Painting

jeffy88

is it possible to find files to your content, such as your engines and rolling stock and paint them to have different schemes?
like say i want to take a payware engine such as the CSX SD50 and put the YN2 or YN1 or a custom scheme on it can i do so?
and can i do that with engines from the download station too. and no i wont be publishing them just for personal use.
But i would like to make some custom railroad schemes too and was just curious if can be done.
i have GIMP image program.
and also when i make these paints if its possible. is it possible to just make it to where i can place the engine or rolling stock and have it change between all paints when you add said engine or rolling stock into the world. and what i mean by that is.
will it retain its original paint files that came with it but also be able to read my custom files and just change the schemes when i place them into the world like they do with the engine numbers and rolling stock reporting mark numbers?

and also if this is possible where do these files go and where would i find the file to edit in a image program?

Thanks

You can customize all you want and it will stay in your own Content Manager under your username and KUID number. If you ever want to upload it or share it though, you must get permission from the original creator, unless that creator has posted a release of rights.

There was a suplimentary program that Auran (now N3V Games) formerly offered for Trainz called 'Paint Shed' that allowed you to easily reskin a small selection of trains, but they stopped supporting it many years ago and I'm not even sure it will even work with modern versions of Trainz unless you have an older compatiable version of Trainz to install it into and then transfer into Trainz Simulator 2019. I don't even know where it could even be downloaded as the link has long disappeared from the main Trainz page (my version came bundled with my copy of Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004).

So really that's not an option anymore sadly I don't think, so otherwise your only other option is to reskin content yourself, but it's rather complicated for a beginner. That link Johnwhelan posted above is a good place to start. :)

Unfortunately, you can't reskin the DLC or built-in assets, but you can do so with assets you download from the Download Station. User Dave Snow (davesnow) specifically allows you to do that as long as you give him credit should you upload your reskins to the Download Station (DLS).

With assets becoming more complicated, as much as some authors allow reskinning, the process can become quite complex with the introduction of PBR. Dave's models don't implement that and he also has undecorated models that you can texture how you like.

Back