Thinking about getting a laptop for TRS19.

Don't worry too much about visuals.
When TS19 was launched, very few people could afford the rig to have every graphics option at max.
It still requires a considerable investment...

You'll get better fps if you turn shadows off, and avoid the scenery heavy routes (like ECML).
Also, remember to exclude Trainz program *and* the data folder from your virus checker. The game loads lots of files as you move through a route - a virus checker will examine each one (unless excluded) and that really hits the frame rate.

I personally use a ROG Strix GL704GV.308, has Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Graphics, and 16GB of that RAM stuff. Processor is i7-8750H @2.20GHz.
And very noisy when all the fans start going flat out. it takes a real lot to bring this to it's knees, but is a great machine.
:eek:

... and 16GB of that RAM stuff.

Ahhh. Don't you just love it when someone makes an "I don't really know what it does but it sure sounds important" quote like that:D Technology demystified.

I have a Rog Strix 17 Inch size, 2 years old, with 1050 NVidia, 4 Meg of Video Ram......Converted with 2 SSD's one is a M-2......Way better than Platter Drives.....Day is to night difference.......16 Meg maxed out for this model......

Some laptops come with 6-8 Meg on Video Card, but then, your Battery will be eaten up by power usage and heat buildup, so your mileage will vary.......Mine being 4 Megs and my first dedicated Video Card, NOT INTEGRATED EITHER is your best option....My old HP was INTEGRATED ON MOTHER BOARD, and a piece of !@#$%T$ in performance, because 5 years ago, I didn't know better....I sure do now.......Love my NVIDIA card.......

U also need to know, you cannot in most Laptops upgrade your Video Card, so it is very important you choose best size of NVidia Card for your needs, balanced with power requirements and Heat impacts......

Would suggest for WaddleDee18 add one accessory that has made a world of difference for cooling one's Laptop......
Cooling Pad

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffhp&q=cooling+pad+for+laptop&ia=web

Now just the fact it elevates your Laptop at 1-2 inches on one end, allows more cool air to get underneath where heat builds and gets trapped Etc.....I used to use a 14 and 15inch Laptops, and Real Estate for Screen Size makes a huge difference, at least for me, I am older person, so like others here, the eyes need all the help they can get....With that thought, larger the Laptop more weight to lug around.....So it is assumed a Balance between size and visual needs requires a compromise, what is best for you.........

In summer I turn the fans on, in Winter, very occasional, because the house temps are cooler by 30-40 degrees over Summer Heat in Southern California........

I almost burned my Laptop up with Trainz, and dirty internal fans, which I had to blow the Dust Bunnies out of it.......

It is Quite normal for Laptops, which need Air Duct Cleaning at least once a year with Air Cans............Don't use an Air Hose or you will damage something inside your Laptop...

Link to further explain how to:

https://www.howtogeek.com/194479/how-to-clean-the-dust-out-of-your-laptop/

On Amazon,

Havit Laptop Cooling Pad Computer Quiet Cooler with 5 Quiet Fans and 2 USB Ports, Portable Cooling Stand with LED Light for 14-17 Inch Laptop (Blue)

As with anything not purchased before, may I suggest reading user ratings and Comments,,,,They can be quite a Reveal on how said item worked or not, Problems Etc.......

Hope this helps......

Here's what I have for a laptop and I've been very happy with it. An Acer Aspire V17 nitro Black Edition. nVidia GTX 1060 video that only kicks in when in game mode. Normal usage display is HD Graphics 630. Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.81 GHz (turbo speed is 3.5 GHz (again, game mode)). The fan technology cannot be beat. It has metal fan blades to start with and during low usage, the fans will automatically reverse which cleans off the dust and junk. 16 GBs DDR4 memory. Of course, SSD drives.

I got this one on NewEgg for $1,400 USD. I play Call of Duty with my kids (uh, adults: 36 and 34) and have not had one single instance of overheating or degradation of performance. We RV when possible and I haven't had any issues when traveling with it. My daughter had an Asus that went up in smoke after playing COD one day and her new Dell isn't fairing much better. She can play COD for about an hour before the thing starts over-heating and slowing down.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :) I have ultimatley decided that a desktop would suit my needs better, since it could just replace the current desktop, which is pretty old. I will take all of the advice on video cards, drives, etc. into consideration while I look.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :) I have ultimatley decided that a desktop would suit my needs better, since it could just replace the current desktop, which is pretty old. I will take all of the advice on video cards, drives, etc. into consideration while I look.

Use these to compare.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/sr/desktops/g-series-desktops

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

If you don't have an IPS monitor then it might be an idea to buy one 1920 by 1080 isn't too bad. 4k needs a lot of computer to drive it.

Have fun.

Cheerio John

Back