Route/Layout not loading in TRS2019 (taking forever)

axe1970

Kuid: 1970 - J/D 5/8/2001
Hi all,

I am trying to import my large route from TANE Sp3 into Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 and it seems to be taking forever to load. I am talking over an hour infact probably more than 2 hours. I haven't loaded it successfully yet with numerous try's, and I close Trainz with windows task manager.

I have Trainz 2019 Platinum edition with SP2 installed. There is no faulty assets or missing discrepancies. No errors reported in content manager.

The route runs well in TANE. Doesn't take a long time to load.

Not sure if it would have loaded with TRS 2019 SP1 as I didn't install it. Is there a way to re-install SP1 for testing purposes? Any other suggestions?
The route has been continually updated from TRS2006.

Regards

Axe

First load will need to precache, if it's a large route and you are not using an SSD it may well take a long time.

Might also need to make sure you have enough disk space.

Could maybe speed things up by running a Database repair and then running the TrainzUtil prebuild command.

Hiya axe

step by step :)

After you installed SP2 (2 or 3 updates in a row)
did you do a database repair? (in Trs19 its actually called Rebuild database)
if not, from Launcher or from Contentmanager go to the Developer menu and select "Rebuild database"
this can take a while, let it fully run, there are numbers you can see on which item it works
all your installed content should be processed.
If it stops somewhere,(patience) restart it.

After this is done, try to open your route(not any session)
Do not interrupt it let it load complete.
add 1 little item, a house or a tree (doesn't matter)
also do delete missing items (just to be sure)
save the route. Now its saved in TRS19 SP2 format.
exit trainz

Try to open the route again (patience)
on any subsequent load it will get faster, as Trainz will cache items.

Next try to load a session
again do delete missing items
change something and save it
now the session is also saved in SP2

hope this helps
btw i also use a huge route 5000+ baseboards
and sessions with 40+ consist
loading in SP2 is for me a little faster than in SP1

greetings GM

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. I will try these steps again, thanks. I forgot to mention (it was late) ;) I have done numerous database rebuilds, deleted the Internet & Library Caches. Also deleted messing assets in Tane a number of times and imported those routes over as well. I always get the same result. I even let Trainz run after I posted the original post and went to bed. I just returned and the pre-load screen was still running.
I have 600gigs free on the trainz installed disk & 120gig free on my c/Drive too.

Just how are you transferring it? The best way would be to put it into a CDP, then extract that via the TRS19 CM.

Just how are you transferring it? The best way would be to put it into a CDP, then extract that via the TRS19 CM.

Yep. I am bundling it up in TANE content manager as a CDP. Then dragging that file into TRS2019 content manager. Then doing a database repair. (Both in content manager and from the main splash screen.)

Is there a way to install TRS2019 SP1 again? My only install is from N3V and it is already patched to SP2.

Regards

Unless you made a backup of the installation / game files before updating to SP2, there is no way to go back to a previous version of TRS19

Cheers

Unless you made a backup of the installation / game files before updating to SP2, there is no way to go back to a previous version of TRS19

Cheers

No I don't think I have a downloaded copy. I am using the installer launcher you download from Auran/N3V.
I have also tried giving the route a new kuid number, and resetting all the environmental & region settings to default. Hasn't made a difference.
The route opens up and runs fine in TANE Sp3.

Regards
axe

Hi Axe,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That is a lot of work to lose. How big is the CDP? Is it a practical size to e-mail? Or can you place it somewhere for download. Maybe some others of us could try it? (create a test clone install and load your route from CDP). Worse comes to worse you could always make the physical trip to my place, and we could try a few things. I have copies of SP1 and and SP2 installed, as well as the original SP 0 DVDs. I am still in Katoomba. If you are interested let me know and I will PM my mobile num.

Hi Axe,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That is a lot of work to lose. How big is the CDP? Is it a practical size to e-mail? Or can you place it somewhere for download.

Thanks for the offer Phil. I have messaged you a google link to the route.cdp and base session. Let me know how it goes. The file is about 80meg.

BTW: I love your route Weddin. I have downloaded and installed that and it works great.

Regards

axe

Last edited:
Axe,

Ensure you have plenty of disk space and also I highly recommend defragging your hard drive if it isn't an SSD (use trim instead). The defrag will definitely help a lot because of all the disk writes, moves, and database repair processes being done with the new installation.

I discovered this with my system, and it made a big difference when installing SP2.

Which drive is the install folder on and which one has the data folder? Remember the C drive needs space for normal operations to use. Have you tried to export as CDP to your desktop? and then use the import content file.

Thanks for the offer Phil. I have messaged you a google link to the route.cdp and base session. Let me know how it goes. The file is about 80meg.

BTW: I love your route Weddin. I have downloaded and installed that and it works great.

Regards

axe

I have downloaded and installed Axe's route into various Trainz builds. Results as follows.

Build 94829 TANE SP3 Loads OK
Build 105096 TRS2019 SP1 Loads OK
Build 105100 TRS2019 Platinum Loads OK
Build 110491 TRS2019 SP2 Hangs when loading - Windows Task Manager shows continual high CPU.

I also saved the route I was able to load into 105100 to my KUID, exported it to CDP, and tried loading that into 110491. It also hung when loading.
All installs were done to local data folders on a fast SSD with approx 50% capacity free.

