Long freeware North American route recommendations

STLSF4003

I've already got UMR 2020 and I've tried out Davesnow's Cotton Belt route but I wanted to know if there where any other good long on the DLS or on the web to play around with.

The only catch is that I'm for routes that have great detail, so that might make things a bit harder.

Thai1On has a great L&A route on the DLS that is a long and well-detailed site set just prior to WWI, but can be played for any era for that matter. Also the BNSF Clovis to Lubbock by maxwerks, and FDL Fond du Lac for T:ANE by rhkluckhorn. Hopefully those will get you started and I am sure others will pipe in here with more!

Dave Snow created a Cotton Belt route which is quite long. The latest versions for TRS2019 are quite long with extra branch lines too to drive. Being on the DLS, these routes can be edited and "updated" however you like.

Start running the BNS Clovis to Lubbock route by waxworks. If you compare the route to reality (Google street view, Google earth, etc) you will be amazed. Best done if you have two computers side by side. It is amazing.

" ... North American ... good long ... great detail ... ."

A big ask. An enormous amount of work goes into making a long route and adding "great" detail compounds the task. I should know 'cause of all the effort that went into "Rivercide", and that's actually only longish, only reasonably detailed and an update of an earlier route:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?157492-Newish-TRS19-route-The-Rivercide-Railroad-Co

I also have to confess that I find most long routes rather boring - nothing seems to happen, no matter how good the detail. If someone could also suggest one that is "interesting" ... .

Phil

Dave Snow created a Cotton Belt route which is quite long. The latest versions for TRS2019 are quite long with extra branch lines too to drive. Being on the DLS, these routes can be edited and "updated" however you like.

I'm still downloading the Cotton Belt route and from what i can see as of now it's a great route, but it'll need a few.....edits to suit my likes.

Also, another two "long" routes I have are Crawford Nebraska and Powder River Basin.

I'm still downloading the Cotton Belt route and from what i can see as of now it's a great route, but it'll need a few.....edits to suit my likes.

Also, another two "long" routes I have are Crawford Nebraska and Powder River Basin.

Those two other routes are really nice as well. Dean did a nice job with those. I happened to travel through Gillette back in 2012 and 2016 on severe storm chasing trips with Roger Hill. The other rail fans and I had our heads on pivots as we traveled along I-90 because the mines are located right along the highway.

Speaking of trips, I also went through Strafford TX and on to Dalhart as we headed towards the Clovis, NM area for chasing.

The reason why I'm bringing this up, even if it seems off topic, is the routes are done well enough to spark my memories when I've ridden along the rails in the area.

Modifying downloaded routes is not uncommon. The good news is whatever you modify is now under your own ID so the original is never lost.

You might take a look at my routes on the DLS. Search for jrfolco or kuid 73500. All of my routes content is DLS only. The Baltimore to Connellsville and West Mega Route has over 1100 miles of main line trackage. It includes the entire Western Maryland RR from the Port Covington yard in Baltimore through Cumberland Md, Elkins WV to West Alexander WV, along with a branch from Cumberland to Connellsville. in addition, it includes the Cass Scenic RR, and The B&O RR from Baltimore to Grafton WV along with quite a few other interchanging railroads.

It may be what you're looking for.
Joe

" ... North American ... good long ... great detail ... ."

A big ask. An enormous amount of work goes into making a long route and adding "great" detail compounds the task. I should know 'cause of all the effort that went into "Rivercide", and that's actually only longish, only reasonably detailed and an update of an earlier route:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?157492-Newish-TRS19-route-The-Rivercide-Railroad-Co

I also have to confess that I find most long routes rather boring - nothing seems to happen, no matter how good the detail. If someone could also suggest one that is "interesting" ... .

Phil

It would be intriguing if you, as an engineer had to stay on the alert for any possible unexpected hazard over the course of a long route. That would keep us on our toes. ...and hopefully avoid falling asleep, snoring with our mouths wide open behind the throttle.

Jimmy --

"It would be intriguing if you, as an engineer had to stay on the alert for any possible unexpected hazard over the course of a long route."

Well, in that case try one of the sessions for either versions of "Rivercise". Both routes have a separated track for AI trainz, but there are several squeeze points where the AI and Player track combine. As Player you need to be continually alert to make sure you don't have a cornfield meet at these squeeze points. And you usually have to do some switching at the yards along the way, delivering or picking up freight cars. Trust me, there ain't no snoozing for Chuck & Joe on any of my routes or sessions.

Phil

Back