How many of us are still using TANE ?

dangavel

Judging from the info I see on peoples posts, it appears most people have graduated to using 2019. I have resisted using 2019 in creating routes as I cant utilize turf fx due to my using a mac and I probably have assets in my current route that wont work/look good in 2019 ( trees and textures , many customised for the route to use in TANE).
My question is, how many still use Tane as their primary app or use it to run routes that aren't optimized for 2019? , I suspect its very few and diminishing daily . I cant face updating an 80 mile route for 2019 and I cant see much point in developing it further in TANE and making it available on the DLS if hardly anyone is going to run it. I'm not throwing in the towel, just thinking that if only a handful of users are going to run this thing as intended I can do this project just for my own satisfaction and not worry if I never complete the route.

I still use Tane and if I haven't completed/updated a route in SP4 I prefer to use SP3 as it doesn't have SP4s problems. New routes I am doing in TRS19, although it has so many problems I still don't like it. There may be more using Tane than you realise, but it would be interesting to know how many.

I started in Trainz with Trainz 10 and updated to 12, then TANE and then TRS19. I consider TANE the sweet spot. It performs better than Trainz 12 and looks good. I don't like TRS19 at all. I have never been a big fan of billboard trees but can live with them in TANE. In TRS19 they look terrible.

Even though I have TS2019 I still run TANE SP3 and TS2012 on a regular basis. Some older routes don't translate well in TS2019 without a lot of work and since they look fine in TANE that's where they're going to stay. I don't have TANE SP4 since it's basically TS2019 with a different hat on and I own TS2019 already.

I think you'll be surprised how many Trainz folk are still running TANE Dan.

Most of your stuff looks fine in TRS19, it's not compulsory to use TurfFX in TRS19, I'm building my L&B route in TRS19 however I still use TANE for some routes. Both versions have their good and bad points.
I'm pretty sure all the NG enthusiasts will want to run it be it in TANE or TRS19.

As Malc has pointed out you don't have to use TurfFX, or PBR textures for that matter. I have just upgraded and expanded an old TS2006 route of mine to TRS19 standards and have replaced all the Billboard trees with SpeedTrees, upgraded all the track to procedural, and replaced many of the older scenery assets with better looking equivalents. TurfFX and PBR I put into the "too hard basket" for this project.

The end result is, IMHO, amazingly better than the original.

I still have TANE installed on my system but haven't used it for months. When it comes time for the next HD cleanup it will probably go.

i have considered updating the timber ridge route in 2019,just to see i f I could use it ( like gman I hate the interface ) .

I had a look at it recently and apart from some missing industries ,and random cliff splines that I never used in the build in the first place scattered around the route ( ?) its not that much of a task, but when it comes to replacing Billboards and the snow covered trees I think there will be issues, as the bulk replacement tool never worked properly with the parts that had been merged into the original.

I'd really like to make it standard gauge in 2019 so there could be more different types of rolling stock used, but it would mean remaking all those tunnels, I doubt i can stand the stress levels involved , oh for a bulk tunnel/bridge replacement tool.!!!!!

Have both: 2019 is pretty, and also AI is pretty stupid. TANE is not so pretty, but AI gets to be dumb, not so stupid. So my bulk play is on TANE.

If you want numbers, Dan, I can only say that my latest Fond du Lac Branch route update, which was put up last week, has had 45 downloads (mine own included) so far.

My latest session for it, say two weeks ago, has had 27 + 1.

That's not really definitive because I've been told that it works fine in 19.

I'm happy with T:ANE SP4 despite the breakages and don't plan to move on. I still drop back to 12, and even 09, for some of the stuff that hasn't come forward. I don't have 06 loaded anymore but I moved what I liked on to 09.

:B~)

Nope. T:ANE was an advance over previous versions of Trainz. But TRS19 is a great leap forward. It's so much better than T:ANE that I've abandoned T:ANE altogether.

As for TRS19 downloads of my layouts:
Loleta - 180
IntenCity - 987
Krashnburne - 1253
Deepwater - 1448
Lilliput - 712
Yuan Gulch - 1883
Hoofhearted - 2068
Man, Phrom, Laramee - 3446

So either one person is doing lots and lots of downloads, or TRS19 is quite popular.