Looks like you might have to take this one to the Helpdesk Axe.

Edit:
When I installed the route into builds 94829/105096/105100 Content Manager reported quite a few missing assets. I didn't worry about these at the time as it didn't seem relevant to my testing. (since you can't load the CDP, even though you have all the content I'm missing). I have just tried 'Delete Missing Assets' in build 105100 and resaved the CDP. The file is slightly smaller (78Mb vs 80Mb). I was able to install and load this CDP in build 110491 without hanging. I wonder if you have hit some sort of size threshold?
Maybe try saving a test version in TANE, and see if deleting a few boards to get the size down helps.

Last edited:
Hi guy's

Yes I have saved the CDP file multiple times, and loaded it in TRS2019 content manager in different ways. CM isn't reporting any errors.
My C: drive had 123 gig free. My d: drive is 520gig free, and my e:drive is reporting 600 gig free. I have TRS 2019 installed on my d: drive.

Thanks Phil for all that detective work. I appreciate your effort. I load Weddin with no trouble. I also recently installed UMR2021 and it loads ok, (apart from missing content).

I notice that when trying to load the route I do not get the pre-caching message when loading my route. So I don't know what the problem is unless it is SP2.

Thanks

Axe

Hi guy's

Yes I have saved the CDP file multiple times, and loaded it in TRS2019 content manager in different ways. CM isn't reporting any errors.
My C: drive had 123 gig free. My d: drive is 520gig free, and my e:drive is reporting 600 gig free. I have TRS 2019 installed on my d: drive.

Thanks Phil for all that detective work. I appreciate your effort. I load Weddin with no trouble. I also recently installed UMR2021 and it loads ok, (apart from missing content).

I notice that when trying to load the route I do not get the pre-caching message when loading my route. So I don't know what the problem is unless it is SP2.

Thanks

Axe

Its only happening in SP2. Try my suggestion of lopping a few baseboards of a test version. Just to see if it is a size issue.

If you contact the Helpdesk they may have some way of tracing what is happening as it loads, and where it is going in to a loop.

Its only happening in SP2. Try my suggestion of lopping a few baseboards of a test version. Just to see if it is a size issue.

If you contact the Helpdesk they may have some way of tracing what is happening as it loads, and where it is going in to a loop.

I am going to try that now.

I am currently updating 10,000 plus out of date items in Tane. I'll need to wait until that is finished. :) Thank god for the NBN. (finally) ;)

Regards

Hi Axe1970 - I have nothing to add except that I feel your pain. I tried installing my route and all it did was corrupt two of the included routes (Rockies and one other) but my route itself was just full of faults and errors. Luckily I had backed up my base TRS19 before installing it. Hope you get it figured out, if you do maybe I will try my route again.

Hi Axe1970 - I have nothing to add except that I feel your pain. I tried installing my route and all it did was corrupt two of the included routes (Rockies and one other) but my route itself was just full of faults and errors. Luckily I had backed up my base TRS19 before installing it. Hope you get it figured out, if you do maybe I will try my route again.

Thanks Chris. Funny thing is I have no errors reported in either Tane CM or TRS2019 CM. I just wished I had a copy of TRS2019 SP1 installed to test. I have been away from Trainz for a few years. See if I get bitten by the trainz bug again.

Regards

Hi Axe, thank you for the link. Downloaded and install into my large version of TS2019 PE SP2. Installed OK. Five missing .cdp's that I was able to download from DLS. (1 error shown). Nothing else showing as faulty or missing in CM. Tried to start route in Surveyor. Sill hasn't loaded after 35 minutes, so something is definitely wrong. It did the usual pre-caching. (I have a route that's 3 times the size and that takes about 15 minutes to load in my system).

I'll leave it for another 15 minutes & if it hasn't loaded by then, will exit, then try in TS2019 SP1.

If the same problem occurs in TS2019 SP1, all I can suggest is trying to export the Tane version again, or try going back to an earlier version of a backup.

Cheers, Mac...

Foot note; Still hadn't loaded after 45 minutes, so exiting out and will try in TS2019 SP1.

Another thing you could do is export from Tane the route & session separately, so that you end up with two separate .cdp's. One for the route & one for the session. Delete the route.cdp in CM, then import the new seperate route & session .cdp's. Worth a try. I don't know if this combined route & session in the one .cdp is what's causing the problem in SP2???

Installed into TS2019 SP1 105766 (same 5 missing .cdp's that I downloaded from DLS). Route took 10 minutes (approx) to load properly in surveyor. Route looks good. Didn't look at session, but I assume that's ok. Main thing is the route only took 10 minutes or so to load properly. It's got me stumped, as to what's causing the problem in SP2.

Last edited:
Thanks Mac,

Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions, but I do not think the session and route bundled into the cdp because when I try to run the route in TRS2019 Platinum edition I am just opening the route itself.

Doing more work in Tane I have noticed that when in wireframe mode I notice that some baseboards done show the grid, but in normal non wireframe mode everything is okay. Maybe the map file has got corrupted. I guess there is no way to fix that.

I have various backups, but it would be too much work for me to go back and find a working version. I have done so much the route in the 8 or nine years since I released Sandy Banks to Bongo Creek.

Regards

Axe

Back