Proof of concept

Hi, all, and a Happy New Year to all of you !
At the moment I am working on an HO layout created with TS2019 Platinum, and I have found in YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8NGOL71w3c ) a "proof of concept" layout that is extremely interesting because the "pieces of furniture" that hold the layout are not always rectangular; some of these are actually octogonal !
How can I achieve that effect ?
Thanks in advance.

In Surveyor you will need to create a "floor" for your layout, with the terrain tools. This can be done after you know where your layout tabletop edges will be.

When you're doing this along the edges of your layout "table", it will create an angled edge at 45 degrees, bisecting the grid squares along that edge.

Once your angled edge is smooth and even, use dig-hole pieces (objects tab) to remove the grid squares along that edge.

Cover the now jagged edge you have created, with flat edge splines.

Then you can clik/drag the wood edge splines you see in Philskenes video along that edge - adjust the spline height to form the finished angled table edge.

I suggest cloning Phils layout on the Content Manager, then open in Surveyor and start pulling the edge work apart so yo can see how it's put together.

You may need to choose the corresponding layer in the layers tab to be able to manipulate those edge splines.

It's pretty easy, but very tedious.

Rico

Last edited:
tfr --

I suggest you download one of my TRS19 layouts and take it to pieces to see how it's done. It's all done by using the terrain tools to create the floor and then adding facia splines. There aint no dig holes. There aint no layers. The 45 degree cuts when making the floor take a little care -- set the diameter of the dig tool to the first setting.

The alternative approach is to use dig holes, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X5OvItoK0&feature=youtu.be

However, with this you cannot do the 45 degree angles and I hate working with dig holes.

Phil

tfr --

I suggest you download one of my TRS19 layouts and take it to pieces to see how it's done. It's all done by using the terrain tools to create the floor and then adding facia splines. There aint no dig holes. There aint no layers. The 45 degree cuts when making the floor take a little care -- set the diameter of the dig tool to the first setting.

The alternative approach is to use dig holes, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_X5OvItoK0&feature=youtu.be

However, with this you cannot do the 45 degree angles and I hate working with dig holes.

Phil

OK, got it. Many thanks to you both

OK, got it. Many thanks to you both

Hi, Phil.

I followed your advice and downloaded your layouts from the DLS ; they DO look hugely interesting.
And now I have a stupid problem : I have downloaded them and I can find them as assets in Content Manager. But I can't include them as assets in a new route...
Can you help ? Thanks in advance.

Tfr.

PS : Sorry, Phil ; please forget it. The layout is now in TRS19, out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Back