What is Bannock?

William - this is a recipe for bread sauce as used with turkey and other poultry in the UK:

6 cloves
3oz breadcrumbs
¾ pint milk
1 oz butter
1 small onion
Pepper and salt

Stick the cloves in the onion. Put the milk in a saucepan. Add the onion and stand at the side of the stove for 30 minutes. Warm but do not boil. Remove the onion. Add the crumbs, fat, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until the crumbs have absorbed all the milk. When piping hot, add a pat of butter and serve at once.

This is from an old recipe book at least seventy years old and the "stove" refers to the old cottage type black cooking range with open coal fire with an oven at the side. The recipe has not changed much to this day. Personally, I would omit the cloves as I detest them!

I cheated this year and bought a pack of ready-to-mix ... just add hot milk.

I have no idea of knowing how this custom originated but there is a more elaborate version in Mrs Beeton's Everyday Cookery, published in 1865.

Stuffing is also served with turkey, and there are several varieties available ready-to-mix with boiling water.

Ray

Yep, don't forget the accent. Here is a funny story for you. We were in Melbourne, Australia in 2015 and as we were coming back from a long day trip we decided to stop at a KFC restaurant. So I was looking at the menu to see what was unique to the Australian version of KFC. I asked the young man behind the counter a question but he couldn't understand my accent. My friend who is from Montana translated for him but then I couldn't understand his answer due to his accent so she had to translate for me. We finally go it straight but it had all of us laughing.

William

Well, Mister William, I do understand y'all got accents in the great state of Alabama, but I show nuff didn't know they had accents in Montana. Now in New Yuk, we don't have no accents here, pal but some say we twalk fwunny....but that's a regional thing that applys mostly to the eastern end of the state.....which I'm glad to say I'm on the opposite end.

Pigs in a blanket. That sounds pretty good right right now, being it's a might chilly today. Hold the syrup.

Last edited:
Back