Exact Center of Screen - Causes Extreme Excursions??

boleyd

When clicking, or moving about, with the right-hand mouse button. Unless I am really close to the exact screen center the screen will jump to an extreme point. There is probably some way to reduce the sensitivity? I could use a Sharpie to put a dot in the center....:eek:

I've only been a Trainzer for two years. But you'd think in two years a person would get used to something. I'm still not used to this "center click" and drag method to move.! It's the least intuitive thing I've ever encountered in my small world of gaming.

Try "Compass speed" setting. It's in game Settings: "Interface Settings"
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:TRS19_Interface_Settings

(I've come close too to the magic marker spot. Actually I was going to use a little snipped corner of a post-it note)

As far as I can recall, that has always been the case.

When you right mouse click on the layout that point becomes the position for the cursor (NSEWUp pointer) and the new focus point for the screen point of view. If your click point is close to the current cursor position then the move is usually quite accurate. If it is far away, at the extremities, it becomes less accurate. I suspect that is because each pixel on the horizon covers a much larger area of ground than each pixel closer to the camera point of view.

When clicking, or moving about, with the right-hand mouse button. Unless I am really close to the exact screen center the screen will jump to an extreme point. There is probably some way to reduce the sensitivity? I could use a Sharpie to put a dot in the center....:eek:

When the right mouse button is clicked and held down on an immediate area or some distance ahead, movement is reasonably more controllable when moving the mouse at the same time. You can move in smooth circles, go forward, stop, spin around to go back etc. When at an area just release the right mouse button. When the button is released and still moving forward (not fast) it feels like you are flying and it gives time to observe the route for any changes that may be need, or to admire the handywork etc.

If need to go a long distance zoom out and use the map. Right click on the area then zoom in and walla, you are at the new area.

And as 1611mac mentioned reduce the compass speed.

When the right mouse button is clicked and held down on an immediate area or some distance ahead, movement is reasonably more controllable when moving the mouse at the same time. You can move in smooth circles, go forward, stop, spin around to go back etc. When at an area just release the right mouse button. When the button is released and still moving forward (not fast) it feels like you are flying and it gives time to observe the route for any changes that may be need, or to admire the handywork etc.

If need to go a long distance zoom out and use the map. Right click on the area then zoom in and walla, you are at the new area.

And as 1611mac mentioned reduce the compass speed.

This is how I navigate all over maps and have since the TRS2004 days. I did reduce the compass speed way, way down because if I don't I end up with head spins from vertigo as I ended up zipping off where I didn't intend to go.

I cannot remember not using the mouse that way as it is a simple and an easy way to get around and becomes natural pretty quickly. :)

Last edited:
I cannot remember not using the mouse that way as it is a simple and an easy way to get around and becomes natural pretty quickly. :)

Interesting. What other piece of software (game or otherwise) acts that way? Curious because I can't think of any.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In fact, it's rather nice to be able to move around the route/map quickly and endlessly. Quite nice in fact. But it is just not an obvious thing to do and it can get out of control quickly if settings are too fast and you are not starting in center of screen. But honestly, map scrolling won't be my biggest challenge today. :)

The problem is that if you click on a distant object you stand a chance of zipping way beyond the target with only a slightly misplaced position. I never played a game on a PC so I do not have a view of the gaming software. Just having a CRT was a major thing in my world. I was amazed with the first SUN Microsystems large CRTs with graphics. We all crowded around the person demoing it. The N3V scheme is 50%/50%. Good/Bad.
Perhaps allowing further slowing the speed adjustment the customer could then attain proper control for the work at-hand.

Using the "master" Windows level cursor speed adjustment is NOT satisfactory. Slowing for N#V now limits a full left-to-right movement to two clicks. It is very slow...

Last edited:
Interesting. What other piece of software (game or otherwise) acts that way? Curious because I can't think of any.

Quote "I cannot remember not using the mouse that way" = using in Trainz :) . Probably found out how to do it that way with experimenting or possibly from another game at that time where you hold a mouse button down to turn. As JCitron uses it that way too, maybe even got the idea from the forums here years ago. Too many years have passed for me to remember exactly now unfortunately.

@ Boleyd, you can slow the mouse/compass down in Trainz main screen after clicking on 'Start Trainz' > System Menu (top left) > Settings > Interface > Compass speed. If you hold the right mouse button down and release when needed, movement is more easier to control. If you have the camara tilted down a bit too, will travel less distance and makes if even easier to stop. You will need to experiment but I do highly recommend using the right mouse button held down for movement.

I use it as you described. However, If I click high above the base of the target it just zooms past the target. The speed settings in Settings are at minimum. I have disliked the action for years. It is too easy to forget and click too high on something, especially if you are at ground level.

I do not expect ant N3V changes. I was just wondering if I had missed some setting somewhere - guess not. A few more years and I will not be making the High Clicks.

In 'compass movement' have you tried the keyboard option? Just use the up/down/sidways arrows instead of mouse to move?
If the camera behavior is set to 'panning' instead of rotation, when moving you will not partially rotate when moving forward etc. Can still rotate using the mouse when stationary. This is changed in 'interface settings > compass movement
I am at a loss what else to think of. :(

I use it as you described. However, If I click high above the base of the target it just zooms past the target. -snip-

I could be wrong but I think that there is no "target." ie: a click on the screen towards the edge is simply saying "scroll this direction really fast." I could be wrong. Or said another way, clicking on outside gives direction and speed of movement but does not define a stopping point. I always click in the center and then move outward. Even if my "target" is out at the edge. Again, that's just my interpretation of what's happening.

The speed of the movement depends on the viewing direction. In top down view the movement could be controlled precisely. In a more horizontal view it's very difficult to control the movement.

Peter

. I did reduce the compass speed way, way down because if I don't I end up with head spins from vertigo as I ended up zipping off where I didn't intend to go.

This is true for me also. Rarely does a day go by that I haven't ended up being thrown into some obscure corn field by a right click
micro-burst.

How nice would it be to have a Shift Right Mouse automatically start in center of screen. One for the "Suggestion Boxcar?"

Back