Is it possible if someone could help me?

I really need some help on getting started with kitbashing, I find myself lost when I try and attempt any kitbashing and just dont really know where to start, if someone could please teach me the basics it would be very appreciated!

Please define "kitbashing" in relation the Trainz. Google defines it as making a model from parts of other models - do you mean making a model loco, for example? In which case you will need to use Blender or similar. Do you mean route building by combining other "ready built" routes from the DLS? In which case you will need to know how to merge routes (with all the problems that can cause).

Or kitbashing to put a group of assets together to make something larger, eg pipework at a factory complex, an electrical substation etc.

Something like this maybe? Component splines are in the foreground and the completed "kit bashed" model behind them. The stone arch bridge in the distance is in the correct position with the 4 track PRR main line layed on it representing the PRR crossing of the Juniata R. at Mt Union, PA.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The model is a kind buildable scenery asset. I used a short "stick" mesh that's invisible in driver and I added 22 attachment points to correctly position the component splines. I had to stretch the arch spline to almost 2x the mesh length to get the 118' for each arch span so 6 separate splines are needed. And I had to use 2 splines offset side by side to get the required width so that's now 12 spline sections. Plus the end abutments and the iron railings on the top. Try putting that together in Surveyor and then move it around a bit to get the right fit. This is just a test module - I have to do it again for the final.

Add the attachment points to the mesh with the IM editor and connect all the spline pieces up in the attached "track" section of the buildable's config. The splines are made by other content creators and available on the DLS. Viaduct and Flyover by samplaire and Blue railings by Marky7890.

Now I have a single scenery asset that I can work with easily in Surveyor.

Bob Pearson

PS. This is a special model I made because I couldn't find anything close enough to suite me and I wasn't going to build it from scratch in Blender just now. The original had 6 spans @118', 700+ feet overall length and a width of ~55' to accommodate the 4 tracks. The original spline layed out at 700' had 9 arches @~78' and only 39' wide. Not what I was looking for. 2 side by side would be ok for a place holder but the kit bashed version can pass for the original if needed.

You can include additional parts that are meshes from other scenery items just by including them in the mesh-table and using the position and rotation tags to correctly locate and orient them in the model. But in newer versions of Trainz LOD consideration/requirements tend to complicate things so not quite as simple as it sounds.

Last edited:
I owned and operated a hobby store for five years. Members of the plastic model and railroad clubs and others referred to kit bashing as having an off the shelf model but then replacing and/or modifying out of the box parts with more realistic parts such as photo etch detail parts , resin detail, custom decals, etc.

Not sure what kit bashing in Trainz would be nor what the OP had in mind. Just as example, perhaps replacing poor buildings in routes, with more realistic buildings, etc???

Last edited:
I really need some help on getting started with kitbashing, I find myself lost when I try and attempt any kitbashing and just dont really know where to start, if someone could please teach me the basics it would be very appreciated!

In order to modify a model you need access to the source. Basically many are created in Blender then exported. Usually the sources are not readily available. You can repaint them a process called reskinning and you can substitute one asset for another in a layout as has been mentioned earlier.

Creating in Blender is possible and it is free.

Cheerio John

Back