Phil

I am still running Tane. It does what I want and can't justify getting 2019. I don't really the look of the scenery in 2019.
I still have Ts10 and TS12 but don't use them very much. Mainly for a bit of nostalgia for my old favourite routes in their original form.
Cheers,
Mike

For some reason TANE always looks foggy and dull to me. I'm not much interested in Turf FX but I do like PBR. I only keep TANE and earlier versions because I have no choice at this time.

So, I prefer TRS19 even if I don't like the revised interface. TANE was always a stepping stone to something better IMHO.

Nope. T:ANE was an advance over previous versions of Trainz. But TRS19 is a great leap forward. It's so much better than T:ANE that I've abandoned T:ANE altogether.

As for TRS19 downloads of my layouts:
Loleta - 180
IntenCity - 987
Krashnburne - 1253
Deepwater - 1448
Lilliput - 712
Yuan Gulch - 1883
Hoofhearted - 2068
Man, Phrom, Laramee - 3446

So either one person is doing lots and lots of downloads, or TRS19 is quite popular.

Phil

I don't know what to make of those numbers sometimes, according to the DLS I've had 7858 downloads of the timber ridge line, but the assets specifically relating to the route have only between 300 500 downloads . Sometimes people have issues downloading routes which they don't have when it comes to assets. I don't mind if even 200 people use the route, it makes it worthwhile doing it and releasing it on the DLS.

I think it all depends on what sort of routes one makes whether 2019 is a huge advance. I like to use the right vegetation if I can. Since there is a real dearth of the correct rocky mountain vegetation I need 2019 isnt much good for me, if one is modelling say the east coast /midwest of the USA or Europe its much better.

philskene has some impressive numbers but over what period of time. I guess it has to be 2 years maximum given TRS19 only came out in December (?) 2018. In 2 years and 2 months my Zig-Zag Route (my first and in need of improving) in Tane has had 3895 downloads, and probably not by the same person either lol.
pcas1986 if Tane looks foggy then the environment isn't set correctly, tone down the fog would be the first step. I've seen some great shots in Tane that were nearly as good as TRS19, all depends on setting the environment to the best possible.

pcas1986 if Tane looks foggy then the environment isn't set correctly, tone down the fog would be the first step. I've seen some great shots in Tane that were nearly as good as TRS19, all depends on setting the environment to the best possible.

Well, I know all that. I change it to a nice sunny day but the fog just rolls back in.

I have TANE, but very rarely use it.
I have TRS19 basic (ex Plus) and I use it every day for route building, only time I drive is to test a route.
I dislike the new PBR ground textures (JellyTex) because they just do not work on anything with an angle due to the baseboard's parallax surface, embankment slopes etc, as you drive past the ground moves due to the parallax effect, very unrealistic. So I just use 'normal' ground textures with a normal map added for effect.
I am not a fan of Turf FX so that doesn't get used either. (not saying it's no good, I just don't like it)
Lighting, well, people complain about it, but I have it under control, for a desert environment you will like it.
I have converted now 50+ of my own modelz and routes to TRS19 and had very few problems. Do good housekeeping in TANE first (updates, out of dates etc) before updating.

I still use TANE as I have a slow Broadband connection and TRS19 is only available to download, no DVD is available.
There must be plenty of Trainzers who do not upgrade because of slow internet or because they cannot understand the bewildering array of TRS19 versions.

Ken

I think a lot depends on what you want. If you want to operate a railway in a reasonably prototypical way through a landscape that while not ultra realistic is pleasing enough then TANE, - or even TS2012, - is most probably fine. My own railway modelling background is in Uk coarse scale 'O' gauge so I'm happy with things that are an adequate representation rather than utterly fastidiously correct. I'd much rather have a steam locomotive from the legacy era of Trainz that is basically correct in its proportions, even though it's not ultra detailed, that runs wells well than something that's supposedly exact in all its details, but coated in shiny jelly. As for JellyTex ground textures and Tuft-whatsit I really don't want to know about them.
I own TS2019, but I run it with all the magic stuff and shadows switched off so that it's basically 64 bit TS2012. If the menus were less bewildering to access and easier to read I might use it more that I do.

I am still with TANE SP4 for the basic reason when I transfered thnings into TS19 ran into the too many assets are now payware and the other types of payware packages prevent everyone the ability to use...
So I am staying with Tane to finish building my projects...
Dave =)

Back