Do AI trains change junctions?

Unlited

Does this thing ever happen?

Example, I have a route named ALL AMSTERDAM 2 with a random train, and I want it to go from Amsterdam Central Station to Amsterdam Airport, but there are a lot of junctions and i don't know if the train is going changing the junctions.

Your train (passenger, presumably) is going to be very slow because the AI only sees one or two junctions ahead, so it will probably creep, although it will get there eventually given a "Navigate/Drive To" command.

You want to consider using an Interlocking Tower asset and configure your routes with it, which relieves the AI of the decision-making.

Alternatively you could set up a rule applying to that train using the Set Junctions rule and program it that way.

Note that the two methods are mutually incompatible. You have to do one or the other.

Perhaps someone else can suggest an alternative to these.

Have fun!

:B~)

AI can always change junctions, but if you don't set them in advance it may stop and think about it before it decides to do so, thereby slowing up the timetable. If you need the junctions set the wrong way (Ie for yourself or another AI), and don't use IT (Interlocking towers which have problems) you can set a trigger to switch the junction for and by the AI, with a time delay to revert it after passing.

I have found the AI will not change a junction if it is loading or unloading and comes to the junction before finishing the process. If you change the junction manually it will skip the present operation and move on. You need to leave enough room for the consist to clear the present operation. The loco will then change the junction itself.
Cheers,
Mike

AI can always change junctions, but if you don't set them in advance it may stop and think about it before it decides to do so, thereby slowing up the timetable. If you need the junctions set the wrong way (Ie for yourself or another AI), and don't use IT (Interlocking towers which have problems) you can set a trigger to switch the junction for and by the AI, with a time delay to revert it after passing.
Not always. If you have a train going from one end to the other continuously, after the 2nd or third turn around time, it mat not switch and sit there forever. Same if you save the session and return to it. It is a bug often discussed here.

Not always. If you have a train going from one end to the other continuously, after the 2nd or third turn around time, it mat not switch and sit there forever. Same if you save the session and return to it. It is a bug often discussed here.

N3V is aware of this issue. I reported this bug back in the latter days of TANE and early days of 2019. Very annoying when we've got a session running for hours only to have the AI become more and more lethargic. When seeking the problem, we find them stopped at lights and stuck at switches. Pressing pause might unfreeze them, but that doesn't always work. The QA Team told me they're working on a solution for that, but who knows when we'll see it implemented.

N3V is aware of this issue. I reported this bug back in the latter days of TANE and early days of 2019. Very annoying when we've got a session running for hours only to have the AI become more and more lethargic. When seeking the problem, we find them stopped at lights and stuck at switches. Pressing pause might unfreeze them, but that doesn't always work. The QA Team told me they're working on a solution for that, but who knows when we'll see it implemented.
Let me be naive; On the next Trainz iteration or SP XX, this, and other troubles, will be addressed and solved. Then the forums will not be so crowded will these issues. I hint there is another "very best and super new era" trainz coming, but if it carries the flaws of the past, what would be so new? I may be the most sarcastic guy here, but in my opinion with reason.

Let me be naive; On the next Trainz iteration or SP XX, this, and other troubles, will be addressed and solved. Then the forums will not be so crowded will these issues. I hint there is another "very best and super new era" trainz coming, but if it carries the flaws of the past, what would be so new? I may be the most sarcastic guy here, but in my opinion with reason.

No reason not to be sarcastic!

From what I was told, this issue like the others we have with the AI, requires some heavy-duty rewriting of the code. My feeling is this will happen soon(tm).

I'm not holding my breath and will be pleasantly surprised when it happens someday.

The AI is not perfect, but it cannot find its path if a route/session is not made correct.
the answer is yes, the AI changes junctions.
I use a very large route here over 5k baseboards(80% of my country)
can put a train on any place and drive to any other place, just by the Drive to command
and it will get there, am talking about 400km sometimes with thousands of switches and signals

things to look for/do:
-lay your rails/tracks in the proper direction (yes it sometimes matters)
-do all your junctions have a lever?
-is the route signalled? (go find a tut on youtube)
-are all rail splines properly connected ("no path to selected destination" gives a hint)
-have all your junctions/switches set in the most used direction (mainline)
-make use of direction markers, where needed (dont need many)
-name trackmarks, industries well (here i even name all junctions and signals(like they are in reality))

have fun, don't struggle with Trainz,
greetings GM

I have said this too, until a lot of the bugs get fixed this (trs19) will be my last trainz purchase, and the only reason I purchased 19 was because I got it for $25. I would love to just have trains run around a route but more often then not they will either get stuck or go to the destination and then back up all the way to the next destination. Most likely the reason I build and don't drive.

Hi

The answer to the original question is that it depends on which driver commands that you use.

If you use Drive to/via or Navigate to/via then the AI will plot its own route to the destination. However if you use Autodrive or Autopilot then the train will just drive and it is up to you to set the correct path for it using one of the path control rules and driver commands. Using paths gives you precise control over where your train goes and saves time that is lost while the AI plots its route with the Drive or Navigate commands.

As mentioned in the posts above you can help the AI by setting the route up for it. I always make sure that all the junctions on the mainline are set so that a train can run from one end to the other without having to throw a switch. Similarly in a yard I set all junctions to take a train from the entry point to the track furthest away from it. That way the AI only has to throw one switch to find a particular trackmark. Simple things such as this can help the AI work more efficiently. You can also use priority and/or direction markers to help the AI select the correct route.

Personally I always use the Enhanced Interlocking Towers by pguy. Combined with his Mission Code system it is possible to send a train virtually anywhere on a route with just one command. However it does take time to set it all up.

Regards

Brian

Back