Good Routes

Good is in the eye of the beholder. What you might consider "good" someone else might put into the "so-so" category. Go to the Download Station and pick a few. Download them, and see what you think. Those of us who have put routes on the DLS would naturally think theirs is in the running for "good," so here's mine: Wild Bill II and The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.

Bill

Can anybody recommend good long routes?

Long? How long?

As Bill pointed out, opinions of "good" will vary. Some prefer steam era, others diesel, electric, rural, freight or commuter. Some find long routes boring and prefer short haul with lots of shunting. Then there is prototypical and fantasy (do like driving trains on Mars?). All interests are catered for here.

One piece of advice I can give you is to look for routes in the Freeware Announcements forum. Route creators who post there will usually provide a good summary of what their route and its sessions are all about and from the feedback you can get user reactions.

My opinions.

If you want a LONG good route try <kuid:95512:101263> UMR2021 by neilsmith749. It is at build 4.7 so you need the updated TRS19.

One piece of advice I can give you is to look for routes in the Freeware Announcements forum. Route creators who post there will usually provide a good summary of what their route and its sessions are all about and from the feedback you can get user reactions.

I wish that was the case. It would make it so much easier to decide whether a route was worth downloading or not, whether there were thousands of missing dependencies, and whether there were sessions for the route.

To the original poster -- how long is "long"? Freight or passenger? If you mean sort of longish and freight focused then this might appeal to you:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?157492-Newish-TRS19-route-The-Rivercide-Railroad-Co

Phil

"One piece of advice I can give you is to look for routes in the Freeware Announcements forum. "

I wish that was the case. It would make it so much easier to decide whether a route was worth downloading or not, whether there were thousands of missing dependencies, and whether there were sessions for the route.

True. Not all creators give the full story and the problem of missing dependencies can be easily solved if creators who use 3rd party assets post that information, and where to find them. Or better still, only use assets from the DLS or built in. But we live in an imperfect world.

To answer your question........

Can anybody recommend good long routes? I prefer free, but payware is ok too if they are good.

Thanks

My current favorite is, The Rocky Mountains Montana Track New Era on the download station.

I would say that it is a good veriation of the Marias Pass routes of past.

It's kind of long; maybe two hours to drive end to end. It doesn't have impossible grades like the one in MSTS. It has a decent amount of industries if you like that. One thing I particularly like is that there are turn-tables everyware. I make open ended sessions and I drive mostly steam so being able to turn my locos and go back the other way is important to me.

I've been learning a few things lately, like placing coaling towers and water tanks and I have even replaced a couple non-functual MIN's with the BI3 industry tracks.

Another thing that works really well are the passenger stations on this route. To provide other traffic to interact with, I have short AI passenger trains starting from each end of this mostly linear route and hitting every station in between and they always stop, unload and load which doesn't happen with stations on some other routes.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Check out neilsmith749's UMR2021 (kuid:95512:101263).

EDIT: Make sure you grab the base session (kuid2:95512:101264:4) too.

Last edited:
It's been recommended a few times, but UMR2021 is a solid choice that offers a little bit of everything.

I really like the "BNSF: Clovis to Lubbock" route by maxwerks on the DLS.

My all-time favorite route lies on the payware side. "Marias Pass Route X 4.5" from hp-trainz.de is a bit dated by modern Trainz standards, but it's still loads of fun and keeps me occupied for hours. You get high-speed mainline through the plains, some beautiful mountain scenery, and some branch line switching ops. It runs €25 (currently around US$30) and includes tons of custom scenery and trains. It's well worth the price.

Matt

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend good long routes? I prefer free, but payware is ok too if they are good.

Thanks
If you like English Routes, then search by author Driver_Col (me!) .... I have a quite strong following so must assume that they like my Routes. A new version of Logan Beck (for TANE) has just recently been uploaded to DLS and I am expecting it to be available later today. It is North of England Route based around 1920's/30's. Try the Route and the Session and, if you like it, then I have much longer Routes on DLS (i.e. Badger Tanglefoot)! Regards. Colin.

One of my favorites is Alma Valley and it’s session by davesnow. It’s on the DLS. Beautiful scenery. It takes a pretty good computer to run with sliders maxed out.

One of my favorites is Alma Valley and it’s session by davesnow. It’s on the DLS. Beautiful scenery. It takes a pretty good computer to run with sliders maxed out.

Thank you all for the recommendation. I will download some of the recommeded routes, once the CM decides to work again.

Back