"Unable to load mesh file" ERROR

nur14

I am getting error which is unexpected while importing FBX file. "VE:76 Unable to load mesh file". This is happening after Trainz 2019 SP2 update. While checking files on explorer i noticed Trainz is unable to create Trainzmesh file for the imported FBX file. Below is the config table.

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "filename.trainzmesh"
auto-create 1

}
}

Waiting for help.

Hi. I think you are missing some detail here.

Your line for the mesh should read:-

mesh "filename.trainzmesh.im" (or lm perhaps) {check how it is described in explorer}

Hope that helps

Doug

I am getting error which is unexpected while importing FBX file. "VE:76 Unable to load mesh file". This is happening after Trainz 2019 SP2 update. ...

Your mesh-table container looks to be correct although there are many other options. I can only guess there is something wrong with the FBX file itself. Try the example I provided here and see if you get the same error.

I have been testing FBX files (a cab interior) with SP2 and have had no problems.

p.s. adding an IM extension will not work as IM and trainzmesh are different formats although with much the same data.

I've noticed that SP2 has become more fussy about UV maps on import.

It seems that for the importer to work properly then all meshes must have exactly one UV map associated with them. If there is no UV map or multiple UV maps then the import will fail and you will get this error.

There are of course other reasons this error might happen but this is a change I have noticed since SP2.

I've noticed that SP2 has become more fussy about UV maps on import....

I'm believe that issue has been around for a while now but maybe N3V has made it an error of some sort? I need to look into it. It is mentioned in the export/import tutorial as error T16128 (from Assimp) but there may be variations.

Blender will allow multiple UV maps although the most I've seen is two. They can be useful at times.

I've heard various reports of similar issues for SP2 including in the Trainz channels. But I cannot say it is UV maps and/or something else.

Dear Paul

Thanks for the response.

I m working on 3dsmax, can you please help me out to sort out on this method. As mentioned same file was imported into Trainz without any issue before until we got an update this month.

I don't have Max but I would check the number of UV maps as suggested by EDH6 in post #4. You can probably only have one.

I'm believe that issue has been around for a while now but maybe N3V has made it an error of some sort? I need to look into it. It is mentioned in the export/import tutorial as error T16128 (from Assimp) but there may be variations.

Blender will allow multiple UV maps although the most I've seen is two. They can be useful at times.

I've heard various reports of similar issues for SP2 including in the Trainz channels. But I cannot say it is UV maps and/or something else.

My experience is that pre-SP2 meshes with multiple UV maps would import and produce an asset without errors but that wouldn't look right (missing textures etc.). After SP2 importing meshes with multiple UV maps produces an asset with errors. Therefore it seems (as you say) that it has always been the case that exactly one UV map was needed but pre-SP2 the error checking process wasn't very good at catching assets that had this fault.

I'm also Blender user, so I'm not sure how one would check the UV maps in Max either...

I also get unable to load mesh file when loading your example.

Your mesh-table container looks to be correct although there are many other options. I can only guess there is something wrong with the FBX file itself. Try the example I provided here and see if you get the same error.

I have been testing FBX files (a cab interior) with SP2 and have had no problems.

p.s. adding an IM extension will not work as IM and trainzmesh are different formats although with much the same data.

I also get unable to load mesh file when loading your example.

I downloaded the (completed) example just to make sure I was using the same files. All I did to retest was to export the FBX file as "mybox_lod0.fbx" and commit the asset to TS19 SP2. I just dragged the entire folder onto CM.

Can you provide a screenshot of any warnings and errors you see? The Phong shader warning you can ignore.

Note that based on comments in the Trainz Discord channel I'll probably rewrite the tutorial but I haven't made up my mind about the content yet.

Hi Paul,
When I import your content folder it seems to go OK - just the Phong warning.
When I try to preview the asset it crashes the whole program to the desktop. This seems to be a common problem with SP2 at present.
When I reload it in CM and check for warnings. It says "unable to load meshfile mybox_lod0.fbx"

Hi Paul,
When I import your content folder it seems to go OK - just the Phong warning.
When I try to preview the asset it crashes the whole program to the desktop. This seems to be a common problem with SP2 at present.
When I reload it in CM and check for warnings. It says "unable to load meshfile mybox_lod0.fbx"

I'll send you a PM with a dropbox link to a zip file that contains the test folder I used earlier. Try dragging and dropping that folder onto CM and see if you get a better result.

For 3D Max users only. Download the Trainz Utility script from the link below:

Copy the script file into your max script folder. Run from within Max as needed. Click on the clean button in the pop-up window, this will reset your mesh back to a single UV channel which is generally what is causing your problem. Multiple UV channels can sneak in without notice and were previously only a warning. TRS19 flags it as an error.

https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/trainz-content-utilities-3ds-max-script/

I have had CM give the wrong error, CM gave could not read low LOD mech and could not read LM.txt but the error was in the hi LOD.

Back