Merge - Trackl of Merged Route Problem?

boleyd

I merged Coal Country and an MSGSAPPER Maine route. After smoothing the interface and cleaning the connecting set of tracks running AI trains across to the "other route" works well. However, there is a problem. I tried to place a consist on the what was the Coal Country route and all I get is the dull "thump" sound and nothing is placed. Same with track marks, triggers, etc. There was a TANE track on the portion of the new route. Changed it (bulk) to the same as the other merged route - TRS19 Trk Jarrah 3 Procedural. Same problem. I placed a not-connected piece of track int the Coal Country section and it accepted cars and locomotives. Connected it to existing track and it simply gave the "thump" sound.

If I can't solve it I could run several trains from the old Msgsapper route to Coal Country and leave them there to "seed" the Coal Country route with locomotives and cars/wagons.

This makes a fairly long route but FPS it does not suffer despite heavy vegetation using mostly Ultra and SAM trees /30FPS.

Last edited:
Ah a problem so complex it requires two identical threads:D

The only possibility that comes quickly to mind (it is early Christmas morning here and the fog from last nights celebrations has not yet cleared) is to check if any of the layers (especially the route-layer) are locked. Also check for any layer name conflicts - these should have been picked up in the merge process but who knows.

In addition to checking the things mentioned, also run delete missing assets. That may fix that weird problem.

I did check the layer name conflicts and I strenuously check for obsolete assets on my system that are not payware or otherwise locked each day. I was concerned that there may have been damage to either route. I severed the single connection between them and each was individually ok. I have no idea how the message was duplicated.

I wanted more industrial action on the Maine route and I wanted to expand the Coal Country. It seemed like a good marriage but the consummation failed.

I have had success in merging 2 routes - Msgsapper Portland, Maine and Coal Country. Both are heavily modified. Not sure what the core issue was but I had three levers with no switches near the track that connects the routes. But who knows. It now works. Biggest problem is keeping track of a larger group of names.

I had merged routes a long time ago and it was difficult but this was painless except for some residual stuff that needed fixing anyhow.

I have had success in merging 2 routes - Msgsapper Portland, Maine and Coal Country. Both are heavily modified. Not sure what the core issue was but I had three levers with no switches near the track that connects the routes. But who knows. It now works. Biggest problem is keeping track of a larger group of names.

I had merged routes a long time ago and it was difficult but this was painless except for some residual stuff that needed fixing anyhow.

I've had this issue before, but not related to merging. For some reason, my track went down under the ground and produced a knot. In another location, I had just as you found some levers that had nothing associated with it.

Another issue I've had is tracks can be moved, but the associated track object remain in their old position. I was told by support, Tony specifically, to run the Delete Missing Assets utility in Surveyor. Running that utility resolved my problem and I recommend doing the same.

Gave that a try and it found three assets. Ran ok after.
Prior to the Missing Asset purge I cleaned up all the rogue levers. "both routes", merged, run as they should.

Along with other items, N3v needs to take a look at the database. A maintenance routine, not a rebuild, that incorporates some of the customer strategies would be appropriate. Resorting and indexing is ok but a lot of customer angst is avoidable if the "tricks of the trade" were formalized.

Anyhow, the merge works and now I have two sets of stations and industry names to memorize.

PS: I just deleted a small chunk of track that had resisted all attempts to move, sink or delete = Delete Missing Assets gets the credit.

Last edited:
I'm glad that routine helped. I've run into odd things like that where that solution cleared things up. The assets themselves are okay, but me thinks the name-table or something else within the route-data is messed up causing these glitches.

I agree we need a maintenance mode, or maybe a sub-section that contains those additional tools such as a database clean-up where the database is reindexed without needing to resort to a DBR.

Back