How many of us are still using TANE ?

Maybe I judged TANE too quickly, I could not get over the fact that you could not rotate the brushes when filling in the terrain after many, many months of complaining about it not working in the beater testing, finally I just left, I guess they must have fixed things a lot since then.
By all your remarks it seems to have become one of the stablest of platforms. At the time though I would have never thought it imaginable.

Hey, that's been the story with every edition of Trainz since '06! (Except maybe 10, which I thought a dud except for TUME's Avery-Drexel route.)

:B~D

I installed SP4 and found that for very large routes (which is what I do) the "system failure" bug (in which signals stop responding, trains sit at green signals with the HUD showing red, AI goes haywire, etc.) started appearing after about 35-40 minutes instead of an hour or more. Since N3V chose not to reveal what was allegedly "fixed" in SP4 and I didn't see anything fixed that affected me (such as giant red/green arrows appearing every time a junction was accessed) I reverted to SP3. It's good enough, and nothing in TS2019 appears to be worth the many hours of fixing assets that seems to be a ritual with every Trainz upgrade.

--Lamont

That sounds like memory limitations in your PC. I bumped my RAM from 16Mb to 24 and it's made a world of improvement in everything Trainz.

:B~)

Hey, that's been the story with every edition of Trainz since '06! (Except maybe 10, which I thought a dud except for TUME's Avery-Drexel route.)

:B~D

Yes! And I still have mental battle scars to prove it... My intolerance to bull**** goes off like a hair trigger these days.

I am still on TANE SP4. I have 5 years invested in my route, with much tinkering to the assets used. I can't imagine I would ever satisfactorily migrate it to the 2019 platform. When the route is finished (I estimate another year and a half) I'll get the current Trainz version and have a go at the migration. But, I expect to be a lifetime TANE SP4 user. To this end I have a backup copy of the SP3 software on an as-yet-unopened CD, and the SP3 to SP4 patcher software, along with two external daily backups of my data folders. My intent is to be able to re-install / restore my TANE SP4 Trainz environment on a new machine when the need arises, even if N3V is no longer with us!

Still using to T:ANE. I originally had the mac equivalent of TS12, but I got T:ANE when the bundle with bonus DLC content was on sale for a price I couldn't say no to. I'm not planning to upgrade to '19 since T:ANE SP3 is functioning fine for me, and I'm not eager to spend more money on a new game. Maybe someday I'll upgrade.

Still using TANE-SP4. I have no desire to go through the pain and suffering of fixing hundreds of content that are just fine in TANE to make them work in 2019. I also dabble in TMR2017, creating tiny, one or two board layouts. Then, when I'm done with them, I import them into TANE after merging them.

Bill

TANE SP1 as I've mentioned in other threads is my favorite by far. I've tried SP2, 3, and 4. But for my needs and wants SP1 is for me.
Dean

An issue running TANE SP4 is that mine has the Avery to Drexel DLC installed which AFAIK has not yet been released for TRS19. As it is impossible to identify for certain the payware assets and these are probably not all on the DLS, putting a route from TANE into TRS19 that uses these likely to lead to a string of missing assets. Even if the user has Avery in TANE installed also I doubt it's a simple process to export all the assets across - for starters mine was purchased from Steam so is integrated with the TANE download rather than a separate packet.
This could apply to other DLCs available in TANE but not yet TRS19, e.g. PLL or Murchison.
The solution I guess is for N3v to put the assets from these routes (but not the route or sessions themselves) on the DLS, so they can be picked up by anyone finding a TANE >>> TRS19 route that uses them.

I use T:ANE SP3 and plan on sticking with it. It works well for me for what I use it for. All I do is work on one huge route that will be divided into smaller sections. The main reason I don't transfer to TRAINS 2019 is because I still use GMAX for making content. The content looks fine in TANE but might not import well into 2019. Taking time away from the route to learn new content making software suitable for 2019 doesn't appeal to me. God willing I live long enough to upload something I feel good about, but it will already be outdated.

