No more session creation in Standard - is it true?

hutten

Hello,

Is it true that the Standard edition of TRS19 once updated to SP2 no longer has the option Create Session? This is what I read on the Trainz Portal, "Recent changes in functionality". So, the upgrade removes a feature that has always been there and which seems basic to me? How can this be true? I must buy Platinum (i.e. buy TRS19 once more) to be able to make a session?
I haven't seen any comments on this, so I may be wrong. I do not dare to install SP2 now.
Thanks for any clarification.

Regards,
Paul

I don't know about that menu pick disappearing, but if you make a session in 4.7, it will not be usable for any of the users with 4.6 routes, such as Philskene's.

Paul,

Session creating is still done the same. At the Driver/Surveyor menu, click on the route you want to create/edit a session for by clicking then again on View Sessions that's located in the lower right corner.

SP2 for the standard version, if I am correct, adds in the real-time jump between driver and surveyor to allow you to drive on the fly, or fix things on the fly. You need to be careful doing this with a live driving session, but it works great during the testing phase when you want to test crossings, signals, and other things like that.

Outside of this change, nothing else has. What it did do, however, is remove the quick drive.

Hello John,

Thanks for your answer. I am not at ease. The Trains Portal (http://www.trainzportal.com/News/view/trs19-service-pack-2-released) says:

<<
Quickdrive is found in Standard + Regional Editions and provides access to the Train tab to place trains.
All other builds replace this option with “Create Session” where you get access to the Trainz tab and all other editing tools, plus the Session Rules dialog where you can set up more complex rules and commands.

>>

To me this means that the Standard edition does no longer allow session creation and editing, placing driver commands, adding rules etc.
Anyone using Standard SP2 to convince me that it is not like that?

Regards,
Paul

I don't think so Paul, I think it just means that "Quick Drive" is gone in all other versions. Standard should have both, but my Platinum, for instance, only has "Create Session, and I do my Quick drives there. In fact, Platinum never had the Quick Drive at all, even before SP2....

Given it was beta tested for some months I think there would have been a riot on here if you couldn't create sessions.

And the point is standard edition, and I presume you mean SP1 and earlier, are NOT changed, so session creation as stated by your own quote is still there. You may proceed as normal. As for SP2, I'm waiting before I touch that and see if all the problems get sorted!

Thanks everyone for replying.
"Standard" is official terminology on the N3V Trainz Portal site; I do not mean SP1, I mean Standard as opposed to Platinum or Plus editions, all SP2.
Given the reports that have been placed on this forum, I will also be careful and wait.

Regards,
Paul

Paul --

I have the Standard Edition -- the most basic of them all. I have just upgraded to SP2. I can confirm that I can still make new sessions for my routes.

Phil

Paul --

I have the Standard Edition -- the most basic of them all. I have just upgraded to SP2. I can confirm that I can still make new sessions for my routes.

Phil

It will be interesting to see if any new sessions you choose to upload will be usable for anyone without SP2. The Trainz Newsletter states that assets created in SP2 will not run in lower builds.

You can definitely create sessions in all versions. The point was that you no longer look for quickdrive to create your session.

Sessions saved in SP2 will not work in SP1 or earlier.

pitkin --

I still work in TRS19 without SP1 'cause it gives direct access to the Do / Undo buttons. For both making routes and for constructing sessions.

Phil

Hello John,

Thanks for your answer. I am not at ease. The Trains Portal (http://www.trainzportal.com/News/view/trs19-service-pack-2-released) says:

<<
Quickdrive is found in Standard + Regional Editions and provides access to the Train tab to place trains.
All other builds replace this option with “Create Session” where you get access to the Trainz tab and all other editing tools, plus the Session Rules dialog where you can set up more complex rules and commands.

>>

To me this means that the Standard edition does no longer allow session creation and editing, placing driver commands, adding rules etc.
Anyone using Standard SP2 to convince me that it is not like that?

Regards,
Paul

It is not worded correctly, all trainz versions can create sessions. Quick drive allows you to add trains while you are in driver. Quick drive is replaced with the unified driver surveyor. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Unified_Driver_Surveyor for information. This allows you to re-enter surveyor and add trains plus do anything else on the route or session. You just return to driver to continue from where you were at.

Given the fact that I just spent 37 hours over three days fixing all the problems created by the SP2 patch on my TRS19 North American edition, worrying about whether you can create sessions is the least of the potential problems. But if you do decide to risk it, I recommend you move all of the DLC packages in the packages folder to another folder first. This should leave you with a clean empty packages folder. Then run the patch. This should complete OK but you may be missing dependencies on items. Run an extended DBR and then use Trainz Content button to download your DLC fresh from the server. If you are not lucky, you may still have items with missing assets that need to be downloaded from the DLS. Some items may show as unknown for some reason I can't understand as they were there before the patch but in CM use Show Asset Versions to see all the older versions on the DLS and use download this version to get the next older one and then delete the "unknown" one. That should force Trainz to see the older one and clear the faulty flag.

I suggest doing the above because the process of updating DLC is buggy as hel? and left my DLC packages so hosed that I couldn't run an extended DBR without it freezing halfway through. It was also twice as fast.

Now if you have the Steam version, some DLC may complete with a View Error on the button instead of uninstall. This appears to be because the Steam Client didn't like something but the DLC did install itself in the packages folder and works fine. If you click on the view error button it will give you the option to retry or cancel. Click Cancel and the button will now show uninstall and if needed in the future uninstall the DLC correctly but with another error which you can ignore.

William

Last edited:
You are not forced to save a new session, you can just save the route.

What? Before UDS, I could open the train tab, add/remove/move rolling stock at any time during a driver session, then when I wanted to save the current game, it was saved as a "saved game". Now with UDS, the train tab is not accessible in Driver, so I must switch to Surveyor, then go back to Driver, and when I want to save, I am forced to save a new session instead of a "saved game".

Paul,

Session creating is still done the same. At the Driver/Surveyor menu, click on the route you want to create/edit a session for by clicking then again on View Sessions that's located in the lower right corner.

SP2 for the standard version, if I am correct, adds in the real-time jump between driver and surveyor to allow you to drive on the fly, or fix things on the fly. You need to be careful doing this with a live driving session, but it works great during the testing phase when you want to test crossings, signals, and other things like that.

Outside of this change, nothing else has. What it did do, however, is remove the quick drive.

How do the editing during driver i am not seeing anything, only thing close is exit driver. Thanks.

Back