Still not fixed a decade later...

Xenithar

I took the two-week trial for TRS2019 and have been left with a strong beta vibe, and I do a LOT of beta testing and EA games. Steam locomotives are never going to work, I can see that now. Some cannot build enough steam to keep moving while most build so much steam you would think they had nuclear reactors powering them.

I cannot install or update anything with this new store crap because anything new I try to install or existing that I try to update has an unexpected version error. The content manager worked fairly well, but I can no longer update using it so after playing for two days I was unable to download anything or update stuff. This feels more like an alpha piece of software than a polished storefront.

Where do we go from here? I don't know. Train Sim World is flakey at best and it is a stripped game that has everything as DLC, totaling over $10,000 so I will NOT be going that route. I really like Trainz. It has so much to offer but the long-standing bugs need fixing. I don't care if you give me a thousand new routes, if I cannot download them, update them, or operate stock assets due to bugs a decade old, I am not enticed into buying the product. I will leave you with a video. This is TRS2019, stock route and loco, no mods. Funny how this issue is a decade old...

Steam pressure bug

Mind you, I play with a Creative Ae5 and a Razer Tiamat 7.1 v2 headet. The sound can literally damage my hearing. If I wanted to go deaf listening to emergency valves I'd go steal a real locomotive and let it explode.

Train Sim World is flakey at best and it is a stripped game that has everything as DLC, totaling over $10,000 so I will NOT be going that route
I think you are mistaking for DTG TS2021 aka Railworks. TSW(2) has much less than $10k worth of DLC for it and is actually very good (IMHO). It lacks a route editor and DTG have now come clean and admitted they cannot licence out the UE4 based SDK. However it has a very basic scenario editor which is still better than what Trainz offers if you want to run a timetabled player train and will only get better.

If it wasn't for the fact I still enjoy route building in Surveyor, Trainz would have been expunged from my computer(s) long ago.

Xenithar --

Well, lets see if we can help with the steam locomotive bit. See my post #14 in this thread:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...l-railroad-quot-The-Port-Loleta-Railroad-quot

Under "Safety valve noise" it offers two possible solutions.

As for the too little / too much steam -- well, that's an espec issue. There may be one or two people in the Universe who actually understand steam locomotive especs and what all the parameters actually mean. I've been reliably informed that the few who possess this knowledge belong to a secret society which meets only when the moon is full and Venus is in ascension, chant ancient songs, perform mystic rituals, and consume the blood of endangered animals. This gives them the ability to construct steam locomotive especs that work. But they never share them. Or the knowledge.

So the best that mere mortals like you and I can do is to try to make our own espec. I have a couple on the Download Station that used to work reasonably well in T:ANE and the previous version of Trainz. They were made by trail and error. The objective was to make an espec where the boiler pressure would fall when the locomotive was thrashed up hill but slowly increase when driven properly on the level or down hill. But N3V must have made some internal changes 'cause they don't work quite as well in TRS19. Perhaps consider aliasing your steamers to one of them. Or download one of the stream locomotives I have on the Download Station. Here is one in action:

In the video, the safety valve -- "silence is golden".

Phil

I appreciate the responses, but I cannot download anything. If I were to try to download a brand new route any of you made ten seconds ago, I would get an unexpected version error. I have literally tried downloading new routes and every time I do I get the unexpected version error. Due to this I cannot download any locomotives, especs, routes, or anything else for that matter. I am essentially locked into what I was able to download to try TRS2019 before the bug showed up. I believe my trial ends in a day or two, so I literally had two weeks of frustration.

From the perspective of a player who has alpha and beta-tested many games over the years, including World of Warcraft back in 2003 or so and Elder Scrolls Online, and somebody who plays early access games like Ark, Subnautica, The Forest, and many others, this feels like a beta. Everything I try is broken in some way. Updating is broken. Downloading new content is broken. Steam locomotives are broken. The only things which appear to work are the same as a decade ago. Diesels and electrics. Heck I can't even figure out how to make a simple session because of some bug that says it cannot find a train despite having many trains in said session, each with a driver. Just bad beta software right now, and that is the impression that I am left with after a two-week trial. I will not be purchasing this product until it all works out of the box. Would you go buy a car or pickup if it only ran half the time with the promise of the maker to fix it within the next few years? I doubt it.

As to the person who said Dovetail Train Simulator was not expensive, as of a year ago all content was about $9,000. This excludes content created since the math was last done. X-Plane 11 with all of its extra content is $18,000. That one I saw myself on my Steam account. It is why I have not moved on from X-Plane 10. They are using retarded models to make cash. I do not do micro-transactions and the like. I will not pay $35 for an AC4400. I will pay $35 for an entire route with new locos and rolling stock complete with sessions, but not for a single loco.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeau.../total_price_of_train_simulator_dlc_the_most/

Well clearly you have something wrong with your installation because the rest of us don't have your problems. Are your problems only with TRA19, or does it affect Tane as well? Are you sure there isn't a Build # issue, so many possibilities in a complex game, but a lack of specific info makes it hard to help. I've had TRS19 for 9 months and have never had trouble downloading content via the CM.

