Half-Speed With AI Train?

boleyd

I have a route where the majority of track is either 50mph or 60mph procedural. However, trains run at 1/2 speed despite multiple speed signs indicating a higher speed. I have tried other track but same issue. Light load, 2 passenger cars. A variety of diesel engines react the same - 1/2 speed. Session control. 30fps no stutters. ???

Last edited:
Have you checked your signaling? I've noticed if there is a yellow ahead within 3 signals the train will slow.

Also check the track condition, what percentage is it set at?

I do not have any signals on the route. For some unknown reason, on my system signals of almost any type stop a train for no reason. The stoppage lasts for 30 seconds (look left/right for oncoming traffic) and about 1 minute. As traffic signals these are correct! Only one train on the route. Anyhow, the slow-below-limit is yet another weird thing.
And, yes Yellow has a range of detection looking for Red signals. Which is correct but there may be some question as to the pro to-typical extent of that detection.

The track condition is at zero.

Thanks.....

The track condition is at zero.

Thanks.....

Track Condition 0.png

Track Condition 50.png

Track Condition 100.png

Maybe the AI does not like the track

No signals usually means that the first "end of track" buffer or a switch set against the path of the consist becomes the next signal, which will be red.

A branch line that I am currently recreating had no signals with traffic controlled by train orders only. Because the AI must have signals to operate I am using invisible signals. Because those signals in front of track switches which will be set against the train will be red I have had to place two additional evenly spaced invisible signals in front of the signal that would normally be red. These will give caution and proceed aspects so the train will run at line speed until it passes the outer green signal and approaches the yellow and then red signals. It works.

I have not tried that yet but this is the most solid suggestion I have seen. I could be my own worst enemy for the signal issue. MORE is better! Will give that a try.

Ok signaled part of my route and your suggestion worked. I have used USA02 and searchlight signals. Full posted speed until the train sees no more signals ahead then the engineer/driver starts to sweat and slows to half speed.

If I use a searchlight 06 ahead of a diverge the train stops at a red for about 20 seconds and then proceeds. No other traffic on the route. It is similar to a stop sign - stop, look both ways and proceed. Is this a normal action?

I have avoided signals for a very long time because of up to a minute red stoppages for no apparent reason. I need advice on the best signal set(s) to use. I used searchlight since they fit the 1950 genre of the route. Mostly double procedural track. Set in the State of Maine, USA. The Wiki does mention USA2 and searchlight signals which is why I tried both with similar results.

Use type 05 (US05) in between periodically along the way between to allow trains to follow. These are permissive signals and help move things along.

A type 06 is a diverge signal. Where your track goes to to the single track, you need to use a type 04, or absolute signals to face back at the type 06. These act as stop signs. Using the type 05s in between the type 04s, moves the AI drivers along. If you set the junctions ahead of time for your train, then the AI will move along nicely.

This is what I'm trying to explain:

Type 04s

https://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=215193

https://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=215194

https://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=215195

OK, Lets see if I now understand this. A 06 signal will stop trains for no apparent reason. However, if that 06 is directly preceded by one PERMISSIVE 04 the train will ignore the 06 and proceed through the red. The philosophy is, this particular area of the route allows blowing through reds due to good line of sight.

Is this correct?

Note: if you do not want permissive 04's before every 06 then an invisible 04 permissive will allow that.

Almost 20 years of history have accumulated for this product. Multiple management organizations have moved the product along a variety of paths. Right now there is little clarity and solid data for some aspects of the product line. Signals are just one of those.

This Message, and subsequent commentary, offers some basic signaling info.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...crew-see-a-RR-signal&highlight=signal+spacing

Last edited:
Not quite...

The Type 06 will stop a a train until the AI figures out which line is clear unless there is a following permissive somewhere along the line leading up to a terminating Type 04, which is an absolute to protect the line as it enters into another single track, or enters a junction for a mainline.

Type 06-----two Type 04s "looking at" the Type 06 ---- A Type 05, followed by a more if the line is long, ------ finally meets up to the Type 04 again as the line enters the single track.

It also helps too if you use direction markers and force the AI to take a particular track. This prevents them from doing the swishy back and forth through crossovers that cause awful traffic problems when there's a lot of AI-driven consists.

Last edited:
I have a route where the majority of track is either 50mph or 60mph procedural. However, trains run at 1/2 speed despite multiple speed signs indicating a higher speed. I have tried other track but same issue. Light load, 2 passenger cars. A variety of diesel engines react the same - 1/2 speed. Session control. 30fps no stutters. ???

Rules of the road, from what I've been able to determine, is that yellow mandates that the engineer set the train speed to 1/2 the posted speed or 25 MPH which ever is greater. Within 1 mile of the signal (or turnout in your case), the speed is a maximum of 25 MPH.

I use lots of signals and on long stretches of directional track, I have multiple block signals. Haven't had any problems with this arrangement. My AI drivers work fine and will use the maximum speed permitted.

Back