How many of us are still using TANE ?

I keep a (regularly-updated but never used) copy of T:ANE SP4 on my F: drive now for nostalgia reasons only: - T:ANE was that wonderful 64-bit transformation of Trainz that seemed to be in beta forever and never fully completed.
It's there still mainly 'cos sirgibby is bringing Murchison 3 to T:ANE first and not TRS19. (Murchison 2 is the only reason that TS12 still occupies disk space on one of my hard disk drives).
Apart from the fact that you can turn off ALL of the unwanted postprocessing effects in T:ANE, TRS19 does everything that T:ANE does - better; with greater efficiency; performance and facility.
It looks better and runs more smoothly on the same platform specs - and importantly - receives more frequent bug fixes and continuous-improvement enhancements from the developers.
I dearly loved my hard-won and relatively expensive Kickstarter 'Trainz: A New Era' builds for many years, but the latest TRS19 - Platinum Edition build is vastly superior in almost every respect, and its Surveyor mode a much better platform for route and session development.

I completely agree with you PC_Ace!

Have used the Trainz Simulator 12 for most of the time since December 2011, however now upgraded to the TANE SP4 product.
I found that when installing TANE for the first time took a while to settle on the PC and ran rough for a while until cached.
Now running well with selected payware downloads and updates from the Trainz DLS.
Unfortunately cannot comment about further releases like the TRS 2019 however this following offer is tempting to try out:

https://store.trainzportal.com/page...-97155593&mc_cid=53650a961c&mc_eid=0a6c842f79

Offer is valid for 14 days till end of December 2020.

I moved on to 2019. I don’t care about TurfFX. It runs great. I figure it help fund improvements and future versions. I like they support the Mac and will continue to support the Mac. As least for now.

I suspect its very few and diminishing daily.

I hope you are wrong. I'll be using TANE for a long time yet because I prefer to avoid a new Trainz product until it becomes mature and kind-of bug free. I am still updating my operating routes to TANE standard.

I've actually just started on a route project in TANE SP4. It seems to run better on my laptop than TRS19 and the interface is certainly much nicer than 19, too. The only obstacle might be some of the scripted items going wonky if/when the route is brought forward into 19, but then we've seen that with items that started off okay in 19 and subsequent builds have broken it (IT's come to mind).

I can live without the ghastly PBR textures and let's face it most of the rolling stock along with cabs and sounds we end up using, come from 12 years ago anyway... :)

Maybe I judged TANE too quickly, I could not get over the fact that you could not rotate the brushes when filling in the terrain after many, many months of complaining about it not working in the beater testing, finally I just left, I guess they must have fixed things a lot since then.
By all your remarks it seems to have become one of the stablest of platforms. At the time though I would have never thought it imaginable.

I put Trainz aside about a year or so ago and just came back. Since SP4 is out I'll use TANE for awhile, I really haven't used it enough to get my Kickstarter money's worth

I use Tane SP3, SP4 and TRS19. Each has its advantage. Currently, TRS19 had way too many Missing Dependencies. Spend a lot of time trying to find them but there always seam to be a couple I can't find. A lot of the routes come from DLS with faulty assets. I get tired and turn it all off after awhile. Tane seems to work better but the scenery and shadows effects of TRS19 are amazing and really make it more enjoyable to work with. My .02

DRM free sp4 TANE is out.

Cheerio John

I installed SP4 and found that for very large routes (which is what I do) the "system failure" bug (in which signals stop responding, trains sit at green signals with the HUD showing red, AI goes haywire, etc.) started appearing after about 35-40 minutes instead of an hour or more. Since N3V chose not to reveal what was allegedly "fixed" in SP4 and I didn't see anything fixed that affected me (such as giant red/green arrows appearing every time a junction was accessed) I reverted to SP3. It's good enough, and nothing in TS2019 appears to be worth the many hours of fixing assets that seems to be a ritual with every Trainz upgrade.

--Lamont

T:ANE is my go to Trainz platform whilst I'm still getting to grips with TRS19. The T:ANE user interface is bad but the TRS19 user interface is abysmal, so arcane, and TRS19 environment controls are still a black art to me!

Many creators are now producing assets for TRS19 only, the sooner N3V make TRS19 a lot more user friendly then all the better, in my humble opinion.

Rob.

At the rate TRS19 content is being produced, it'll take 83.3 years to match the amount of made for earlier versions. That's not counting non-DLS content. I'd be curious how much TRS19-only content even uses PBR.

I am using SP4 Tane, I accidently overwrote my SP3 version. Originally it was SP1 for a long time and I have never had any of the problems listed on here in those early versions.
I run a large complicated fully AI route and the only trouble I have had with SP4 is that it will sometimes CTD when I am saving a session that I have been working on.
With SP4 I don't lose any of that work as it gives me the option to use it the next time I go into the session or route.
Cheers,
Mike

I used to use TRS2019, bought TANE first. TRS2019 would always crash on my old computer. When I got my new computer, both games would work, but in the end, I use TANE due to assets I really like being broken in TRS2019.

I use ts19 now but have had tane for a long time. From experience in downloading many things and seeing others do it aswell many people would still download it for ts19 even though it was for tane. On the other hand many people I know just upgraded from 12 to tane so there is plenty of people left that will enjoy it. Not sure if tane still shows under my name but it is still in use by me every now and then.

