Smoke/ exhaust glitches

STLSF4003

Ever since I got TRS19 I've noticed that odd things happen to the smoke on steam engines on almost every route I've run.

Things like this.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

(note: the engine is standing still)
And I've also seen the smoke just up and spaz out while running as well.

I can't be the only one having this issue right?

Go to launch screen - trainz settings - performance - untick 'Use PhysX simulation' box at bottom of screen. This will cure the smoke distortion problem, but you will lose smoke in tunnels and blocked smoke through some scenery items. It is either or, no compromise unfortunately. The distortion with 'Use PhysX' ticked is caused by trackside objects, so past posts have said.

ingha

Go to launch screen - trainz settings - performance - untick 'Use PhysX simulation' box at bottom of screen. This will cure the smoke distortion problem, but you will lose smoke in tunnels and blocked smoke through some scenery items. It is either or, no compromise unfortunately. The distortion with 'Use PhysX' ticked is caused by trackside objects, so past posts have said.

ingha

Thanks man!

I guess until they (if ever) fix the issue, I guess i'll have to run without those fancy smoke effects.

For such HW there is no need to switch the simulation of PhysX on, the PhysX HW acceleration is native technology of nVidia implemented in their VGAs long time ago. So the PhysX simulation is needed for other than nVidia VGA cards (or for very obsolete nVidia ones). If VGA card fully supports PhysX and PhysX simulation is switched on, Trainz makes such oddities with smoke and entire vehicle physics. N3V should implement detection of real PhysX support appearance to make that option unavailable (and constantly off) in such case. But it would cost their "teams" too much time (money) so their rather let the user confused getting unsatisfactory visual output...

For such HW there is no need to switch the simulation of PhysX on, the PhysX HW acceleration is native technology of nVidia implemented in their VGAs long time ago. So the PhysX simulation is needed for other than nVidia VGA cards (or for very obsolete nVidia ones). If VGA card fully supports PhysX and PhysX simulation is switched on, Trainz makes such oddities with smoke and entire vehicle physics. N3V should implement detection of real PhysX support appearance to make that option unavailable (and constantly off) in such case. But it would cost their "teams" too much time (money) so their rather let the user confused getting unsatisfactory visual output...

The PhysX technology isn't used for graphics acceleration in TANE and up and instead it's used for particle collision detection so that smoke doesn't go through bridges, trees, and precipitation doesn't go through tunnels and buildings.

There has always been an issue of some sort with this and even N3V recommends turning this off at this point until they fix it or change to another technology.

There always been the only issue that N3V allows user to switch the simulation on on machines which supports it natively. Seems You are somehow confused, You should not confuse graphics HW acceleration with HW PhysX acceleration. Those are two totally different things.

There always been the only issue that N3V allows user to switch the simulation on on machines which supports it natively. Seems You are somehow confused, You should not confuse graphics HW acceleration with HW PhysX acceleration. Those are two totally different things.

Yes that is an issue outside of the fact that the user asking about this has an NVidia card and so do I, and I have had the same issues so I turned the PhysX off in-game and now there's no performance drop or weird smoke issues.

That is entirely correct. Once You have nVidia card, You have PhysX natively supported and thats why the simulation of it is undesirable.

Hi All
To clarify. In this case the 'enable PhysX Simulation' option is to enabled or disable the additional particle effect collisions in Trainz. This is for things like smoke effects bouncing off bridges or tunnels.

This will function the same on any hardware, however with NVidia cards it may benefit from the PhysX hardware that is built in.

The good news is that particle effects will bounce off the terrain with this option turned off.

Unfortunately as the majority of content for Trainz does not have their collision boxes/models configured correctly, most objects behave strangeley with PhysX Simulation enabled.

Examples of this are locomotives where the particle effect is being generated inside the collision box, and hence becomes 'offset' up or across. Or where a station building's collision box is the entire building, including over all of the tracks, and again resulting in smoke effects being offset to outside of the collision box.

Regards

Back