Trainz is not realistic.

ukko_pekka

If you are looking for a realistic train simulator, Trainz is not for you. The only realistic thing in TRS2019 is the graphics. But what is not realistic in this simulator? The cabins doesn't have noise filters. It gives a very unrealistic and annoying feeling, like there are no glasses on the windows. The second major problem is the sounds of the electric trains. They aren't realistic. Compare them into TS20xx or TSW. If you are looking for a realistic simulator, try TS20xx, and if realistic graphics are more important than long routes or world editor, try TSW. Trainz is more like a model simulator than driving simulator, like Transport Fever 2.

Welcome to the forums.

You can have either great graphics and few models that are all payware, or you can have the happy road in the middle. Trainz is that happy road in between with 500K-plus assets available for download including locomotives. N3V themselves make very little if any content and rely on the community made up of individuals just like you and me to provide the models for us to use for free and payware.

The some of the updated payware models have sound-dampening. Try some of the DLC from Jointed Rail. The interiors of their diesels are far quieter than some of the others out there. You see this has to do with settings within the complex configuration files associated with the models. Which tag and where it supposed to go is detailed in sparse documentation, but you might be lucky to find this on the Wiki which does get updated from time to time.

TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

Trainz was once marketed and sold as a model railroad simulator, and I've always thought of it as such with the capabilities that put it well beyond what can be done on plywood and plaster. If you keep it in mind as such, you can have fun with it just the same.

With that said, enjoy what you have because this is a unique program that can provide hours upon hours of enjoyment for many people.

Don't let it bother you so much :)

4pknpy.jpg

If the OP doesn't like TS2019 and prefers DTG's offerings then why is he here complaining about it? I could go on a DTG forum and complain about how I dislike their simulator, but I've got much better things to do with my time.

The thing about Trainz is that if you don't like something there is frequently the opportunity to help yourself and others by doing something about it, for example create your own new scenery, textures, rolling stock, routes, sessions and even more realistic sound files, and then having them published on the DLS for all to enjoy. Peter

Fair point, but you still purchased 4 editions of Trainz. Why did you do that if it was not the type of program you like?

Or was their userid on the forum hacked? Not that difficult to do. The userids are available in plain sight. Sit down with the hundred most common passwords or even the five most common ones and I dare say you'll be in quite quickly.

Cheerio John

Only took him six years to write his first post! As they say if you don't like it move on, why waste time complaining? If that's all he has to offer it's a sad life really. Next... :hehe:

If the OP doesn't like TS2019 and prefers DTG's offerings then why is he here complaining about it? I could go on a DTG forum and complain about how I dislike their simulator, but I've got much better things to do with my time.

PBR, that's why :) .

The difference between TS and TRS is that TS is done - the only developments for the sim are coming from third parties that try to push that old game engine to its limits, and it seems to have worked successfully.

Trainz seems to be an ongoing WIP that shows the slightest bit of promise if it is steered in the right direction. From what I see, the biggest (realistic) gripes are the physics and sound. JR locos might have a quiet cab but it's more of an actual lowering of the volume, rather than damping the high frequencies like you'd expect in a real cab. Some sounds are actually more apparent in the cab in real life than from outside, the compressors and exhausters being a couple of them. The tap changers on AC electrics also produce a mild "clunk" noise that cannot be heard from outside.

Hopefully whatever OP is complaining about can be fixed with TNI plugins that allow, in effect, endless customization compared to Trainzscript and Lua.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, everything out there has their pros and cons...
There won't be that single thing that will make everyone happy, there will always be at least one that won't be happy.

Cheers

ukko --

I actually agree with most of your comments. Apart from the final sentence.

The graphics in the DTG simulation are gorgeous and flow so magnificently. The locomotives and rolling stock are absolute works of art.

The main issue I have, though, is that it's just so mind numbing BORING. The routes are long and monotonous. There is no route editor. It's almost impossible to construct your own sessions. You are tied to tightly scripted sessions where you have to do prescribed tasks in exactly the specified sequence.

Worst of all, you are forced to purchase an endless stream of payware. There is no freeware because the tools are not available and because it's beyond the ability of most mortals who are not privy to the internal workings of the simulation to actually construct anything. And it's obvious that DTG want to maintain strict control of content.

If you enjoy that, fine. Most of us here, however, enjoy the freedom that Trainz offers, and the sense that we can share our creations, be it routes, layouts, structures, trees, ... . Trainz is a community. It caters for various interests -- construction, modification, operation. And it's fun.

Phil

AKA that 1611mac & Phil.
My DTG - last years edition (was a Christmas gift).
I lasted all of 3 minutes in-game (after it took forever to load) only to find I couldn't step into the train having to follow the tight scripting.
It is now a shelved - dust collector!

I've worked on both simulators. If you want to drive a train, I suggest Train Simulator XX, If you want to build a route I suggest Trainz. Phil is right, there is a certain freedom with Trainz. While you can make content and built routes with both, Trainz has more free ware to help get the job done. Trainz also has the more people willing to help others with questions. The kuid number system is also a big plus! In TSXX so few creators seem to know the real answers and even less of those creators are willing to help out. Getting content creation information in TSXX is like pulling teeth!

The thing I like most about Trainz is that you can take route designed by someone else and modify it to do what you want. I have a massive route that is just all of Philskene's early routes joined together. I have heavily modified it by having all dual track where possible. I use a simple signaling system with just the 04 signals placed at each junction and every so often along the tracks to allow free movement.
The sessions are all AI driven, I just keep an eye if someone gets stuck. This happens rarely and I will modify things to stop it happening again.
I give simple orders, Like pickup here and go to there, can be from one side of the map to the other.
I use very few trackmarks (usually only to enter or leave an industry).
At present I have 50 trains working on the route at the same time quite happily. They are all running in AI.
I am using maybe 60% of the available industries at the moment and add more trains every few days.
My computer takes a bit of a hit when I first start the session. It takes around 2 minutes to load the route. Trains stagger for the first few seconds when evrything starts up at the same time, then settles and runs smoothly for as long as I run the sessions. I rarely ever drive a train. I start to fall asleep within about 10 minutes. Good for when I have insomnia.
I have tried a few other train sims but none can compare to the versatility of Trainz.
Cheers,
Mike

Back