You can see from the video above TRS19 does work. And works well. It aint broken. It's no alpha. Not a beta. It's fully functioning.

... If I were to try to download a brand new route any of you made ten seconds ago, I would get an unexpected version error. I have literally tried downloading new routes and every time I do I get the unexpected version error. Due to this I cannot download any locomotives, especs, routes, or anything else for that matter....to try TRS2019 before the bug showed up. I ...
I don't see any version of TRS19 in your in your trackline beside your name. IIRC you can only download objects for your latest version and earlier or has that changed?

You can see from the video above TRS19 does work. And works well. It aint broken. It's no alpha. Not a beta. It's fully functioning.

It might be fully functioming for a model layout.

But as far as prototypical features go, it is very broken.

They should have stuck with the original concept from 2001, of a model railway on your pc.

N3V might have been able to cope with that.

Well if you want prototypical, step away from your computer and get on a real train. Everything else is just a simulation. Now the chances of getting a real train into my basement is just about nil unless one crashes through the wall, in which case it will be all too real, so I'm content with a real piece of rail that serves as a paperweight and Trainz which lets me build any route, real or imaginary, with as much detail as my computer can handle.

I had to replace my iMac which had totally died. Replaced it with a Windows 10 Lenovo 3i, 8gb ram, one TB hard drive, intel video and intel quad core CPU. This is not a gaming machine but really performs nicely. Downloaded a fresh copy of TRS 2019 and discovered that it runs smoothly, BUT you have to use common sense. I downloaded a route called “Short Line” and found it was loaded with scenery items. Running my train on that layout was not a good experience with very choppy video. I started constructing my own route and right now just have the two track mainline running on a lengthy multiple baseboard route. The video is excellent with no chatter. I will be very careful not to load too many scenery items and “Keep it simple stupid!” We will see how things go, but right now I am very happy.

I will be very careful not to load too many scenery items and “Keep it simple stupid!”

A common mistake newbie route builders make is to believe that every building, every tree, every blade of grass has to be different. So they load their routes with a huge number of scenery assets, most of which appear only once in the entire route.

I set up picklists each with a limited set of scenery assets of each type. For example - I have 9 different grass assets, 5 different bush assets, about 12 different high poly houses (for placement close to the track).

A simple tip I use with buildings is to present different sides of the same building to the track - buildings have (usually) 4 sides and in many cases each side can have a different appearance so one building can look like four different buildings when placed correctly but only has to be loaded into the route memory cache (or whatever it is) just the once.

I also use darker grass textures in place of actual grass for more distance scenes - for example a creek winding its way down a distant slope.

There are many tricks that can be used to reduce the memory overhead and increase the frames per second rate in a scene.

"For example - I have 9 different grass assets, 5 different bush assets, about 12 different high poly houses (for placement close to the track)."

Luxury!

In my latest TRS19 layout (Port Loleta) I have 5 different types of grasses, 1 bush + 2 trees, 2 houses, and just 9 textures. Only 125 assets are required from the Download Station.

The secret for good frame rates that I learnt from Microsoft Train Simulator is to use a few assets many times rather than many assets a few times.

Phil

Typed, I hope, with a Yorkshire accent.

In my latest TRS19 layout (Port Loleta) I have 5 different types of grasses, 1 bush + 2 trees, 2 houses, and just 9 textures. Only 125 assets are required from the Download Station.

The secret for good frame rates that I learnt from Microsoft Train Simulator is to use a few assets many times rather than many assets a few times.

Exactly my design philosophy.

Most scenery items in a layout that are close to the track will be flying past the trains before your eyes can register their details. Those further out will pass more slowly and any lack of details that they may contain can often be hidden by foliage. There are lots of tricks that creators can use to get get the best performance from fewer and lower quality assets.

Well if you want prototypical, step away from your computer and get on a real train. Everything else is just a simulation. Now the chances of getting a real train into my basement is just about nil unless one crashes through the wall, in which case it will be all too real, so I'm content with a real piece of rail that serves as a paperweight and Trainz which lets me build any route, real or imaginary, with as much detail as my computer can handle.

no idea what you are rambling on about. But as you have only been here since august 2002 and i joined the original "Auran Red Forum" in June 2001.

Plus i am a retired railwayman, with more prototypical than you have had hot dinners.

I will add you to my ignore list, where you belong.

no idea what you are rambling on about. But as you have only been here since august 2002 and i joined the original "Auran Red Forum" in June 2001.

Plus i am a retired railwayman, with more prototypical than you have had hot dinners.

I will add you to my ignore list, where you belong.

O wow, let me return the compliment.

Hi everyone!

This is a devils advocate post. I like different scenery grass buildings etc. I'm a newbie although had the original Trainz until my laptop couldn't run the later versions. I now have a 1TB drive and 32 gigs of ram. I created a route with loads & loads of scenery and it runs great. The ram makes the difference...if Windows runs out of ram it uses the hard drive which will slow things down. So if you are like me & you like the cheesy stuff with loads of things in the route, upgrade the ram to at least 16 gigs if not 32. Having lots of different items in the route makes things look more real & keeps it interesting to me and it runs like a champ! All my vid settings are on "ultra" as well. So if you really want to have a route like that it's possible.

Back