Strange problem with latest version 110491

rmdk

Hello All,

I am seeing an issue with most station and platforms disappearing, leaving station track remaining. Have done EDB repair. Have no open for edits.

Tracks remain in situ, BUT, are showing a problem (see photo link below). I have deleted some sections of the station tracks to more easily show a part of the problem (usually the all the tracks disappear as a whole with the platform etc)- NOTE: there are no spline points on some of the track, but they can still be deleted.

I can't delete the station track unless I delete the track adjoining it first.

Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocr6vnau9sjxj64/Problem with stations.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

Russell.

Have you tried a different track? Some tracks perform better than others and don't disappear.

Before I upgraded from 105096 to 110491, when I saved a route/session after editing, it never took more than one or two seconds for the save process to complete. Then I could exit Surveyor. Or select to enter Quick Drive (without a second prompt to perform an additional save).

Now, in 110491, I save as usual, which takes a longer amount of time then a save took in 105096. But the save does finish, it just takes longer.

Then, after performing a save, if I select Quick Drive, it prompts for a second Save (or Cancel), which I never encountered this second prompt before the update (unless there were outstanding edits needing to be saved). This second save takes farrrrr loooonnnngggeeerrrr... If I am patient long enough (i.e. 30 minutes or more) Trainz eventually reports my SSD is out of space and I need to rectify the situation. Granted, my SSD is only 250gb, but there is 170gb Free Space available on this SSD. I have a 500gb legacy hard drive installed, but use the SSD for the otherwise faster access.

I am a retired software engineer and develop applications frequently and never experience any issues creating or saving applications. Also, nothing else I do in other applications causes any issues with disk space. Only TRS19 version 110491 reports this issue when saving.

I have ran Database Rebuild multiple times to no avail. My CPU has 16gb RAM, NVidia GTX graphics card, 250gb SSD, 500gb secondary drive. I love Trainz, just not fond of the new wait time when saving edits.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Can anyone at N3V/Trainz explain to me what has changed during the save process that would cause this type of issue?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a file access issue with the 2nd save. I will get QA to try to reproduce the issue.

I just cancel the second request or I leave the save and do it on that second request. Also found that saves and reloads are not the same. A working route is saved but on reload it does not load as the saved one was. I open the edit session and the route loads fine, I go into the edit session, and EIT, driver set up, schedule library, etc does not show anything until I do a delete missing assets function when all towers, driver set up, etc show all their content.

I just cancel the second request or I leave the save and do it on that second request. Also found that saves and reloads are not the same. A working route is saved but on reload it does not load as the saved one was. I open the edit session and the route loads fine, I go into the edit session, and EIT, driver set up, schedule library, etc does not show anything until I do a delete missing assets function when all towers, driver set up, etc show all their content.

Thank you for the information, StageCoach.

I'm not sure what EIT is, but I have tried editing the Session. And I have alternatively even tried merging the Session Layer with the Route Layer before Saving, via the main file option as well as canceling that Save and Saving only at the Quick Drive prompt. It seems to "hang" there (on the second save, or the new "first" Save if I bypass the "first" save. Confused? I am! :) ) until my patience is exhausted (as stated previously up to 30 minutes when Save has never taken longer than a second or two before updating to 110491.

Of course, I can also opt to enter directly into Drive Session from the Main Menu (after saving previous changes).

TRS 2019 is phenomenal. A well deserved salute and congratulations to everyone who has worked on bringing Trainz to the exceptional stage it is presently. Well done!

EIT = Extended Interlocking Tower. A form of advanced signalling control for complex junctions or flat crossings, that augments the limited 20 yo built in signalling AI/logic (if the scripts work and you can fathom how to set it up).

EIT = Extended Interlocking Tower. A form of advanced signalling control for complex junctions or flat crossings, that augments the limited 20 yo built in signalling AI/logic (if the scripts work and you can fathom how to set it up).

I'm not that sophisticated to use EIT. Thanks for the information though, Vern. I model a specific time period and type of logging enterprise. All that fancy railroading is beyond my need and interest. I just want to watch 1880s logging trains wind through mountain canyons and forests. :)

I know that is pre sustainability concerns, but I rationalize that my virtual world doesn't add that much to climate change or real-world erosion. ;)

FYI for anyone having a similar issue to my loooonnnnngggg saves:

I uninstalled TRS 2019, reinstalled, and ran defrag. There is a debate on the efficacy and/or necessity to run defrag on SSDs. Some report not to defrag an SSD. Some suggest checking that Windows 10 has Trim enabled (FSUTIL), which is enabled on my PC. Some suggest that new versions of Windows 10 are "smart" enough to defrag an SSD properly.

A brief explanation for checking/enabling Trim can be found at: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance.

Anyway, after running defrag, Trainz ran markedly faster, and the save time seems to be substantially improved (though it still needs to be saved twice, as opposed to once in earlier versions). At least I hope it is resolved for now.

Also, it should be said that as a software engineer I am constantly tweaking applications and recompiling, so my drives are constantly fragmented, even above and beyond what Trainz might do. So my issue might be due to my perfectionist proclivities.

Happy Trainz and stay safe.

Last edited:
Hello John,

these tracks were a part of a downloaded station, which included tracks, platforms, and buildings. Different stations have all mostly reacted the same, as seen in the link.

It is strange that all but the track sections disappeared. With the track sections reacting in the way they have.

I am having to go through the route and manually delete the track sections and replace the stations.

Russell.

Hello John,

these tracks were a part of a downloaded station, which included tracks, platforms, and buildings. Different stations have all mostly reacted the same, as seen in the link.

It is strange that all but the track sections disappeared. With the track sections reacting in the way they have.

I am having to go through the route and manually delete the track sections and replace the stations.

Russell.

I've seen that once with the old AJS stations. I ended up reconnecting a piece of track in the middle of where the open spot was. This was only one one route and only with Andi's stations so I couldn't say it was a bug or not. With this issue, I recommend bug reporting this and see what the QA Team says.

Back