Experienced Hostler

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
I was starting to edit one of my routes today when this popped up.
experienced hostler.JPG
Why?
Why are they asking for a man look after the horses of people staying at an inn. Is this a horse sim? OK, so it is also used in railways to designate someone who moves locomotives in and out of service facilities. So why the pop up? Are there others like waiting to pop up too? How do I get rid of this behavior?

I don't think you can disable the career, but congratulations on doing an n-number of shunting moves.

Just started to see this type message in build 114400. There must be a way to turn the message off. It gets annoying after awhile.

As a mad little shunting enthusiast I eventually shunted and bunted wagons around so much the message box just went away. Hostler is a weird word for it though, - proper railways called them shunters.

As a mad little shunting enthusiast I eventually shunted and bunted wagons around so much the message box just went away. Hostler is a weird word for it though, - proper railways called them shunters.
Hostler is the person who cares for the locos in the round house. They get them ready and turn them over to the road driver. As far as I can see it has nothing explicitly to do with shunting/switching.

If there is a way to turn these distractions off I'd like to know.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:

Or proper railroads called them switchers :hehe:

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who worked for the D&RG railroad as a Machinist/Mechanic, and he actually used the word Hostler (with no prompt from me) when talking about assembling a consist. So the term does or did exist in some form. I will have to question him more on this.,

Per my post above, I asked my friend about his use of the term "Hostler" (he pronounced it more like "hustler", but he spelled it out with an "O", not a "U"). It was the term they used for the ones who moved the equipment in the yards, whether in and out of the shops for maintenance or for whatever other reason (similar to Rico's definition above), but there were others that assembled consists and trains. He said in his day eventually, the ones assembling the consists ended up taking the trains down the line, and they as mechanics ended up doing the hostler's job. Just as an aside, he mentioned that "consist" referred only to the combination of power units, and once hooked to cars it was a "train". That is a distinction I was unaware of as well.

The issue isn’t the derivation of the word. The issue is how do you get rid of the message popping up in driver.

The issue isn’t the derivation of the word. The issue is how do you get rid of the message popping up in driver.

Play 'Diesel Railcar Simulator' instead. :hehe:
Seriously though like all the ever so helpful popup messages in Trainz TRS19 we're just plain stuck with them and have to go with the flow.

You can see how many time you'll get that msg if you view "Switching Experience" in "Achievements" (in game System menu, 3 line icon on top left while in game) - There's four levels so I assume the max you can get the msg is four times. After a while you stop seeing them except for sessions that create their own session achievements.

I personally would ask all session creators to please NOT use scoring and achievements, but that's just me.

Last edited:
You can see how many time you'll get that msg if you view "Switching Experience" in "Achievements" (in game System menu, 3 line icon on top left while in game) - There's four levels so I assume the max you can get the msg is four times. After a while you stop seeing them except for sessions that create their own session achievements.

I personally would ask all session creators to please NOT use scoring and achievements, but that's just me.

I think it's a built-in function because I've gotten the experience achievements without adding anything to my own sessions. The reason why you're not seeing the message any longer is because you've moved beyond that trigger point for that achievement-level. There are higher and higher levels that require more driving "skills" to achieve any recognition such as performing hundreds of actions before you get the next reward.

Honestly, I could care less about these things as well and wish there was a way to turn it off. This kind of thing is better as an option for those that like receiving the attaboy award for driving an X-number of miles, or performing a gazillion switching moves.

Honestly, I could care less about these things as well and wish there was a way to turn it off. This kind of thing is better as an option for those that like receiving the attaboy award for driving an X-number of miles, or performing a gazillion switching moves.
Agree, one of those stupid ideas that other sims seem to enjoy foisting on their players. If I had wanted a career in trains, I would have joined a real railroad. Wish someone could figure out how to disable the whole career / achievements thing.

I think it's a built-in function because I've gotten the experience achievements without adding anything to my own sessions. The reason why you're not seeing the message any longer is because you've moved beyond that trigger point for that achievement-level. There are higher and higher levels that require more driving "skills" to achieve any recognition such as performing hundreds of actions before you get the next reward.

Yes, the "Achievements" panel shows "game" rewards such as "switching" but my acheivements also show specific Route/session achievements. For example, I have a "Lone Pine Branch" and "Lafond Regional Railway" achievements which show sessions waiting to be competed.

Yes... option to kill achievements and scoring would be most welcome. Though in the scheme of things there's about a zillion things of higher priority on my list. I can ignore an achievement popup pretty well! :)

Yes, the "Achievements" panel shows "game" rewards such as "switching" but my acheivements also show specific Route/session achievements. For example, I have a "Lone Pine Branch" and "Lafond Regional Railway" achievements which show sessions waiting to be competed.

Yes... option to kill achievements and scoring would be most welcome. Though in the scheme of things there's about a zillion things of higher priority on my list. I can ignore an achievement popup pretty well! :)

Yup I ignore them as well. I agree there are bigger fish to fry than this one.

Those route-specific achievements are in fact those that are added by the author. There's a trigger-rule for that. The session-writer creates a bunch of if-then statements with triggers, track mark events and then the successfully completed message appears. Cha-ching, you get the stars and a notch on the bar. :)

Back