Over the years, anytime a route I'm working on gets imported into a newer TRAINZ version, there's massive repair work necessary which took months just to get back to ground zero. That can kill my enthusiasm enough to take a long "time out".
One exception for getting 2019 would be if it came in a box version that was a stand alone platform without dependence on an internet LOG IN . Internet is so expensive where I live that I might have to give it up at some point. I'd hate to think that I couldn't work on a route because I can't LOG IN on the internet.

I use T:ANE SP3 and plan on sticking with it. It works well for me for what I use it for. All I do is work on one huge route that will be divided into smaller sections. The main reason I don't transfer to TRAINS 2019 is because I still use GMAX for making content. The content looks fine in TANE but might not import well into 2019. Taking time away from the route to learn new content making software suitable for 2019 doesn't appeal to me. God willing I live long enough to upload something I feel good about, but it will already be outdated.

Over the years, anytime a route I'm working on gets imported into a newer TRAINZ version, there's massive repair work necessary which took months just to get back to ground zero. That can kill my enthusiasm enough to take a long "time out".
One exception for getting 2019 would be if it came in a box version that was a stand alone platform without dependence on an internet LOG IN . Internet is so expensive where I live that I might have to give it up at some point. I'd hate to think that I couldn't work on a route because I can't LOG IN on the internet.
Internet is so expensive... It is (was for me) here too. Check T-Mobile Home Internet. I could not believe it and I use it now after cutting the cord for good (Not trying to advertise anyone, but this may eventually shut down these providers that steal money from you now).

Internet is so expensive... It is (was for me) here too. Check T-Mobile Home Internet. I could not believe it and I use it now after cutting the cord for good (Not trying to advertise anyone, but this may eventually shut down these providers that steal money from you now).

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.
I live in a very remote area, and satellite internet is the only option, and there's no competition to the one and only survice that provides it here. The signal is lousy, usually goes out for a while everyday and I pay $150 a month for it. Streaming videos can be pretty frustrating to try and watch. Of course it's all blamed now on the Covid thing, because, they say so many people are home and on the internet at the same time. OK....but it wasn't very good a year ago either.
I don't have pay TV and wouldn't take it if it were free. Anyway........nice to have Trainz to work on.

I was wondering if when support stops for Tane, will the validation server be closed down. This will stop us from using it if it does.
Cheers,
Mike

Support for Tane ended about 1st December, but it's still the best version for functionality IMHO.

Edit, that should have said September!

Last edited:
Support for TANE update wise ended back in Sept of this year, but support is still carried out as in getting it work and such, just no updates (according to Zec from the last time I asked him on support).
When the game is no longer sold on the Trainz store that's when its safe to say support has officially ended.

Cheers

I still use TANE SP4 and have no intention of advancing to TRS 19 in the foreseeable future. Although TANE does all that I need of a train simulator, I am plagued by random crashes to desktop when leaving a session or route. I will not invest in superior hardware just to play a game. SP3 was a little better from the point of view of crashes but since my test route is in SP4 I have no choice but to use that version.

All I do is work on one huge route that will be divided into smaller sections.

I am not a route-builder so this may be an inappropriate comment:
Why would you want to divide a large route into small sections?

If you don't have your route already divided into small sections that you work on and that can be merged together then it is too late to chop it up into sections. The process for dividing a route is to delete the unwanted baseboards one-by-one and if there are thousands of them then it could take forever to arrive at a stage where you have small sections.

The correct procedure is to update and maintain the small sections and merge them whenever you need the unified route.

Best Regards - Trevor

I tried TRS 19 - could not get use to its surveyor savings, or the driver mode. I brought in my data files from Tane, but found many items faulty or missing dependencies. My routes/scenarios had many missing items. Since I like making transit routes and using trams, and busses from systems of TRS 10 and Tane would not work in TRS 19. Since the backward compatibility is not working as well as hoped, back to TANE to a system which I understand and enjoy, which is the one of the reason I run TRAINZ.
I keep hoping that there will be new modern transit vehicles made by competent enthusiasts that will work on TRS 19 and with the previous versions.

Back