Reinstall TRS19 Without Losing Content

torino72

I have TRS19 the North American Version, Build 105096. I have not started TRS19 since October and it was running fine then.

I can start TRS19 Content Manager, see the files, open the files, and submit the files. However, Start Trainz does not work nor does Rebuild the Database. TRS19 is telling me I have two patches but I have not applied either at this point.

When I hit Start Trainz it flashes the following message: "Error: Renderer Installation has failed. Use the Developer menu to show the logs for further details". The Log is empty.

I restarted TRS19 Content Manager and tried to execute a "Rebuild the Database". That never started. Just a momentary flash with no message.

Here is the data in the Rebuild Database log:

? <NULL> TADTaskThread::ThreadExec
- <NULL> Unable to start Database Repair - Engine startup failed

Windows Content Manager shows TRS19.exe as running and the Applications tab says Launcher is Running.

So, I'm thinking I need to reinstall TRS19. Is there a way to reinstall it without losing the content files? Can you copy certain folders containing content out of the broken version, reinstall and copy your content folders back into the reinstalled version (similar to what we did in older Trainz versions) and have it work? If so, what files need to be saved?

My Local & Original folders are at this address. Is that all I need to copy back into the reinstalled version?

C:\Users\torino72\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build be9rrmb11\

Last edited:
Yes. When you reinstall it will make another "build" folder next to this with another "build" name (and ask default setting for graphics). After the install and initial startup just change the path to the one you give above (your good one). The folder can actually be located anywhere as long as you change the path to it. Once you verify everything is working as expected with your original data folder you can delete the new one that TRS19 made on the re-install.

For reference, on the "Trainz Settings" > "Install" tab there is a button for an info page. It says "Instructions for moving your content" - It goes to a
Wiki page.

Before you do these type things it's always a good idea (mandatory idea?) to have backup. But then, you should always have a backup of your entire disk.

Here is an update and solution to my problem. First, thanks to those who pointed me to the posts regarding similar TRS19 issues. It was helpful, though apparently not all TRS19 editions are set up the same. In my case, the "USERDATA" folder is the build number, as shown below:

I'll provide a little more info before giving my solution. I was having extensive PC problems in December and, in early January, I replaced my hard drive and restored my PC using an Image file that was dated in April, 2020. I then brought my system up to date by restoring backups of my "sensitive" data that I do monthly, including the TRS19 program. I used a backup that was saved in December of the TRS19 program off the old hard drive. When I started TRS19 (Content Manager) on the new drive I received the message that I had two patches for TRS19. I appled the first patch successfully but the second patch failed. It was then that I tried Start Trainz and later a Rebuild Database and neither worked. My assumption was that the patches destroyed my game.

So, I renamed my defective game in the C:\Auran\ folder as TRS19problem and the N3V Games portion as C:\Users\torino72\AppData\Local\N3V Gamesproblem\trs19\build be9rrmb11\.

My TRS19 start icon path was/is "C:\Auran\TRS19\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019\TRS19.exe"

I then used a restore of a backup of TRS19 and the N3V Games that I had saved on October 30, 2020. The new paths were C:\Auran\TRS19 &
It was when I started the October restored version that I had the issues I posted in #1, above.

Today I renamed C:\Auran\TRS19problem to C:\Auran\xxTRS19problem &
C:\Users\torino72\AppData\Local\N3V Gamesproblem\trs19\build be9rrmb11\ to
C:\Users\torino72\AppData\Local\xxN3V Gamesproblem\trs19\build be9rrmb11\.

To my suprise I was able to Start Trainz, access and run or edit routes and sessions and do a database repair. So, everything is back to normal. That is all I did and I have no idea why it worked. I'm debating now whether to try those patches again.

Last edited:
The reason this worked is because you renamed the "missing" folder to build be955mb11 and the program found it.

If possible, I highly recommend, moving that folder elsewhere out of the app data/local data path. If you have a second hard disk, copy the folder there and rename it to TRS2019_data or something like that, which I did when I put mine on my E: drive.

I then used the Install tab, browsed, found it, selected it, and was off and running in a few minutes. Everything I had previously, when the data was first installed on the C: drive under user/.../app data/local etc., was intact.

The other reason for putting the data, along with the documents and pictures too, elsewhere is incase the OS needs replacing. With the data off of the boot drive, the drive can be replaced easily with the only thing to worry about then is the applications and the OS. I have done this for years since when hard disks became available. Today, I keep my documents folder, which also contains my pictures, music, and videos, on my D: drive. When I recently did a fresh OS install, everything was intact and only required a reinstallation of my Office apps and other programs in addition to the OS.

Back to the Trainz data. Having that out of the user app data path, makes things easier overall for management including data repairs, reskinning, and dealing with other file issues as time goes on. That app data path is too all inclusive of other temporary files, and not a good place to keep data of any kind. This is one thing that Microsoft should have thought about a bit more.

If you only have a single hard drive, you can still place your user-content folder anywhere on the single drive as I did on an older laptop at one time when I had TANE.

Back