Changing the default lighting

johnwhelan

For UK layouts the default lighting in TANE works quite well.

Is there some sort of configuration file I can load into TS19 that would set the lighting up to the TANE defaults?

Yes I know that TS19 can adjust lots of things but nothing I've seen so far seems to work close up and at a distance.

Evilcrow's screenshots do look good but I've no intention of spending my time learning how to become a lighting engineer.

Thoughts? and please Tony don't point me at the wiki. I'm lazy and just want what TANE could do without having to relearn everything.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John

Try resetting the Environment, it appears the defaults have been changed.

Being able to edit and Save shaders would be useful.

Last edited:
For UK layouts the default lighting in TANE works quite well.

Is there some sort of configuration file I can load into TS19 that would set the lighting up to the TANE defaults?

Yes I know that TS19 can adjust lots of things but nothing I've seen so far seems to work close up and at a distance.

Evilcrow's screenshots do look good but I've no intention of spending my time learning how to become a lighting engineer.

Thoughts? and please Tony don't point me at the wiki. I'm lazy and just want what TANE could do without having to relearn everything.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John
Totally agree with you John. I have been playing with the controls since TRS2019 was first released, and they are great for setting any view that has the sun behind you, but as soon as one turns (my trains often have to go round hills) then the sun glazes the hills and bleeds the colour right out of the texture. Yes ... the sun does bleed the colour in the real world, but no .... not to that extreme in my world (perhaps in Oz?), and I have yet to see English rolling hills with a glaze on them. Given the time that N3V have had to rectify this, but to no avail, my current position is that my Routes will go no further than T-ANE unless the lighting in TRS2019 is modified. Thx for bringing this up here. Regards. Colin.

I agree the lighting in general is too contrasty with the bright sunlight like that. We don't have that either where I live even on bright hot summer days. The TRS2019 lighting is great for the Desert Southwest, California, and the Midwest, but not the Northeast here in the US.

I default the lighting and setup for myself for all my routes. It's healthier for my retinas that way.

Having just moved a much treasured Uk route from TS2012 to TANE SP3 it took me no time at all to setup the lighting. If I'd done the same thing in TS2019/TRS19 I'd still be struggling to get rid of the harsh contrast that TS2019/TRS19's environmental lighting lays across everything. Even here in the Waikato at the height of our Summer we never see sunlight that looks like that.

I've noticed that resetting the diurnal color data in the environmental settings of TRS2019 build 110491 does improve the appearance of the shadows considerably imo.

Much tweaking is still required to obtain satisfactory overall lighting though.

Cheers

Too contrasty? I have trouble with the opposite, everything looks to be in a layer of mist in the morning and evening. It gets contrasty towards mid-day, but if you are on the shady side of the train it seems hard to see any detail. Where I live, mornings and evenings are often the best light, we don't have fog or mist except during winter inversions, so I am used to seeing crisp-clear mornings and evenings. And being on the shady side of something doesn't mean being in night-view.

Too contrasty? I have trouble with the opposite, everything looks to be in a layer of mist in the morning and evening. It gets contrasty towards mid-day, but if you are on the shady side of the train it seems hard to see any detail. Where I live, mornings and evenings are often the best light, we don't have fog or mist except during winter inversions, so I am used to seeing crisp-clear mornings and evenings. And being on the shady side of something doesn't mean being in night-view.

I get that initially then reset the environmental settings, adjust the brightest to noon, and tweak either side of that.

We have foggy mornings here that burn off towards noon time, but never super contrasting like it is in TRS19. If we get anything like that, it'll be super-humid with lots of wetness and RH in the 80% in the summer, or if it's winter it's foggy, cloudy, and warm. Fall and winter weather is generally our clearer drier weather with lighting similar to yours.

I agree that the lighting did seem to be better and more 'natural' in TANE. Can it be right that you have to set the colour of the sun to black and ambient light to dark grey to get even vaguely acceptable lighting for a UK set route?

Paul

Counterintuitive though it may seem, yes - in TRS19 it is a good idea to set the Sun color preview RGB controls in the Environmental Settings dialog to a uniform darkish-grey and to have the Ambient color preview RGB settings lighter for certain daylight time-slots/ periods. You'll get much more realistic details in shadows and highlights on landscape textures/ water reflections, etc.
TRS19 gives you an additional slider to affect overall 'light brightness' to the right of these controls which should be helpful to those of you wishing to recreate Northern hemisphere ambient light levels during both summer and winter.
env_set.jpg

One cool thing in T:ANE that TRS19 does not allow - You can bypass ALL post processing by turning PP to OFF. It is possible to manually adjust Post Processing elements in both programs, but only T:ANE allows your to turn them off completely. Neither allows you to have your manually-adjusted preferred PP settings saved and thus persistent between sessions.
The baked-in PP settings choices in TRS19 are crappy and show clear evidence that the programmer(s) have little understanding of real-world lighting physics and atmospherics.
I find the best result is achieved by setting the PP combo in TRS19 to LOW and leaving the manual settings entirely alone.

Last edited:
The baked-in PP settings choices in TRS19 are crappy and show clear evidence that the programmer(s) have little understanding of real-world lighting physics and atmospherics.

Being programmers, do they even go outside? :D

Anyway... I like your formula PC_Ace.

Thanks for that.

I've always thought, and said, that the lighting controls in TRS2019 are a black art, so arcane and complex.

Is it possible for N3V to give a comprehensive yet simple guide on how to control lighting levels in TRS2019? It would help me immensely!

Thank you,

Rob.

Back