Tunnels

pdeswardt

Hi All

I'm 100% new to Train sims, and picked up TS2019 from Steam the other day. Having a go at making my own route, and following all the tutorials i can find online, but i just cannot for the life of my get a decent tunnel laid down.

I am trying not to use a dighole, and rather the tunnels that make the hole automatically.

Does anyone have some links to some decent tunnels from the DLS or elsewhere please?

I have downloaded such a self boring tunnel from the DLS, but it seems that sunlight still gets inside the tunnel even though its covered properly ?

Many thanks

You will not get very far with that type of tunnel, as for starters they can only be laid at certain angles.

Tunnels are a nightmare and long due an overhaul by N3V, but the dighole system with separate portals are the best of a bad job. In point of fact neither of the other two big sims (MSTS/OR and TS20xx) do tunnels particularly well either - neatly piercing the terrain and not having to resort to elaborate camouflage of the dighole is a horrible Achilles Heel.

One technique some route builders have used especially where the tunnel is curved so you can't see the other end from the outside, is just to avoid the dighole and use a pitch black ground texture where the ground rises up inside the portal to disguise the terrain.

One technique some route builders have used especially where the tunnel is curved so you can't see the other end from the outside, is just to avoid the dighole and use a pitch black ground texture where the ground rises up inside the portal to disguise the terrain.

That's interesting, so does the train actually drive through the raised terrain ?

On the self piercing tunnels - I have seen youtube vids where they managed to get it to work fine, but i cannot find the tunnels these guys use, and they also do not provide links to them, so i was hoping someone here may have some they coud share..

Thanks for the reply though..

That's interesting, so does the train actually drive through the raised terrain ? ...

Yes

I've tried many things to make the pre-made tunnels and dig holes work nicely and always am disappointed. So I have been using the technique Vern suggests for a while, and they look the best overall. There of plenty of tunnel entrances available, just find one that fits your look and feel for your route and paint the inside of the entrance with a dark color like <kuid2:46819:21088:2> Dk_Coal.

Not sure I am being helpful, but have a look at some of the routes you have on hand, such as Kickstarter County II and get the asset number(s) of the tunnel(s). But then I can't say if they are built the same way with digholes or not....

Not sure I am being helpful, but have a look at some of the routes you have on hand, such as Kickstarter County II and get the asset number(s) of the tunnel(s). But then I can't say if they are built the same way with digholes or not....

Yes, i actually did just that, but for some reason when i hover over the tunnels, they do not report their names for some reason, even if i change the toolbar on the right to objects, splines, trackside objects etc etc as i understand that it will only show you the name if it is on the same tab as the type of object you are trying to see.

I'll have another go at it none the less

Thanks guys

I see what you mean. I could not make it recognise anything was there either. It may be in another layer?

The tunnel in Kickstarter County is a spline asset and not tracks. You place the tunnel spline and use dig-holes to open the ground, place hillside splines, etc.

For a good track-type tunnel, look for LP Tunnel.

There are a couple of versions, all based on an original by Josef Pav, that are available for download. With <kuid2:69871:2097:2> being built-in.

<kuid2:179185:100022:1> LP Tunnel 1t TRS 2012
<kuid2:69871:2097:2> LP Tunnel 1t TS12

For some reason, even with the wonky nature of tunnels, the LP Tunnel works quite well.

The tunnel in Kickstarter County is a spline asset and not tracks. You place the tunnel spline and use dig-holes to open the ground, place hillside splines, etc.

For a good track-type tunnel, look for LP Tunnel.

There are a couple of versions, all based on an original by Josef Pav, that are available for download. With <kuid2:69871:2097:2> being built-in.

<kuid2:179185:100022:1> LP Tunnel 1t TRS 2012
<kuid2:69871:2097:2> LP Tunnel 1t TS12

For some reason, even with the wonky nature of tunnels, the LP Tunnel works quite well.
Thanks so much !

One more thing: You lay the tunnel, and on some or most of them, the track is there or you lay new one. The effect of a train running inside of a tunnel can be enhanced if you use "bridge sound". I have made changes to config file to add this, and all my tunnels now produce the effect. I have to resort to bridge sound because I haven't found a real "tunnel sound' available. Maybe someone knows of it?

The tunnel in Kickstarter County is a spline asset and not tracks. You place the tunnel spline and use dig-holes to open the ground...

That is correct though there is an automatic version of it in the scenery/splines tab.

<kuid2:523:19721248:4> Tunnel Double Track - KSC

Hi All

I'm 100% new to Train sims, and picked up TS2019 from Steam the other day. Having a go at making my own route, and following all the tutorials i can find online, but i just cannot for the life of my get a decent tunnel laid down.

I am trying not to use a dighole, and rather the tunnels that make the hole automatically.

Does anyone have some links to some decent tunnels from the DLS or elsewhere please?

I have downloaded such a self boring tunnel from the DLS, but it seems that sunlight still gets inside the tunnel even though its covered properly ?

Many thanks

If you don't want to use a dighole, then try the 'tunnel darkstone' - here's an image,....
darkstone.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

If you don't want to use a dighole, then try the 'tunnel darkstone' - here's an image,....
darkstone.jpg

Cheers,
Roy
Sadly that screenshot epitomises everything that is wrong with the old style tunnel system. Double track spline that can't be straightened and the most awful looking portal/entrance you could imagine. Plus as I already mentioned can only be laid at specifc angles. Looked bad in UTC/2002 and only went downhill from there!

I am not sure what you are saying here but I will describe what I think you are saying: On each side of the hill put a tunnel entrance object, but leave the hill as a hill. Between the entrances paint the ground (outside of hill?) black so you can't see the train in the tunnel. Lay track between the entrances normally. Is that correct? If so, when you are in the cab of the loco you will not see a tunnel will you?

thanks.

I am not sure what you are saying here but I will describe what I think you are saying: On each side of the hill put a tunnel entrance object, but leave the hill as a hill. Between the entrances paint the ground (outside of hill?) black so you can't see the train in the tunnel. Lay track between the entrances normally. Is that correct? If so, when you are in the cab of the loco you will not see a tunnel will you?

thanks.

Some model railroad builders have done this and I think this is okay for that, but I wouldn't do that for a real route we'd sit in the cab and drive because that would be weird if not dumb.

thanks.
Correct and, with respect to John's subsequent post, sometimes it's the best solution even for tunnels in prototype hills.

Ok, thanks. I imported my route from model TANE to TRS19 and it has 3 tunnels, two worked fine and the other was just solid mountain (must have been missing the asset) but the two that were there were ok, but kind of ugly but the train still went through the mountain as you described.

Back