How many of us are still using TANE ?

I was on TS2010 for about 7 years before upgrading to T:ANE back in April. Unless there's an enormous new game, I'll likely be on T:ANE until the world ends (or covid is history, whichever comes first). T:ANE runs very comfortably on my PC, I don't think my GTX 770 would like 19 very much, and as good as 19 looks, I think you can make T:ANE look almost as good, maybe as good, with decent quality assets, the right lighting effects and decent-ish graphics settings.

I'll be building, playing and hopefully releasing T:ANE routes for many years to come :cool:

Following the release of TS19 SP2, I've noticed some problems with older routes from TANE, TS 12 being imported.
It appears that a lot of assets were marked as "payware", which means that they are only available in the build, not from the DLS. As a result of the SP2 upgrade, a number of legacy "payware" assets have been deleted from the build.

This results in a route/session which is flagged as faulty, missing assets. There's no way to copy or recreate the missing asset, so I'm reduced to hunting out a replacement, or just hoping it doesn't affect the route/session too much.

As a result,. I'm keeping TANE active for all routes that predate TS19 SP2.
From a user point of view it's an inconvenience, but for any new user it will be extremely frustrating to buy the latest Trainz software and find that much of the DLS content doesn't work.

I've started work on an old (TRS 2004) route. While it imports into TANE reasonably - only minor tweaks needed - importing into TS 19 has left the route pretty much empty - no ground elevations, no track, little scenery/ground cover. So, it's back to TANE for any route not built in TS19.

I have to agree with ColPrice2002 in post#82

The update to TS19 SP2 has left me with a staggering amount of faulty and unusable assets thus breaking a lot of my routes in TS19. I really would've liked to get more in to TS19 but this update has left me nonplussed with TS19 therefore I envisage that I will be using T:ANE as my main Trainz platform for the foreseeable future.

I really think N3V has scored an 'own goal' with TS19 SP2, I really don't know what their game is!

Rob.

Dan, I'm still using TRS04 occasionally so take this for what it's worth - 2 cents maybe.

TRS19 NA Regional is installed and I play with it a lot. SP2 was just installed as a stand alone next to the original 19 - just in case. As for TS19 - I don't like the new HUD, creepy ground textures, lighting that just seems to high light the problems with older content (most of the routes I like) and any changes to surveyor tools haven't convinced me they're significantly better than those in TANE. I've yet to test SP2 out but it installed without a problem. I'm not using 19 to build anything of consequence anytime soon.

I've moved from TS12 to TANE for route building and I've restarted building a new version of my home route. I got discouraged several years ago when TANE 1st came out - what a mess. Unfortunately most of the route specific content for it is pretty old. A lot made by people who are not around anymore. Upgrading the important stuff isn't going to happen soon. 8-(

So I have TANE available for building and running (SP3 isn't too bad) and I can port into 19 at any time.

Bob Pearson

I am not a route-builder so this may be an inappropriate comment:
Why would you want to divide a large route into small sections?

If you don't have your route already divided into small sections that you work on and that can be merged together then it is too late to chop it up into sections. The process for dividing a route is to delete the unwanted baseboards one-by-one and if there are thousands of them then it could take forever to arrive at a stage where you have small sections.

The correct procedure is to update and maintain the small sections and merge them whenever you need the unified route.

Best Regards - Trevor
What ?! This can't be ! You mean that I ....I .......I...after all these years........oh NOOOOOOOOO ! :eek: :'(

It's ok....I went crazy over a decade ago and now find deleting baseboards as therapeutic. :confused:

Actually what I do is choose the terminus ahead of time as a stopping / starting point. Heading to a another section of the division, if I'm pulling a local freight, the next siding after the terminus town is where I'll hole up to start the next series of baseboards, and merge them there...keeping the elevation consistent from one to the next. Once it comes time someday, God willing, that I'm ready to merge these sections to run the fast passenger, milk and freight ( non stop) from one end to the other, hopefully it won't be too much of a headache, although it probably will be. Lets see....it's about 175 miles total, including the 2 branch lines off the main division...actual track miles is a bit more. Piece of cake. :eek: Good thing I enjoy doing this . Maybe by that time I'll have a PC that won't bog down from trying to load a totally merged large route ....but I doubt it.

Thanks for the heads up and you are correct.

Last edited:
My question is, how many still use Tane as their primary app or use it to run routes that aren't optimized for 2019?

Tane is still my primary Trainz version that I build in (& modify in). (I'll occasionally import a Tane route & session into TS2019 to test the session in).

I'll have a tutu with TS2019 SP2 and see how that goes in relationship to being able to modifying existing Tane routes & sessions. I never got excited about TS2019 after coming across the whole tunnel/dig hole issue. Has that been properly sorted out as yet???

Cheers, Mac...

I have both versions loaded but use TANE as the 'Driver' interface for TS2019 is considerably less functional for 'AI' style operation. TRS2019 screen stealing pop-up displays max of 4 drivers where TANE has 7 displayed discreetly. Inability to display variables on screen in TRS2019 SP1, (not tried SP2). Displaying 3+ signals out is a laugh when TRS2019 can barely switch 2 signals out. I doubt drivers were much interested in more the next one or perhaps two signals. Marketing differentiation exercise? Until the interface in TRS2019 resurrects the user functionality of previous interfaces, I will continue to use TANE. Moving layouts form TANE to post TRS2019 is bound to be a chore, (only if interface improves), but when hasn't moving versions been a problem.

P.S. I have given up on 'Interlocking Towers' as they repeatedly fail at random. 'AI' stands for 'Artificial Incompetence' as far as 'IT' implementation goes. This logic problem has been around since Trainz 1.3 (18+ years) so I doubt N3V will ever fix this properly.

I did a search for the acronym " AI".......found a few definitions.....scrolled down and found " AI" ..... "ain't interlocking".

My question is, how many still use Tane as their primary app or use it to run routes that aren't optimized for 2019?
Over the last half year I have had hardly any time to spend on / with / for Trainz (and I fear that will stay that way for the foreseeable future), but when I do I am running TANE SP1.

This lack of time is also what is stopping me from investing time and money in TRS19.

I have a lifetime FCT, so I don't fear lack of access to the DLS any time soon.

Having my weekly glass of beer (German purity law) before dinner I wandered in here first time in ages. So...

Tho' it will show tr19 above I dloaded it last year as an act of charity and soon after dumped it 100%.

Use Tane and doesn't matter if no one else uses it. But good luck and lots of blessings for those who do......

blessings to you as well. That was a very nice act of charity and helpful to keep this great software co. alive for the future.

blessings to you as well. That was a very nice act of charity and helpful to keep this great software co. alive for the future.

I always buy a new version, often I don't use them until most of the bugs are removed,( ha ha ) tunnel issues are an issue in all versions but I understand they are also not improved in 2019. If they can come out with a way for me to easily make vegetation for 2019, I'll consider using it for making routes, until then...... its TANE...

Back