For me the real killer against moving to 2019 is that i can create my own vegetation (without learning a 3d program) in TANE using the jvc minky blueprints . Yes , they do not look as good as the best speedtrees, but given there are no speedtrees that fit the bill for the routes I am building, I either learn blender and spend a year or so making the items , or i spend a month doing them in TANE with the aid of photoshop.Its a no-brainer for me at least.

i tried 2019 again last night and other than there is a better 'look ' to it , i just cannot warm to it. the clutter stuff is the only option available for mac , but I find the drop down menus very off putting , i imagine one gets a library of the presets together after a while , but I just cant get motivated enough to jump in and develop the skills needed to take advantage of it. i imagine the best thing would be to start a new route in 2019 from scratch, but the example of Horace Fithers keeps on flashing in my mind , his issues were not minor and i think if he had made his route in TANE, we would still have him here making routes. If I ever make a route in 2019, it will be small scale so if it does develop the collywoobles , I wont have lost several years of work. .

I use TRS19 most commonly nowadays, but I still use T:ANE. I decided to start one of my routes in T:ANE for compatibility.
T:ANE is still quite fun to play, and it's good it's still getting support.

dangavel - Like any complex computer program, the quality of your output is highly concomitant with the amount of time invested in learning how to use it properly and well.
TRS19 deserves further attention from you for you to begin to appreciate why the majority of Trainz users now believe it is the superior platform for Trainz route creation, session development and asset creation.
Indeed, since TRS19 has evolved from the the very best of what T:ANE SP4 had to offer and has many new and worthwhile features added that T:ANE lacks, this is the smart horse to bet on in your race towards railroad simulation Nirvana.
If dropdown menus are a problem, then learn the shortcut keys and customise the control inputs and interface to suit your needs.
Regarding trees and other vegetation - I created a single-board route and planted just about every Speedtree and tree group in rows making up a plantation that can be easily viewed to allow me to make judicious choices about exactly which trees are good enough, perform well enough and above all, look realistic enough in Asset Preview close-up and then at any distance - to make the cut for inclusion in my current route work in progress.
(And, yep, I totally agree with you that there aren't very many trees in either T:ANE or TRS19 that meet our demanding high-quality expectations, but a few do exist, and more of them are available in TRS19 than in T:ANE).
Personally, I cannot stand billboard trees and other 2D planar efforts/ contrivances.
Used sparingly, TurfFX and Clutter can add much more realism to trackside vegetation and scenery. Unfortunately, these features of TRS19 are not an option for MAC users or T:ANE route developers, but along with PBR textures, they constitute a distinctive difference in the appearance of routes created in TRS19.
In every case where I have brought my own routes over from T:ANE into TRS19 I have been able to improve upon their appearance AND performance by using some of these new effects and the additional tools made available by TRS19's Surveyor mode.
Don't get me wrong - I still love T:ANE and have invested many years of blood, sweat & tears as well as money in its path from early Kickstarter betas to the recent SP4 betas and the current 'final'? SP4 build. Just check out my posts from that entire era.
I now choose to invest more of my time helping like-minded individuals in the continued evolution of the Trainz railway simulator program to achieve even higher performance and more realistic-appearance heights. T:ANE is no longer that vehicle (for me).

Just a comment, when you create Trainz uses the next available kuid number. Using two versions at once gets this confused so for those who create you need to stay ni one version for creating content. For me that is TS19 note you can still create at a lower version number than TS19 but it does keep the kuid numbers straight.

Cheerio John

dangavel - Like any complex computer program, the quality of your output is highly concomitant with the amount of time invested in learning how to use it properly and well.
TRS19 deserves further attention from you for you to begin to appreciate why the majority of Trainz users now believe it is the superior platform for Trainz route creation, session development and asset creation.
Indeed, since TRS19 has evolved from the the very best of what T:ANE SP4 had to offer and has many new and worthwhile features added that T:ANE lacks, this is the smart horse to bet on in your race towards railroad simulation Nirvana.
If dropdown menus are a problem, then learn the shortcut keys and customise the control inputs and interface to suit your needs.
Regarding trees and other vegetation - I created a single-board route and planted just about every Speedtree and tree group in rows making up a plantation that can be easily viewed to allow me to make judicious choices about exactly which trees are good enough, perform well enough and above all, look realistic enough in Asset Preview close-up and then at any distance - to make the cut for inclusion in my current route work in progress.
(And, yep, I totally agree with you that there aren't very many trees in either T:ANE or TRS19 that meet our demanding high-quality expectations, but a few do exist, and more of them are available in TRS19 than in T:ANE).
Personally, I cannot stand billboard trees and other 2D planar efforts/ contrivances.
Used sparingly, TurfFX and Clutter can add much more realism to trackside vegetation and scenery. Unfortunately, these features of TRS19 are not an option for MAC users or T:ANE route developers, but along with PBR textures, they constitute a distinctive difference in the appearance of routes created in TRS19.
In every case where I have brought my own routes over from T:ANE into TRS19 I have been able to improve upon their appearance AND performance by using some of these new effects and the additional tools made available by TRS19's Surveyor mode.
Don't get me wrong - I still love T:ANE and have invested many years of blood, sweat & tears as well as money in its path from early Kickstarter betas to the recent SP4 betas and the current 'final'? SP4 build. Just check out my posts from that entire era.
I now choose to invest more of my time helping like-minded individuals in the continued evolution of the Trainz railway simulator program to achieve even higher performance and more realistic-appearance heights. T:ANE is no longer that vehicle (for me).
That's all well and good , but if I want to to make tree assets for 2019,the process is infinitely MORE convoluted and time consuming , if NV3 can't be bothered to make the means to do so available as they did in the past and there are virtually no asset makers who are creating any 3D trees, moving to make specific routes in 2019 that are populated by the correct trees is not possible, the items I began to use 3 years ago for the Uintah railway didn't look that great in Tane ( apart from clam 1952s shrubs ) , but they were adequate, in 2019 , they either are seethrough or look appalling, wheareas I find them acceptable in TANE. I'm not going to spend several years remaking a route so it's 2019 optimised ,
I might not live that long for a start.....

Back