Bad track!

Yeah mate. She's a beauty alright. We wouldn't be game to put anything on it out here in Australia. I wonder if those guys get issued with toilet paper and clean undies ;-D
Regards
Frank

From what I read, the short line has been purchased by someone else not too long ago and track has been rebuilt in many places.

It's pretty bad and much like that which belongs to our local railway, which was recently purchased by CSX. See the Pan Am thread in prototype talk forum.

Hi John,
That video absolutely blew me away. How in hell can these companies allow men and machines to operate on track like this? Excuse the French but It's a bloody disgrace!
The guys out here would walk off the job. I looked at the Pan Am thread and fair dinkum...............It beggars belief. That's all I can say mate.
God Bless and have a Great Christmas
Kind regards
Frank

Hi John,
That video absolutely blew me away. How in hell can these companies allow men and machines to operate on track like this? Excuse the French but It's a bloody disgrace!
The guys out here would walk off the job. I looked at the Pan Am thread and fair dinkum...............It beggars belief. That's all I can say mate.
God Bless and have a Great Christmas
Kind regards
Frank

It is amazing the company remained in business for so long before they were bought. The old line in the video was once a main line!

Regarding Pan Am, they had high finance behind them from Timothy Mellon of the Mellon Bank. The company was more or less a tax write-off for the owners. PAR was once the Boston and Maine, Maine Central and shortly included the Delaware and Hudson. All three of these railways/roads here were some of the earliest companies in the US. The B&M its self dates back to the early 1840s with the early portions dating back to the early 1830s. The MEC had European influence and also British influence because of the Canadian heritage and associations with Canada. The D&H was once a canal company dating back to about 1800 if not earlier. After PAR, or earlier Guilford got their paws on them, the group decimated these early companies.

Sad. I am happy Pan Am is going away. Workers did walk off their jobs on Guilford in the 1980s after an accident was caused due to poor maintenance. Sad!

It is amazing the company remained in business for so long before they were bought. The old line in the video was once a main line!

Regarding Pan Am, they had high finance behind them from Timothy Mellon of the Mellon Bank. The company was more or less a tax write-off for the owners. PAR was once the Boston and Maine, Maine Central and shortly included the Delaware and Hudson. All three of these railways/roads here were some of the earliest companies in the US. The B&M its self dates back to the early 1840s with the early portions dating back to the early 1830s. The MEC had European influence and also British influence because of the Canadian heritage and associations with Canada. The D&H was once a canal company dating back to about 1800 if not earlier. After PAR, or earlier Guilford got their paws on them, the group decimated these early companies.

Sad. I am happy Pan Am is going away. Workers did walk off their jobs on Guilford in the 1980s after an accident was caused due to poor maintenance. Sad!

My dad worked for Pan Am Airlines for decades. After they folded in the 80's (got screwed by Delta), it seemed weird / sad for me to see the once great Pan Am logo on those box cars...along with the graffiti. It was the ultimate insult. Hate to see any rail company go under, but it sounds like they had it coming.

The guys out here would walk off the job.
The track in the video is extreme, but there are many area's in the U.S. that are pretty bad, especially out in the western states. I recall back around 15 years ago when maintenance budgets were cut by both BNSF and Union Pacific. Much of the really bad track is in remote areas where it isn't seen by the public. There are also many more derailments occurring than the public is aware of as the majority of them happen in these remote areas and the public never hears of them.

Back