TRS19 Name Change ?

big_b

When if anytime will we see a name change. TRS19 is starting to sound a bit out dated now
It's been around for just on 2yrs now and now we are on the verge of going into 2021

So should TS2012 get a name change as well? They never change the name, just come out with a newer version, of which so far, there's no sign of. Seems unlikely there will be a TRS22 version now, perhaps with all the work on TRS19 and its zillion versions, we may see a TRS23?

So should TS2012 get a name change as well? They never change the name, just come out with a newer version, of which so far, there's no sign of. Seems unlikely there will be a TRS22 version now, perhaps with all the work on TRS19 and its zillion versions, we may see a TRS23?

No TS2012 and Tane were released as a new version the same as every other version before them. They had a limited life ( including limited support ) after which a new version was released.
That new release is now TRS2019 and a whole new concept in how the game is delivered and updated.Virtually no end date as it's always in Beta nothing like TS2012 or Tane
Realistically TRS2019 could still be around in 100yrs with Service Pack 73 .So how far do Service Packs go ?
Or do we get to a point where TRS2019 comes to an end and a new TRS????? takes it's place.
If I were buying a new game I would have my doubts about a game that suggests it was made in 2019 when I'ts 2021 or what ever .
Even though it is up to date with what is available at the present time to get the most out of it the name doesn't reflect that.
If you were looking for a new state of the art PC you wouldn't be looking for something that was advertised as a PC-2019 model
That's just the way I see it.

If I were buying a new game I would have my doubts about a game that suggests it was made in 2019 when I'ts 2021 or what ever .
Even though it is up to date with what is available at the present time to get the most out of it the name doesn't reflect that.
If you were looking for a new state of the art PC you wouldn't be looking for something that was advertised as a PC-2019 model
That's just the way I see it.

That's true but we purchased our Honda Pilot in 2001 and you can still go out and buy a Honda Pilot 20 years later.

That's true but cars aren't computer games / simulators
The other train sims (alternative to Trainz ) are labeled 2020 and 2021
That makes our 2019 look like an old version to whats available
Which I could only find if I spelt Trainz with a Z otherwise it doesn't show up in a search

N3V Games typically maintain support for major product releases for at least four years from the initial release date. This is known as the "end-of-support" date for the product.

September 2023 is end of Support for TRS2019

N3V Games typically maintain support for major product releases for at least four years from the initial release date. This is known as the "end-of-support" date for the product.

September 2023 is end of Support for TRS2019

The name in this case has nothing to do with the release date. Who knows what the next iteration will be. That's up to Tony and the crew to decide. As far as support, that's generally the stated rule, but it doesn't always seem to go that way. TS12 remained in support much longer than the end of support date. In the past, the crew used to support all the previous versions, but that proved to be too burdensome for the support staff of one person, so starting with TS12, support for the oldest versions was dropped and the end-of-support periods were implemented.

While tying the product name to a particular year might make it easy to recognize the newest version it also means it is easy to know when it gets old. Many of my other applications just use a version number. I guess it is up to N3V to decide which is the better method. Me, I would rather have a version number without any overt reference to a year. YMMV

With N3V now trying to push the Trainz+ version of TRS19, with periodic large feature updates, I wonder if they're in it for the long haul with TRS19. Honestly, I think there's only so much they can improve on, in terms of features and graphics.

Matt

Back