USLW C40-8s

Nope_15

I need some help with the USLW's C40-8s (I got them from the web archive.) when in content manager the assets give me the following errors:

Error: Tag 'icon0' in the container 'traincar' is obsolete.
Error: Texture 'mesh_body/nose.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'mesh_body\mesh_body.im'.
Error: Texture 'mesh_body/specgrey.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'mesh_body\mesh_body.im'.

oh by the way, I'm using trainz 12 build 49922

Could you provide a link to the asset?

I checked USLW on the archive, but I can't find that asset to take a look at it.

The repairs are easy to do.

icon0 needs to be deleted from the config.txt file.

Ensure the other files exist. If they are .texture files, and not a .tga with a texture.txt of the same name, you need to run PEV's Images2TGA to fixt that.

I just wanted to check my steps before I told you, but I think you can handle this.

all the files are there exept one. the assets gave me this error:

Error: Texture 'mesh_body/specgrey.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'mesh_body\mesh_body.im'.

Last edited:
I'll take a look and see. Usually these are pretty easy to fix. You might need to make a small 64 x 64 specgrey.tga. I'll let you know soon enough.

That list on the archive.org is a treasure trove for many missing assets.

I downloaded and checked the assets. I have two of them that are faulty and not even the faults you have. The asset is fine, but the bogey is bad!

- <kuid:219472:1880> : VE30: The tag 'image' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'thumbnail.jpg'.

Simple fix. Create a thumbnail.jpg 240 x 180. <---- a $screenshot$.jpg existed so I renamed that to thumbnail.jpg.

Open the asset in Explorer.

Copy the file in.

Close the folder and submit.

I have missing dependencies

- <kuid:113556:101011> : Dependency <kuid:113556:101011> is unknown.
- <kuid2:113556:51199:1> : Dependency <kuid2:113556:51199:1> is unknown.
- <kuid2:113556:511100:1> : Dependency <kuid2:113556:511100:1> is unknown.

One is found on the Web Archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170402100713/http://www.checkrail.com:80/cgi-bin/counters/unicounter.pl?name=cforty&deliver=http://www.checkrail.com/downloads/sureshot/NS-C40-8-3pack.cdp

The bonus is 3-working NS C40s. You need to update the bogeys the same way. Easy fix.

<kuid2:113556:51199:1>
<kuid2:113556:511100:1>

Can't be found. I removed them from the kuid-table in the config.txt file, and that's no longer a problem.

Now I get the specgrey.texture issue:

Looking in the folder, I found an spgray.tga.

I copied that to specgrey.tga.

Since there is no specgrey.texture.txt file, I created one by copying another and editing the file name and the contents to match. I used wiperbar.texture.txt

Edited the contents of that file and replaced wiperbar.tga with specgrey.tga.

Saved the .texture file.

Copied the specgrey.tga file and specgrey.texture.txt files to my desktop for use in the other faulty locomotives (All 3 of them have the same error).

Closed the folder and submitted.

The first locomotive is no longer faulty.

Repeated the same fix on the other two by copying in the above-mentioned files and fixed the config.txt files.

Last edited:
ok thank you, however when I did that i got the following errors:

Error: Tag 'icon0' in the container 'traincar' is obsolete.
Error: Texture 'mesh_body/nose.texture' is missing or could not be loaded for mesh 'mesh_body\mesh_body.im'.
Error: The texture 'mesh_body/specgrey.tga' failed to load.

The mesh file mesh_body.im uses some texture slots (TEX_SHINE), which are not supported by Trainz. You have to use the program PM2IM to remove these unsupported entries.
- Start PM2IM
- Select 'Options -> Open IM Files'
- Open the file mesh_body.im to start the conversion
This should remove the nose.texture error.

To fix the icon0 error, delete the line starting with icon0 from the config.txt.

Peter

Now I didn't get the nose.texture error or the icon0 error. I did say before, however, to remove that line apparently you missed that.

Specgrey.tga needs to be created and you need to copy a texture.txt file and modify it by replacing the innards with specgrey.tga where it says the other file, and renaming the copy as specgrey.texture.txt. I gave you the procedure above in my post.

thank you, however when I committed the assets I got the following error: Error: Unable to load source texture 'hash-5a\copytempsrc92q6brs381\mesh_body\specgrey.convert-tex' in subst 'local'

Last edited:
thank you, however when I committed the assets I got the following error: Error: Unable to load source texture 'hash-5a\copytempsrc92q6brs381\mesh_body\specgrey.convert-tex' in subst 'local'

How did you get that "sepcgrey.convert-tex?

That won't work at all and will cause the error.

Do this here:

1) Copy spcgrey.tga to specgrey.tga

2) Open up Notepad and create a specgrey.texture.txt file.

The insides have this here:

Primary=specgrey.tga
Tile=st

3) Save this specgrey.texture.txt file. In the body folder just like where the original is located.

4) Close all folders.

5) Submit.

If there are errors, check your work.

How did you get that "sepcgrey.convert-tex?

That won't work at all and will cause the error.

Do this here:

1) Copy spcgrey.tga to specgrey.tga

2) Open up Notepad and create a specgrey.texture.txt file.

The insides have this here:

Primary=specgrey.tga
Tile=st

3) Save this specgrey.texture.txt file. In the body folder just like where the original is located.

4) Close all folders.

5) Submit.

If there are errors, check your work.

ok thank you

when I Renamed the specgrey.texture to specgrey.texture.txt and then Committed the asset, I got the following error:

.texture is graphics file (picture) while texture.txt is text file. It can't work to rename one to another or vice versa. .texture file has to be converted to the tga and reference to it has to be put into the related texture.txt file.

when I Renamed the specgrey.texture to specgrey.texture.txt and then Committed the asset, I got the following error:

Okay that doesn't work.

You need to run PEV's Images2TGA you can get that from here:

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools

Open up the asset for edit in Explorer

Run Images2TGA.

Open up the .texture file.

Save out the .tga file.

Close the program.

Submit the asset.

That should fix the asset now.

ok however when I try this I get an error: "Compressed TGAs are not supported "specgrey.tga"

That's odd. That error only occurs if the asset is DLC.

I'm thinking your asset it totally hosed, meaning it's been corrupted in some way in while up on the now dead USLW website.

Back