"New Version Available" - Process?

boleyd

What is the remedial process when you see an asset marked as New Version Available?
At one time there was a marked newer asset next to the New Version Available asset.
That does not seem to be the case now.

The wording was changed to confuse the innocent. ;)

It means the same as before. Go ahead and download, I do and I keep all my content up-to-date.

I have 28 New Version Available items where Download has no impact. Many are very old and possibly INCORRECTLY labeled.

Last edited:
You have to right-click and select "List asset Versions", then download the latest version. For some reason, it won't just download the latest version. And to really make it annoying, you have to do this ONE AT A TIME.

I have 28 New Version Available items where Download has no impact. Many are very old and obviously INCORRECTLY labeled.

No they are not incorrectly labeled.......

Follow these pointers:

On item that says Newer Version Available>Right Click on the Asset>Right Click-List Asset Versions Available.

This will take you to another screen......select highest version number for asset and download.

The post above is correct. You can download all at one time. Highlight assets that say "Newer Version Available" (easy if they are sorted so they are listed together) and right click on one of them and click "List Asset Versions Available." At this point you will see ALL the version available for all those assets. The trick is to make sure they are sorted so all the new ones "available" are are displayed next to each other. You can then select them all and "download." Be very careful that you select ONLY the newest versions.

You can select everything in the view asset versions list and select download. CM will only download the latest version. No need to do things one at at time.

CM always downloads only the newest version of an asset when you select download from the right click menu (even if you right clicked on an old version). The only way to download an old version is to select "Download this version" on an old asset. So selecting all out of date assets and right clicking one of them and selecting download will update them all. The exception to this is for built in/payware assets, which do nothing when selecting download, they will still update though if you highlight them and then select download form a non-payware/built in. If your list only has payware/built in in it then you need to go to view asset versions to find a DLS version to right click on.

Last edited:
Ok, followed the detailed process and ended up being told that the item was Obsolete.
Did a mass selection and also ended up with all Obsoletes.
Waste of 2 minutes. A simple few lines of code by N3V may have also fixed this.

Fixing, while not USING N3v stuff, is a constant annoyance. Those with more patience, or have not seen this level of customer "repairing", may feel it to be an offense when criticism is expressed. I can understand their feelings. Moaners and Groaners can be annoying.

However, I have spent MANY hours fiddling with N3Vs attempts to preserve an ancient database holding my critical data. Fortunately, there are almost always a few people who know a fix and a few others who know another fix, etc. So, despite the terror of a massive "red sea" when you load your route, salvation comes from some kind soul that has the answer.:udrool:

Have you tried a new install? (Assuming of course all your own and 3rd party assets are "backed up" so you can install them again?) I don't mess around trying to fix stuff for "hours." In less time I can just do a "clean" new install and install my cdp's as needed. (Admittedly, I have fast internets and multiple computers so I can work while downloads occur. A new install is no big deal.)

Should I have to do this? No. But it is by far easier than trying to analyze a bunch of issues and trying to fix.

I just migrated to larger disks and did a new install from the latest download (SP2) including user data folders. (A "Plus" install and a "Plus Beta" stream install.) Everything works great. Nothing broken. I'm on Gold and I end up downloading most every route (for the assets) but clicking a "download" button is pretty simple. I can deal with that. Anyway, just an idea to consider.

Last edited:
I completely agree. My install of 110481 is from the recent release of SP2. 12/18/20
Can it become contaminated - yes. However, the local database may be more vulnerable due to more read/writes.
From what I can see, and understand, N3Vseems to be in a perpetual cleanup of the database. They chase the past, and with new features, battle with the present.

edh6 says "CM always downloads only the newest version of an asset".

I have to disagree. I downloaded a map just last week. It contained some obsolete assets which were downloaded even though I had the latest version installed. I have also had cases where the older asset is not on the dsl and shows as missing even though I have the newer version installed.

Rob

The assets that are now obsolete can be deleted except for the built-in and DLC ones because those are located in package files. I do this daily when I check for content. Outside of a few bad assets occasionally, the process works well. In those odd cases, I'll download the previous version if I cleaned up first because I usually check for missing and faulty assets before cleaning up the obsolete ones.

To assist with this process, I have setup two filters.

1) Installed, Out of date. I check this filter first.

This will check only installed and out of date assets rather than include DLS as well.

2) Obsolete and not built-in.

I delete the contents of this filter once everything is installed.

Afterwards, I then check for new content.

Downloading a map from the DLS shouldn't grab any obsolete content as well. The only time you'll end up with that is when you've installed content from a third-party website. This happened to me recently when I installed a route from a third-party. Their local assets turned out to have more updated ones up on the DLS. After dealing with open for edits, I checked the out of date assets again, and sure enough there was a large number of obsolete assets requiring updates that came in with the dependency packs.

The reason for the second-step on DLC and Built-ins is a safety net requiring actually clicking on the assets to confirm download. If there is a large number of built-in assets as well as off the DLS, I will do the show versions while selecting both the built-ins as well as DLS assets. They will all be listed and I can download them at once. It helps to sort the data in that window by status to keep all the available for downloads together because that makes selecting them easier.

Unfortunately "Installed, out of date" doesn't work properly. I've just tried that and several items are listed yet there is no newer version, so seems a bit of a hit and miss?

Unfortunately "Installed, out of date" doesn't work properly. I've just tried that and several items are listed yet there is no newer version, so seems a bit of a hit and miss?

The actual filters are:

Installed = True
Out of date = True

and

Obsolete and note built-in:

Installed = True
Obsolete = True
Built-in = False

If you haven't already cleaned up the out of date assets, then there should be something there.

The obsolete should have stuff if you've already updated content previously.

Back