meaningful naming standards; who is a martinet when it comes to version control; who insists on high standards for system architecture and database design. Who insists on user test facilities as well as system testing.

N3V are using their customers as a free user-test domain. Many do incredible amounts of beta-testing and derivation of fixes, workarounds and other ways to get past the many N3V bugs and glitches, set to run amok with gay abandon.

It is frustrating. If Trainz wasn't so addictive many would have given up ages ago. Some have and are buying a different railway sim.

Lataxe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EJB View Post
    Unfortunately no. We don't have any method to 'roll back' an update (except during installation of an update), and we only actively provide support for the latest build of a given version of Trainz, apart from assistance with updating.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.