Industrial operations - what's available these days?

Danny252

Some time back, I had a bit of fun using CMTM for a couple of routes in T:ANE. However, I remember that the CMTM scripts were old and outdated then, and I had to do quite a bit of hacking to get them to run (IIRC they would frequently time out or otherwise fail), and had a lot of trouble with broken/incompatible/missing assets - from a quick forum search, it sounds like things are only getting worse with time.

It seems Trainz has default functionality for delivering cars, but it's instant load/unload, and cars can't be left. I've seen mentions of CMTM-ish sounding things like ProtoLARS and JR Multi Industry, where cars can be left for delivery. Are these any good as CMTM successors (assuming they're newer!), and do they fare better with the modern Trainz versions?

If so, are there any particularly good routes to try them on? CMTM offered a couple of routes with it already set up, which would obviously be preferable!

If they aren't anywhere near what I'd like, what would be a good CMTM-like experience - if one exists at all?

Danny --

TRS19 routes? With CMTM sessions? None that I know of.

I have done a couple of industrial style layouts for TRS19 with sessions for them. The sessions either use the MIN for loading and unloading or rely on the Player using the Edit Trains function to manually load/unload. Search the Download Station for "philskene".

Phil

There are also good payware routes that service industries. American Mountains is one. Freeware and payware routes On Jointed Rail have industries.

Thanks both. I had indeed seen a number of your layouts, Phil.

Looking at the scripting language, it doesn't look too impossible to whip up something CMTM-like. Hopefully this could involve a bit less overhead than CMTM, too; I recall that setting up all the car routes, building the interchange trains to exactly match those, and so forth was quite a hassle, alongside manually configuring the industries.

I'm working on a tutorial about how to set Trainz routes up for use with the JMRI Java Model Railroad interface. Takes a bit of work, but JMRI's OperationsPro can create realistic, effective switch lists for Trainz routes.

I should (hopefully) have it finished and posted on the forums in a week or so.

*rises paw* Nothing on DLS?
Lockheed

I've just tried your Eagle County Session, available since a week or two on the DLS : I've never tried CMTM, and it seems to work perfectly :) !
You are prolific :hehe: in the dialogs and information session's windows : keep it on, chap ;) !
Cheers,
Philippe

I've just tried your Eagle County Session, available since a week or two on the DLS : I've never tried CMTM, and it seems to work perfectly :) !
You are prolific :hehe: in the dialogs and information session's windows : keep it on, chap ;) !
Cheers,
Philippe

Merci!

the session was meant do give an easy introduction. I'm not too sure about level 2 yet but level 3 is tricky as it involves an older asset version. But with each level there is less guidance and more traffic but you should be able to get along alone.
Feel free to have a look at the Kelly and Fairmont Shortline sessions as well. And there is some more in planning - need to hire a coder though ...
Lockheed

Thank you !
Took me 3 or 4 times in order to complete the first level without any faults :eek: ;) ...
Not only was CMTM new for me, but also the fact that the driver can change himself the signals :eek: !
I'm waiting for your other levels with impatience :) !
One question : in the level 1, CMTM give the choise for 7 operationnal days : they are apparently exactly the same : have I missed something, or, is it that you had not time to program the 6 other days (I suspect that programming and testing the sessions to be errorsproof might be time consuming, and giving some headaches) ?
Good work, and take your time, Chap ;) !
Cheers,
Philippe

Congrats! Hehe! Try to get high score ;)

yes - it's possible to have a different setup for each day. So for example you can have - assumed you play in real time - a long running session and automatically you would get new orders for your cars when midnight comes. This could make scenarios where you simulate industrial service Tue - Sat, Weekend passenger service, and returning cars on a Monday. Just as a rough example. If you set up time acceleration x4 then of course oyu not need to wait real time.
But I not implemented that in this level 1 session. So no matter what day you click - all are equally set up. I could have been mean and set up no data for all other days but the first :p Anyway - the session was meant to teach basic things how to operate this part of a railroad. And there are still advanced things not mentioned or that can be detailed a bit more.
However, don't expect new sessions in near future. I work on it but it takes time. Anyways - your feedback makes me go on. Thank you! So.... Just as a teaser - today I finished a test that Level 3 almost got to work. And with that it opens much more options - I just need one approval to make use of it. And for the rest - I have plans ... level 2 is still developing in my mind ... :p

Lockheed​

in a sudden beer mood last night I decided to have a separate thread in Freeware announcement section for my cmtm stuff.

But as a little teaser, Level 2 is almost done (some non-cmtm-related things to re-do because they failed in testing), Level 3 is developing nicely so far (cmtm part almost done)
Lockheed

Hi chap !
These are good news :) !
And ... I'm always laughing when I read the descriptions of your sessions : there is a real life atmosphere in them !!
Sorry, I have no time to test them for the moment, but I will run them eventually :wave: !
Cheers,
Philippe

Back